Problem with Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just can't seem to understand physics :( Yet if i stay premed there is no going around it. Heck i can drop it this quarter, but then i wil ultimately have to take it anyways. HELP

Members don't see this ad.

I just can't seem to understand physics :( Yet if i stay premed there is no going around it. Heck i can drop it this quarter, but then i wil ultimately have to take it anyways. HELP
The best advice I can give you is to not be afraid to ask for help. Ask peers, TAs, the prof, whatever - you may be nervous or scared or think "I can do this without them", but just give it a shot. I started college thinking I could do it all on my own, but it turned out I couldn't, and that was okay. You'll need to do lots of practice problems and ask lots of questions - if something SEEMS to make sense but you're not feeling the lightbulb turn on, ask again, try again. Don't let uncertainty overwhelm you. good luck!

I'm in physics right now too. I made the mistake of barely studying for the first exam and I didn't do too well. Physics reminds me a lot of general chemistry as far as studying techniques are concerned....do lots of practice problems. I did a lot better on my second exam because I spent a ridiculous amount of time doing practice problems. Ask for help from your TAs and professors. My instructor is so great about helping me. I go to her office hours and she will give me practice problems and then help guide me through them. I got really fortunate to have an instructor who is good at explaining. Basically, for me, practice problems are key. Also, keep confidence in yourself. If other people can do it, so can you. That attitude helps me a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Physics is easy! Just plug and chug. You have basic equations with variables. Figure out what you have or don't have. BTW itll come up on the mcats.

Physics is easy! Just plug and chug. You have basic equations with variables. Figure out what you have or don't have. BTW itll come up on the mcats.

I don't know if you are semi-joking or not, but that isn't the best way to do well in physics. You should try to understand the concepts, and figure out which of those concepts you have to put together in order to solve the problem.

I had the same problem. I was always a "hit-and-run" learner. I basically did well if I had a general understanding of the topic. When it came to physics this changed: physics requires that you FULLY understand the concepts. Once I started making sure that I fully understood the concepts, I realized that physics was like any other subject. It's all about organizing your thoughts and applying what have you learned.

I would also recommend that you use http://www.cramster.com/. I found this website really helpful when I had no clue about how to solve a problem

I'd suggest working every problem type once with the use of a solutions manual, then go through and rework them on you own without a solutions manual, and then try to do other problems of the same type on your own. I used this method and it worked out well for me and I do feel as though I understood all of the concepts (you should be able to tell if you actually understand the concepts when in the lab).

Oooo! Is that so? I'm sure if the OP had known that before he/she would be acing physics no problem!!!!

OP, I had the same difficuties with physics. Ive struggled with it since high school and I even considered going the PA route at one point b/c they dont require physics for entry..... I dont really have any magical advice to make it easy (because its not, and I also didnt do too well in it) but all you can do is try with all your might to do as good as possible. Do practice tests, practice problems, homework problems, made up problems, get a tutor, work with students, visit the professor, pay attention in class, etc. etc. I did all of that and I still ended up with a B-, not too hot of a grade, but teh point is that I survived, I moved on with my life, and I kept doing what needed to be done to make me a competitive applicant despite the fac that I suck at physics. The other great thing is that if you approach every class you take with the same type of drive to succeed as I described for physics, you will dominate all of them and the As you rack up for those coures will FAR outshine the one grade you get in physics. Trust me. Don't let one stupid class get in the way of your dream. I almost let that happen and I most certainly would have regretted it down the road.

Oh, and once you survive the course.....the MCAT physics is way easier. Its still physics, and its still difficult, but its not the same type of questions. Most of the answers can be found from teh passage and if you figure out the system you can end up with a decent score.

Good luck and if you have any questions PM me!

Last edited:

I agree with some of the previous posters. I was once in you situation as well. The most grueling class I've had to take was physics thus far. With physics, you have to just keep going at it and doing all the problems in the book, and if you're still struggling, do more. Ask the professor for help or any TA's. Also, I thought that guides such as Schaum's Outlines helped me out with the class by giving example problems along with the full description of how to solve it.

You must have had an easy teacher. My Physics class was anything but plug and chug. It was very conceptual and if you didn't understand the concept, there was no way you'd get the problems right.

Try joining a study group - it really helps.