Problem with minor...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tallface

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got into a school a few weeks ago (yay!), but I have since discovered a problem...

I put down that I was planning on getting an anthro minor on my amcas. I was on track for it, until I discovered yesterday that the class I'm now taking this semester does NOT count for the minor, even though it has the same prefix as the rest of the anthro classes (because it's technically taught out of the biology dept) (what a confusing trap that turned out to be). So, in order to get the minor, I'd have to double up and take 2 anthro classes next semester to catch up. I do not want to do this, as my major's capstone class is going to be a bear anyway, I have to take 2 other electives to fulfill a diffrerent requirement, and I'd rather take a more med school-preparatory class like physiology as the final class in the schedule. But do I have to take the anthro since I declared the minor on my amcas? I don't want to have the acceptance revoked for being lazy, but I don't want to take a hellish schedule for my last semester, esp. since I still have several interviews to go. Do schools care much about minors? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks for your help. And shame on my advisors for giving me terrible advice on suggesting that class (they fell for the trap too).

Members don't see this ad.

So I got into a school a few weeks ago (yay!), but I have since discovered a problem...

I put down that I was planning on getting an anthro minor on my amcas. I was on track for it, until I discovered yesterday that the class I'm now taking this semester does NOT count for the minor, even though it has the same prefix as the rest of the anthro classes (because it's technically taught out of the biology dept) (what a confusing trap that turned out to be). So, in order to get the minor, I'd have to double up and take 2 anthro classes next semester to catch up. I do not want to do this, as my major's capstone class is going to be a bear anyway, I have to take 2 other electives to fulfill a diffrerent requirement, and I'd rather take a more med school-preparatory class like physiology as the final class in the schedule. But do I have to take the anthro since I declared the minor on my amcas? I don't want to have the acceptance revoked for being lazy, but I don't want to take a hellish schedule for my last semester, esp. since I still have several interviews to go. Do schools care much about minors? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks for your help. And shame on my advisors for giving me terrible advice on suggesting that class (they fell for the trap too).

Congrats on the acceptance.

Medical schools don't care what minors you have.

You should be fine without the anthro minor on your transcript.

Call just to confirm

They're not going to give a crap. That said, a) physio's not going to make a whole lot of difference, and b) are you going to wuss out on your course load in med school?

Also, aren't you responsible for your own schedule when it all comes down to it, or is that a thing of the past?

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools wont care. After acceptance as long as you a) graduate and b)get at least a C- in your remaining coursework, you will still have a spot.

Something similar happened to me with my anthropology minor. I took a class that was only a 200 level vs. a 300 level for anthropology in my final semester when I needed a second 300 level. I didn't even think about it as taking the 300 levels weren't possible for me to take due to scheduling issues. Either way, I had a 4.0 in my four anthro courses and I talked to my adviser and the full professor in the department that I had for the final course. She talked the adviser into signing it through and I got it. If I didn't get it it wouldn't have mattered but I still would have been mad at the time.

I'd recommend that you just take the second anthro course for three reasons.

First, taking a physiology class now won't make that big of a difference for med school; they will teach you what you need to know and you should take advantage of these last chances at a well-rounded liberal arts education.

Second, you won't have to explain to your med school about dropping the minor. I am sure it wouldn't really matter, but do you really want to have to do that?

Finally, in the future, when people ask you what you studied in college, you can mention your anthropology minor which makes you sound more interesting than if you have just a Bio major or some other ubiquitous choice. You won't want to have to explain that you would have minored in anthro except for a course mix-up. This sounds very lame, and I speak from experience on this because I dropped my minor for a similar reason during my senior year of college, and while it is not really a big deal I mildly regret it every so often during conversations like this (which come up even now during residency interviews).

The chances of them caring if you drop the minor are really really small, but are none-the-less greater than the chances of college pre-med classes helping you in medical school. Take the antro class.