Problems with ERAs and Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loves_Chai

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else had any problems with letters of recommendations sent through ERas not reaching the programs that you have applied to?

One program that I applied to is saying that they have not received my LOR through ERAs, although I sent it to them back in November. Using the document tracking system on the website, it says that the file has been sent and that they have downloaded it. I have tried to resend the documents to them twice this week, but no dice. They still say that they haven't received the files, I have an upcoming interview there. This is the only program that I have gotten this complaint from all of the other programs have gotten all of my documents. Has this happen to anyone else?

I hate being a cynical person but is this a way of a program saying that they now don't want to interview you or consider you for ranking even after inviting you to an interview? By saying that they have lost some document of yours through ERAs is this a way of a program to "reject" you but not reject you? I have heard a lot of "sneaky" stories about what programs will do in order to get applicants they want (especially with FMGs), so I put nothing past programs. What do people think?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't jump immediately to pessimism. I just had one of the prelim programs email me saying they never got my USMLE scores. Now in my ERAS window it says SEND - X which I assume means they were supposed to get sent since none of the other 20 programs said anything, and I'm almost done interviewing.

Moreover, ADTS says the file was uploaded and retrieved on the specific date, and at the specific time. So maybe its a glitch in the matrix...uh I mean ERAS.

I got invited by a program that I never applied to. However, they knew every thing in my ERAS file.

At present: How long its taking the ERAS to scan your snail-mailed documents? If your envelope reached them on Sept 10th Friday as per the USPS, shouldn't the Photo, Transcript, Dean's Letter and LoRs all be scanned and available in the system by now? What is the indication that the system provides to indicate that they have received those and the scanning has indeed happened there? Couldn't see this question in their FAQs there. (I've already certified and applied to some programs and the ECFMG-office is acting as my Dean's office). Thanks for any insights.

Tough question. All ERAS shows you (in the Program Tracking part) is when a certain item was uploaded to the ERAS Post Office, and then if and when the residency program downloaded that item. Sometimes, it can take a while...for example, after my school received a letter of recommendation, it might not show up in ERAS for 2-3 days, and then the residency program may not download it for a week.

Vwvvwvw said:
At present: How long its taking the ERAS to scan your snail-mailed documents? If your envelope reached them on Sept 10th Friday as per the USPS, shouldn't the Photo, Transcript, Dean's Letter and LoRs all be scanned and available in the system by now? What is the indication that the system provides to indicate that they have received those and the scanning has indeed happened there? Couldn't see this question in their FAQs there. (I've already certified and applied to some programs and the ECFMG-office is acting as my Dean's office). Thanks for any insights.

When I called on Sept 15 she said they had a back up of documents. She said "I'll put it this way, I am scanning documents now that we received on Sept 2nd".

I had a letter sent to ECFMG/ERAS on August 20th which still has not been uploaded to the Post Office... I called ECFMG yesterday and after being on-hold for 20 minutes was told it might possibly still be in the pile of "100,000 letters" they were still scanning... ugh. That really wasn't a good enough answer for me, so I had that letter re-sent this morning... maybe it will add to the pile-up, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!!