Problem with State Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zach1201

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently changed my residency. When I registered for the MCAT, I was a NY resident (was in the process of changing residency). When I received my score report for the MCAT, my state residency is listed as NY. The problem is that I am currently an IL resident. I've contacted AAMC and they've led me along and done nothing to fix the problem.

My perdicament is that this is what is holding up my submission of the AMCAS. Any suggestions as to how to expedite the process?

P.S. AAMC is slow because of the D.C. area flooding!

Members don't see this ad.

zach1201 said:
I recently changed my residency. When I registered for the MCAT, I was a NY resident (was in the process of changing residency). When I received my score report for the MCAT, my state residency is listed as NY. The problem is that I am currently an IL resident. I've contacted AAMC and they've led me along and done nothing to fix the problem.

My perdicament is that this is what is holding up my submission of the AMCAS. Any suggestions as to how to expedite the process?

P.S. AAMC is slow because of the D.C. area flooding!

I don't think this would really slow down your process. The instructions state something along the lines of "If you have residency in more than one state, you must choose one."

I know that is NOT your issue here, but I mean this to say that a difference in residency between MCAT and AMCAS App would most likely not cause a slowdown. If anything, you will just have to show the IL school that you are in fact a resident (when/if they ask for this proof). Otherwise I think you're fine.

I would not worry about it because the only thing that matters is the residency you put on your AMCAS application. For all my state schools I have to prove I am a resident by typing in Driver's license, voting registration and car registration so just make sure that you have all of the stuff in order with IL as your state and I think you should be fine. Schools just see your score, not your score report so I don't think should be any confusion.

KatdyerA1A said:
I would not worry about it because the only thing that matters is the residency you put on your AMCAS application. For all my state schools I have to prove I am a resident by typing in Driver's license, voting registration and car registration so just make sure that you have all of the stuff in order with IL as your state and I think you should be fine. Schools just see your score, not your score report so I don't think should be any confusion.

The only thing that you may need to do is fill out a supplementary form for Illinois when you apply. I was initially planning on trying to sneak in to NC residency--getting a license, etc--(im an IL resident) but its more complicated than that. UNC, for example, includes with their secondary to self-designated NC residents a form called "Residency for Tuition Purposes" on which you have to prove within the guidelines of the law that you are a resident (taking into account time in the state, being there for NON-academic purposes,etc). I'm not sure if IL also has a form like this, but I would venture a guess that such a form is standard for most states.