Procedures to master during rotations? Renting a mannequin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any advice or knows if its possible to rent a mannequin for some procedures like putting IV lines in? As well as for intubations?

I have seen them listed online for like $1000 but I just want to rent it before doing it on real patients and practice. I have heard at some hospitals they request to do it on the deceased (with the permission/consent of the family members) for residents, but I don't want to do that.

My school is so damn miser and cheap, 2 weeks before step 1, they had a 20 minute lab to help us do it, I really have to commend the university of utah for doing something like this:

http://healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed/postings/2012/06/061412ivtraining.php

I really wish my school would have implemented something like this. Because anesthesiologists and doctors in general are too busy, and reimbursement driven to take time to explain to med students in a polite and patient manner. On the other hand, I have to applaud nursing instructors for taking time to create a comfortable learning environment for LVN and RN's in training.

I'm truly shocked that I'm spending $60K per year and my school can't do a better job at providing us the resources we need!

Members don't see this ad.

The only procedure you have to master during M3 is using the fax machine to send record requests to outside hospitals for patients on your team. 90% serious btw.

On surgery, ask the Anesthesiologists or CRNA's for practice starting IV's. If you do an EM rotation, you can probably start all the IV's you want down there as well. But first, learn the fax machine.

Reactions: 5 users
Taking a good history is the most important procedure to master during clinicals.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't rent a mannequin. Too easy and nothing like a real patient. the or is best place to learn because they're asleep and venodilated by the time you're starting yours. You can also practice on a buddy - just ask a cool nurse to show you. Icu rotations are great places for procedures - I got to do ivs, a lines, central lines, etc. - because there are so many to do and the residents are over it pretty fast and willing to let students do some.

All those sim workshops schools brag about aren't as helpful as you might think. We had those but most of us had a long time before we had a chance to apply it on patients and by then you've forgotten much of it. The key is just asking to do stuff. You'll get told no a lot, but you'll also get some yesses. Just ask nicely and be professional.

And learn the fax machine ;)

Reactions: 2 users
The obsession with simulation is one of the worst current trends in med ed.

I disagree.

I'll get it out of the way: I don't think that there is a replacement for spending time at the patient's bedside. You can't get better education than seeing patients with people senior to you and learning from them. Floor, ICU, radiology, OR, all of them require time spent physically there dealing with patients. On the other hand, I've seen how big of a difference simulation can have on education. Not as a replacement, but as an adjunct. There are certain basic skills that if you beat them into people continuously in the lab, they will be better for it when they have to do the real thing. I know of two emergent floor crics last year at our institution, both performed by junior surgery residents, the sum total of their education came from the sim lab and working on pig models.

More fuzzy, a lot of our initial endovascular training is now coming in the sim lab on virtual reality machines. Learning how to use the Hybrid table, then the different catheters/wires, other devices etc. All the foundation comes from the sim lab. Is it required? Absolutely not, but I think that it really does help make some aspects of our education more efficient.

But regarding the OP, for the love of God, do not get a mannequin.

The best IV simulator I ever learned was from a nurse. It costs a paper towel and basic hospital supplies. Basically get some iv tubing, Put it under a papertowel so you don't actually see it. And insert your iv into it. The tubing has some feel similar to a vein. The paper towel is the skin. You just saved $1000, congratulations.

I did about 20 or 30 of them total in my spare time. That said, don't do 20 or 30 before finding a patient. It's just for your spare time when there isn't anyone who needs that needle.

I did an anesthesia rotation at the VA where the nurses refuse to put in IVs in pre-op. Bam, ten or so IVs a day on a real person for a month. It's not rocket science.

Depends on your institution. We never put in ivs, but if youre going to learn anything, let it be suturing. Get a pillow, cut it, and suture. Practice instrument ties and two handed.

Oh boy. Do not rent a mannequin. You'll learn all relevant maneuvers as your rotations progress. If something really interests you then search it out. If you want to start iv's then ask to start them on your surgery, anesthesia, ER rotations. You could even follow your hospitals iv team on slow days. The nurses will be much better at this than the majority of md's.