procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wasatch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can family physicians be trained to do:

-Lap cholecystectomies
-Lap Appendectomies

Are the reimbursements the same as general surgeons?

Members don't see this ad.

wasatch said:
Can family physicians be trained to do:

-Lap cholecystectomies
-Lap Appendectomies

Are the reimbursements the same as general surgeons?

I can't speak to the reimbursement issue. As for laparoscopy, I doubt very much that anyone in FP has bothered to learn it, as it takes longer to master, and requires lots of expensive equipment that isn't usually available in the rural settings where most FPs are performing surgery. Most FPs who perform appendectomies or cesarean sections are doing so under emergent circumstances where surgeons are unavailable. I'm not aware of any FPs who can take out your gallbladder, laparoscopically or otherwise.

Hope this helps,
Kent

KentW said:
I doubt very much that anyone in FP has bothered to learn it, as it takes longer to master, and requires lots of expensive equipment that isn't usually available in the rural settings where most FPs are performing surgery. Hope this helps, Kent

perfectly stated. i agree totally.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most FPs who do surgical procedures....

I do believe that might be the scariest six words in the English language.....

Praetorian said:
I do believe that might be the scariest six words in the English language.....

why, medical students do surgical procedures, residents in all specialties do surgical procedures, with attendings or alone. and rural docs i know of do many surgical procedures as well as anyone else. i dont know why you think some minor surgical procedures are such a big deal. anyone can learn basic surgical procedures it if you teach them, by repitition.

I see your point, but I also see a slippery slope.

Praetorian said:
I see your point, but I also see a slippery slope.

i understand. but i do agree that its fine for FPs to assist on procedures with the surgeon any time they want or need to. But to do it alone, obviously would need much more practice, and obviously, other than a surgical residency, no one will be able to or liable to.
:cool:

Obviously you have to define "surgical procedures." Are you talking about removing moles, or removing gallbladders. :)