Process of moving to the States for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MB333999

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian applicant, just recently got accepted to my top choice school and im unclear as to what I am supposed to do now in terms of legal issues... If any Canadians have been though this process i would especially appreciate your input. Questions i have right now include...

What kind of documentation/licenses do i need to apply for?

How long does this usually take??

Would i be able to work in the united states (ex research in summer) without becoming a citizen?

Other technicalities that i should be aware of???

I have some family in California if that makes any difference.
Thanks for your help guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian applicant, just recently got accepted to my top choice school and im unclear as to what I am supposed to do now in terms of legal issues... If any Canadians have been though this process i would especially appreciate your input. Questions i have right now include...

What kind of documentation/licenses do i need to apply for?

How long does this usually take??

Would i be able to work in the united states (ex research in summer) without becoming a citizen?

Other technicalities that i should be aware of???

I have some family in California if that makes any difference.
Thanks for your help guys.

Your best source of info would be the school that accepted you, either their.admissions or international students office. I immigrated to the US for college so I know the process generally speaking, however immigration procedures do differ based on bilateral relations b/t the US and the other country, Canada in ur case. Generally once accepted, u need an I-20 issued to u by ur school, this requires that u.furnish proof of financial support throughout the duration of ur studies, in order words, proof that u wont need to work in the US, or become a liability. Once u have u.I-20, u then need to apply to a student visa, most commonly F1 visa, once thats granted ur good to go... With this visa u can work on campus but its harder to get permission to work offcampus... So u should be able to work/research on-campus.. Now want to be aware to process timeline, how long does it take to get document X so that u can plan ahead and avoid delays... That's generally the process, again not all bilateral relations r created equal, so u need to find out how the process differs for Canadians, it's bound to be easier for Canadians than most others...

Gdluck

Your best source of info would be the school that accepted you, either their.admissions or international students office. I immigrated to the US for college so I know the process generally speaking, however immigration procedures do differ based on bilateral relations b/t the US and the other country, Canada in ur case. Generally once accepted, u need an I-20 issued to u by ur school, this requires that u.furnish proof of financial support throughout the duration of ur studies, in order words, proof that u wont need to work in the US, or become a liability. Once u have u.I-20, u then need to apply to a student visa, most commonly F1 visa, once thats granted ur good to go... With this visa u can work on campus but its harder to get permission to work offcampus... So u should be able to work/research on-campus.. Now want to be aware to process timeline, how long does it take to get document X so that u can plan ahead and avoid delays... That's generally the process, again not all bilateral relations r created equal, so u need to find out how the process differs for Canadians, it's bound to be easier for Canadians than most others...

Gdluck

that helped,
thanks for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you for sure heading to US or might stay in Canada for med school?