Problems With Flomax for Kidney Stones

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been having lots of difficulties with pharmacies and Flomax for kidney stones. The fist thing I ran into was a batch of pharmacists calling me and saying they can’t give Flomax to a female. I then had one that called saying that she couldn’t dispense it for an off label use like kidney stones. Finally, I had one who said that it was not on the patient’s formulary and I had to change it to Urispas (flavoxate). I asked if that has the same promotility characteristics as Flomax and he didn’t know. I didn’t know either so I told him to just keep it as Flomax. Nothing annoys pharmacists more than not changing things to accommodate formularies. So the Flomax for kidney stone thing is turning into a real pain. Is anyone else having similar issues?

Members don't see this ad.

I've had similar problems with Flomax in women. Pharmacist said the script would be like $100 b/c it "wasn't indicated for kidney stones". Ended up just switching her to Hytrin. In theory, I think you may get a bit more orthostatic as its not as selective as Flomax but I just have them take it qhs.

Interestingly, that last review in Annals didn't specify the use of the newer "selective" blockers like Flomax but rather took all comers, so I think you still see benefit with some of the older and CHEAPER drugs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of people who had pharmacists question the flomax in a female. I've been specifying that it was for a kidney stone on the script and havent heard anything about it. The other problems I have not encountered.

Here in az our state medicaid/medicare wont pay for it for women.. plain and simple.. literature or not..

The only problem I've had is when telling the patient. I've had women who've seen the TV commercials or something look at me like I'm smoking crack. One got this condescending look on her face and informed me that women didn't have prostate glands (even after I'd painfully pointed out why I was prescribing it).

Sometimes it just isn't worth chewing through the restraints in the morning to come to work.

Take care,
Jeff

I've started running into Flomax on the MARs of elderly females with incontinence. I've seen it three times and still can't figure out why it would help.