Process of switching to anesthesiology from surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

residentdoc2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone who has or is currently thinking of switching to Anesthesiology

So, I am a resident in a surgical subspecialty, who is coming to the conclusion that surgery itself, the surgical perspective on things, and the surgical personlity are things I do not enjoy as much as I thought I did when I originally decided to pursue surgery as a career. Though, it is very interesting to me and I love the OR, I just don't think I actually enjoy operating. I think a component of it is that I've chnanged as a person, and so have my goals for a career.

IN any case, I'm writing this post to ask anyone who has switched or is currently switching from a surgical residency to anesthesia, HOW DID YOU DO IT?

1. Surgical faculty are pretty proud people it would seem to me, so how do you "break" it to them you wannabasically quit?
2. WHen are you supposed to tell your program director? Right when you a make the decision to switch 100%, but before you look up anesthesia programs? Or are you supposed to talk to a bunch of anesthesia programs first and then tell your PD only if you have something in the pipeline?
3. HOw long does this process usually take?

Any other tips?

Members don't see this ad.

To anyone who has or is currently thinking of switching to Anesthesiology

So, I am a resident in a surgical subspecialty, who is coming to the conclusion that surgery itself, the surgical perspective on things, and the surgical personlity are things I do not enjoy as much as I thought I did when I originally decided to pursue surgery as a career. Though, it is very interesting to me and I love the OR, I just don't think I actually enjoy operating. I think a component of it is that I've chnanged as a person, and so have my goals for a career.

IN any case, I'm writing this post to ask anyone who has switched or is currently switching from a surgical residency to anesthesia, HOW DID YOU DO IT?

1. Surgical faculty are pretty proud people it would seem to me, so how do you "break" it to them you wannabasically quit?
2. WHen are you supposed to tell your program director? Right when you a make the decision to switch 100%, but before you look up anesthesia programs? Or are you supposed to talk to a bunch of anesthesia programs first and then tell your PD only if you have something in the pipeline?
3. HOw long does this process usually take?

Any other tips?

I have no idea - but....I think most surgeons won't care when you tell them you are switching - most probably wished they did.

Send me a personal message. I switched from a surgical subspecialty into anesthesiology. I can give you some advice.