problem, someone please help :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a little problem. I took Anatomy and Physiology in high school (June1996) through Regents College. I received college credit for it and the transcript says "recommended letter grade: A". When I applied to dental schools the first time, I also sent this transcript (to your office, to aadsas, etc). A couple of years ago, this college changed its name to Excelsior College. I recently called their transcript office to ask something and they said my grade would now show up as a "P". They said before June 1996, they only gave out P/F. The thing I don't understand is that I have a transcript in front of me (dated from 1/18/00) from Regents college and the letter grade is A. I don't understand how I could use this grade when I first applied to dental school and now it's changed?

I spoke to someone in their testing department and they said for me to send a copy of the transcript w/a note attached. I hope this will resolve it, but if not, I don't know how bad this will hurt me. I could definitely use an A grade, especially w/my past record in the sciences...or should it not matter too much because the schools will be looking at my more recent work anyways. Have you ever heard of a problem like this? Sorry to bother you, and I appreciate your help. :) :confused: :( :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Because it was a couple of years ago and the fact that you were in High school taking a college course, I believe that even a P in a P/F course will look good. It may effect the calculated GPA on the AADSAS app but I believe that more recent work is more importaint. I have a D+ on my transcript for the same class from 1994. I did not even explain the grade to the schools.

many times you cannot use a p/f grade system on major coursework. If this is the case at your anticipated dental schools then you need to go up the ladder at your former college until you find someone that will help you. Go up the ladder one step at a time though so that you don't get an unexpected "no" from the top person, leaving you hopeless. Best of luck, hope that helps.

thanks guys...I just sent a copy of my transcript to the testing administration part of that school (the lady I spoke with). Hopefully it'll be straightened out. I figure, worse case scenario: I have to take the P, its still in the past when I first applied to dental school, so the earlier work should still count more. Thanks :)