Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prepod90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from college a year ago with a 2.2 sgpa and a 2.58 cgpa, I took the MCAT twice, first time was a 21 (8B, 6P, 7V) and second time was 23 (7B, 8P, 8V). I am currently taking postbacc classes to improve my science GPA but I was wanted to know what else I can do to improve my application.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Continue taking classes...
Sadly, this. Your MCAT will not be your weakness, and with a 2.58/2.2 GPA, you will not get in anywhere. I would continue taking classes until you are over 2.75 and then apply. I would also not take any fewer than 30 post-bacc credits, and make sure that your post-bacc gpa is no less than 3.7. Every grade less than an A is a step away from podiatry school at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been taking post-bacc classes and my gpa so far in post-bacc is 3.8. If I continue to take classes (I am taking 17 credits now) and take 4 credits over the summer and 17 credits in the fall my sGPA will most likely only get to about 2.5. My cGPA may rise above 2.75. Is there any school that will even look at me? I have a very personal story about how I became interested in Podiatric medicine and I am very passionate about this career.

I have been taking post-bacc classes and my gpa so far in post-bacc is 3.8. If I continue to take classes (I am taking 17 credits now) and take 4 credits over the summer and 17 credits in the fall my sGPA will most likely only get to about 2.5. My cGPA may rise above 2.75. Is there any school that will even look at me? I have a very personal story about how I became interested in Podiatric medicine and I am very passionate about this career.
Or they could murder the mcat and get their gpa up to like a 2.5 and apply to Scholl, Kent, and Barry. When I say murder I mean 30 plus.

Reactions: 1 user
Or they could murder the mcat and get their gpa up to like a 2.5 and apply to Scholl, Kent, and Barry. When I say murder I mean 30 plus.
Yeah this is not the worst idea for you to be honest, OP. Excuse my bluntness (I am not here to insult, just to inform) but right now the UGPA says you didn't learn it in the first place and the MCAT says you didn't really go back and learn it afterward. If you applied today, a computer or work-study student in the admissions office would look at the numbers and probably auto-reject without anyone in power even looking at the app itself. It's a cruel system at times but everyone uses it on some level. So, if you could knock that MCAT out of the park, you could potentially get your app to a point where it wouldn't be automatically kicked out by a computer due to low numbers. This would then cause someone to read you more recent transcript to see that you are really doing some serious work in those postbacc classes. Keep the postbacc GPA super high, do really well on the MCAT, and send in an app on like day one of the 2014-15 cycle in August to big schools and you might have a shot. Right now, the first challenge is that you need to force someone to actually look in your file to see that whatever issues you had in undergrad are worked out.

Also, normally I don't put much stock in EC's, shadowing, and LOR's beyond the basics but it would not hurt to do some networking within the profession and get someone to put in a good word for you if you can. Not saying it will guarantee anything but it never hurts to have people who know you in a positive way.

Thank you so much for all the input! Hypothetically speaking, if I am able to bring my MCAT upto say 30, what schools in your opinion would look at me?

Hey, don't lose hope! Definitely apply to Barry, Kent and Scholl and prove yourself on the MCAT! You got this!! :)

Thank you so much for all the input! Hypothetically speaking, if I am able to bring my MCAT upto say 30, what schools in your opinion would look at me?
Barry, Kent, Scholl. Temple and Sam Merritt don't have a min but call and tell them your sitch.

But in all aspects of giving some constructive criticism it would be the issue that KSUCPM2015 mentioned: If you received a 2.2 sGPA and a 2.58 cGPA it seems extremely unlikely that you would be able to get a 30+ on the MCAT. I haven't taken the MCAT a second time since I plan on retaking it, but I don't think it as easy as study harder to get 7 points higher. The fact is that with even a 2.58 cGPA and a top 80% GRE score you probably wouldn't even be able to get into a Master's Program. Maybe you had some severe medical issues that you could explain in your personal statement.

If you luckily get that interview I expect them to grill you harder than the majority of their applicants due to a very very low undergrad degree. Obviously, we don't know your story and some people can explain it better in a letter or an interview than on a forum site with a bunch of random people. It may be bias to me because among all the students I knew that were in my degree have or will graduate with AT LEAST a 3.10 GPA and that is including 5-6 classes where 25% of the students automatically get a 1.5 grade or less. It may also depend on what school you attended. If you went to a Liberal Arts vs. a Top 20 research university may make a little bit of difference when they look at it. If I heard someone saying they got a 2.5 GPA throughout all of undergrad it would sound as if that person didn't care. If they didn't care through 4 years of undergraduate, then what is going to make them change to start caring when they are going through a rigorous med school curriculum.

Some of you may think I am responding like a d*** but when it comes to stuff like this I'd rather listen to people who will give you constructive criticism.

Obviously don't lose hope in pursuing your dream, but you will need a lot of work in the Post Bacc and even after two semesters of a Post Bacc you will still need a 30+ on the MCAT...and maybe even another semester or two of a Post Bacc.

I started off my undergraduate career doing terrible but I eventually got my stuff together and I began to do very well toward the end but it was too late by that point. I appreciate your advice, I will keep going. Thanks everyone for the feedback! I wish I did have a time machine though haha

Don't listen to these prepods. I'm a first year at NYCPM, I got in with a 2.5. My MCAT and my interview got me in. I'm doing much better than a 2.5 now.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't listen to these prepods. I'm a first year at NYCPM, I got in with a 2.5. My MCAT and my interview got me in. I'm doing much better than a 2.5 now.

Sorry, but this is also why podiatry students get NO respect from the D.O. or M.D. students. Unless you got a 30+ on the MCAT I really don't think that is fair that you proved you didn't give a crap about your undergrad yet you still got accepted to a med school. If I ever got a 2.75cGPA or less for my undergrad degree I personally would feel as if I slapped my parents in the face by saying "I could care less that you paid for me to get an education." I have a couple friends who are going for 6 years in college to get a B.A. or a general studies degree that have below a 2.7 cGPA and all of us sit there and think that their parents should have stopped paying for their education after their sophomore year.
Just my opinion. I know my GPA isn't so stellar, but I sure do know that anybody with a cumulative GPA below a 3.0 doesn't deserve to even get an interview from a DPM school. It is a slap in the face to the system and goes to prove that some of these schools would rather accept you, get your payment for the first year, and then expecting you to fail out early in which they already have your $30K+ payment.

Sorry, but this is also why podiatry students get NO respect from the D.O. or M.D. students. Unless you got a 30+ on the MCAT I really don't think that is fair that you proved you didn't give a crap about your undergrad yet you still got accepted to a med school. If I ever got a 2.75cGPA or less for my undergrad degree I personally would feel as if I slapped my parents in the face by saying "I could care less that you paid for me to get an education." I have a couple friends who are going for 6 years in college to get a B.A. or a general studies degree that have below a 2.7 cGPA and all of us sit there and think that their parents should have stopped paying for their education after their sophomore year.
Just my opinion. I know my GPA isn't so stellar, but I sure do know that anybody with a cumulative GPA below a 3.0 doesn't deserve to even get an interview from a DPM school. It is a slap in the face to the system and goes to prove that some of these schools would rather accept you, get your payment for the first year, and then expecting you to fail out early in which they already have your $30K+ payment.
Keyword students. MDs/DOs respect pods. And besides I see that 1 yr as an opportunity to prove yourself. And until the applicant pool gets bigger sub 3.0 gpa students will get in every yr.

I feel like everyone's story is different and you don't know whether prepod90 is paying for their education or their parents are paying. It's not up to us to judge anyone on this forum, if we can provide constructive criticism that's where it should end. I also think that the type of doctor you become depends on the amount of work you put in during professional health school whether it be MD/DO or DPM. I personally know many students who did not do so well in their undergraduate studies but have proved themselves in medical school and they are doing their residencies in some of the best hospitals. It's really all upto you and how much work you put in and then there is also luck. So, good luck everyone! :)

And this was my constructive criticism. My constructive criticism is exactly that what one of your last sentences is "It's really all up to you and how much work you put in and then there is also luck."
Several people on this board, including the two people that are actually on the admissions boards (or so they say) think that DPM schools shouldn't look at resumes of people that show that they did not put enough work into their undergraduate degree.