Problem..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking physics this year (senior year) and I will be applying to medschool this summer. Obviously if I take the MCAT early, I will not have finished all of my physics course which will affect my score. However, if I do do that, I will be able to apply to schools as early as possible, meaning I maximize my chances.

That being said, should I got with:

option 1:
take may 18th mcat...get score back june 18thish

option 2:
take mcat early prior to completing physics so I can get my score earlier and apply earlier

what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking physics this year (senior year) and I will be applying to medschool this summer. Obviously if I take the MCAT early, I will not have finished all of my physics course which will affect my score. However, if I do do that, I will be able to apply to schools as early as possible, meaning I maximize my chances.

That being said, should I got with:

option 1:
take may 18th mcat...get score back june 18thish

option 2:
take mcat early prior to completing physics so I can get my score earlier and apply earlier

what do you think?

Assuming you're talking about Physics II? Why don't you see how you do in Physics in general first?

It's possible to take the MCAT without the end of Physics II... especially if your course does relativity at the end (not on the MCAT). A syllabus would confirm this. Could also take the MCAT in late May and not be late at all either..

Assuming you're talking about Physics II? Why don't you see how you do in Physics in general first?

It's possible to take the MCAT without the end of Physics II... especially if your course does relativity at the end (not on the MCAT). A syllabus would confirm this. Could also take the MCAT in late May and not be late at all either..

excuse my ignorance, I am one of like two premeds at my entire school and our adviser is useless, but the primary applications next summer open up June 10th, 2014. I know its just 8 days (but sometimes you get your score back late) but I'd like to sub as soon as possible so won't this reduce my chances?

excuse my ignorance, I am one of like two premeds at my entire school and our adviser is useless, but the primary applications next summer open up June 10th, 2014. I know its just 8 days (but sometimes you get your score back late) but I'd like to sub as soon as possible so won't this reduce my chances?

First transmission to schools is typically late June (June 28th). You can submit on June 10th (I think it actually opens up earlier usually) and be verified and ready to go by the 28th. Your MCAT scores would come back right before June 28th so schools will see a complete application.

You don't need your MCAT scores to submit your application... they can come later. If you take it late May, you will still be able to have the earliest possible application.. just taking a gamble since you won't see your scores until after you submit (so if you tank it and wouldn't want to apply, you're stuck). You can also only apply to one school to limit that risk and add schools later (won't delay your application at all) once you find out your scores.

For instance, this year:

May 23rd: MCAT
Make sure to send in your transcript early!
June 10th: Submit AMCAS application to one school
June 10th-June 20th: Get verified by AMCAS
June 23rd: Get MCAT scores back
June 23-28th: Add more schools to your AMCAS
June 28th: AMCAS released to all schools you chose, earliest possible application