problems with LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have reminder a doctor (who agreed to write me a letter) about sending in my letter of recommendation probably seven times, but he still hasn't sent it in. Does anybody have any recommendations as to how I could assure he sends in my letter ASAP. I asked him in early April to ensure my pre-health adviser received it in time, and he still hasn't sent it in...how frustrating.

Members don't see this ad.

ask him one more time. but this time, bring a gun. make sure the gun isn't loaded b/c you don't really want to shoot him. but make sure he thinks that you're gonna do it. and then follow him to his computer where he will type and print off a letter for you. i had to do this to three of my five letter-writers but it worked like a charm.

p.s. be sure to send him a thank you card!:thumbup:

The same thing is happening to me, but I gave the prof plenty of time to write it for me. I really hate LORs. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
The same thing is happening to me, but I gave the prof plenty of time to write it for me. I really hate LORs. :thumbdown:

I figured two months would be plenty of time, but I guess busy people require a six month notice.

Im in the same situation, I have reminded my prof at least 4 different times after asking for it in Feb.

same prob, mine was due june 1st and he claims he sent it earlier that week. still no sign at the office. i reminded him 5 times via email and twice in person. grrrrr. i hate LORs. :mad:

ok here is the story, my Ochem professor is a big Lazy A$$.For the whole two semesters he gave me all kind of excuses. starting from very busy to family problems ,going vacations ,thinking how to write you a good LOR.So i found no way to ask him a very rude question .Do you want me to write my own LOR and bring it to you ,so you can put your beautiful signature on it?. Surprisingly he liked the idea.

ok here is the story, my Ochem professor is a big Lazy A$$.For the whole two semesters he gave me all kind of excuses. starting from very busy to family problems ,going vacations ,thinking how to write you a good LOR.So i found no way to ask him a very rude question .Do you want me to write my own LOR and bring it to you ,so you can put your beautiful signature on it?. Surprisingly he liked the idea.
I took my own time to write a beautiful LOR ,I waived my rights to access it :smuggrin:.and now i did almost the same with the other professors who are busy.

Well this is dishonest nonsense--I am really appalled at the level of crud advice on these boards these days, does nobody understand that everyone across the medical community CAN and DOES read stuff on SDN? Even if security weren't an issue, why would you admit to baldface cheating on your own LOR waiver?
Seriously....

I have reminder a doctor (who agreed to write me a letter) about sending in my letter of recommendation probably seven times, but he still hasn't sent it in. Does anybody have any recommendations as to how I could assure he sends in my letter ASAP. I asked him in early April to ensure my pre-health adviser received it in time, and he still hasn't sent it in...how frustrating.

Look, I don't know what you mean by "reminder" but if it's not showing up in person and/or having your adviser help you by calling and urging...then it's time to get another person to write an LOR. You can't "assure" another human being's cooperation, but you CAN ask more than the requisite number of people to submit LOR's so you're not caught out at the last minute.

i offered him enough time to do it but he couldn't,
second he signed it because he agreed upon what i wrote and as long as his signature on it and along with the letterhead paper ,then that is his own job. if they called him one day to make sure from what he wrote he will agreed about every word on it .that is it

Well this is dishonest nonsense--I am really appalled at the level of crud advice on these boards these days, does nobody understand that everyone across the medical community CAN and DOES read stuff on SDN? Even if security weren't an issue, why would you admit to baldface cheating on your own LOR waiver?
Seriously....

You're up here :thumbup:...we need you down here :thumbdown:. Deep breath.

Professors just ended the school year...don't you all think they have had more important things to be doing in the past few months....teaching, research, grading our tests/projects/research....They should get it in soon, but with classes just ending we can't expect them to worry about our LOR when they have deadlines to meet as well (grading 150 biochem essay finals!)

Sending an email with my personal statement and resume attached, along with saying that I just want to make sure they have that information, seems to work well for me.