foolonthehill

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
one of my profs gave me a copy of the rec he wrote and sent out. it is overall a positive one, but in one section he mentioned how i had some difficulties w/ stress at an one point but was able to overcome that. is this very bad? i mean, it was like one semester where i struggled a bit w/ my course load and also had some medical issues (he didn't mention this specifically) and eventually had to withdraw from a class. i'm worried med schools will read this and think i can't handle stress, even though that term happened at the very beginning of my college career and it was the only w i had on my transcript. i didn't feel like it merited any explanation so when schools asked those explain-difficulties questions i didn't mention it. i feel confident explaining the particulars of the situation if asked, but i fear people won't even give me a chance (to interview). please help! sorry if i sound hysterical; i just don't want this one sentence to crush my dreams. :(

rajad10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
Medical Student
foolonthehill said:
one of my profs gave me a copy of the rec he wrote and sent out. it is overall a positive one, but in one section he mentioned how i had some difficulties w/ stress at an one point but was able to overcome that. is this very bad? i mean, it was like one semester where i struggled a bit w/ my course load and also had some medical issues (he didn't mention this specifically) and eventually had to withdraw from a class. i'm worried med schools will read this and think i can't handle stress, even though that term happened at the very beginning of my college career and it was the only w i had on my transcript. i didn't feel like it merited any explanation so when schools asked those explain-difficulties questions i didn't mention it. i feel confident explaining the particulars of the situation if asked, but i fear people won't even give me a chance (to interview). please help! sorry if i sound hysterical; i just don't want this one sentence to crush my dreams. :(
i think it's a good thing if he mentioned you were stressed out and then overcame it...schools can be confident you'll be resilient to the stress that every med student experiences. don't worry - it's nothing you can control at this point anyway - roll with it...it's not bad

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
foolonthehill said:
It's a good thing... You took something that came at you and succeeded. What else did you want from them? They made you seem like a human being! I heard those Homo sapiens can practice medicine too.

About the Ads

SpeakLittleB

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Boston, MA
Status
MD/PhD Student
I've heard that adcoms are slightly suspicious of letters that don't portray any negative aspects at all. No one is perfect, and the fact that your recommender can address such an instance about you shows that he knows you well and really speaks truly about your capabilities. More likely than not, your recommender knows what he's doing, and purposely wrote that part in to show your ability to overcome difficult situations. trust your recommenders... if they're faculty, they've probably written tons of letters and really know what works.

Doctor~Detroit

this poll sux!!!
10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
Status
SpeakLittleB said:
I've heard that adcoms are slightly suspicious of letters that don't portray any negative aspects at all. No one is perfect, and the fact that your recommender can address such an instance about you shows that he knows you well and really speaks truly about your capabilities. More likely than not, your recommender knows what he's doing, and purposely wrote that part in to show your ability to overcome difficult situations. trust your recommenders... if they're faculty, they've probably written tons of letters and really know what works.
yes, you should be thankful he made the recommendation sound sincere.

OP
F

foolonthehill

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
hey thanks for the reassurance guys. let's home med schools agree.

About the Ads