Problem with bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurkTurkleton92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have some concerns toward the bio section. Normally, I'm great with biology; I tutor bio 1 and 2 and I've taken a couple upper division classes and done fine in them. I'm doing the 4 month study program and whenever I take TBR passages, I tank. I'm talking like 2/7 or 3/7 average. I got around 65% on my first EK exam, which isn't good, but it's better than TBR. I wouldn't care about what I'm scoring right now if I felt like I was learning something. Whenever I take a passage on this, I feel like it's a verbal reasoning passage, but just harder. I don't have any problems with any other section. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you beforehand.

Members don't see this ad.

The bio section doesn't just test your knowledge of material, but also your critical thinking/analysis skills. If you're used to having biology exams that only test whether you know the material or not, the MCAT passages may be a bit tough at first. You could know a lot about basic cell bio, and yet still get a lot of questions wrong on a cell bio passage.

My advice is to read carefully and think critically. If they're doing an experiment, make sure you understand the question, hypothesis, and methods. Pay attention to graphs/tables/figures. Look at the questions that you get wrong, are you consistently getting a type of question wrong? Make sure you read the solution/explanation and understand them before you move on. Try to understand WHY you chose an incorrect answer, and HOW you overlooked the correct answer. Combined with practice from more passages (and as long as you know the basic material), I think you should see your score improve with time. Good luck.

TBR passages are not even comparable to the real deal. They are way too hard. Use TPRH workbook.

I took MCAT a few months ago, and I barely found a question that required me to recall details. Most of them could be answered by referring to the passages.

Last edited:
TPRH SW has the better passages, but I do vouch for around half of the TBR Bio passages in a sense that they are very useful in solidifying content knowledge. In retrospect I would've completely skipped BS content review and just use TBR Bio passages as a content review, with TPRH for strict time drilling.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I have some concerns toward the bio section. Normally, I'm great with biology; I tutor bio 1 and 2 and I've taken a couple upper division classes and done fine in them. I'm doing the 4 month study program and whenever I take TBR passages, I tank. I'm talking like 2/7 or 3/7 average. I got around 65% on my first EK exam, which isn't good, but it's better than TBR. I wouldn't care about what I'm scoring right now if I felt like I was learning something. Whenever I take a passage on this, I feel like it's a verbal reasoning passage, but just harder. I don't have any problems with any other section. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you beforehand.

I got a 14 on bio using only the EK review book. I thought TBR was great for physics and gen chem, but the bio was way too detailed and dense IMO. a good gauge would be to take one of the later AAMC tests to see where you stand.

Don't gauge yourself on TBR bio...as mentioned, too difficult. Too focused on minute details requiring too much previous knowledge. The real MCAT uses less previous knowledge and more judgement/problem solving ability.

AAMC practice tests are the best, most legit way to test yourself on any passage.

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate all the replies. I think I'll stick with the EK/TBR combo since over preparing wouldn't be the worst thing. Once again, I really appreciate the replies.

Reactions: 1 user