Production-Based Compensation - How Not to Get Screwed Over

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AD04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For production based compensations such as RVU, how do you make sure the person paying you is not fudging the numbers and paying you less than you deserve? Do you have to keep track of the patient's you seen as well? Or is there a better, less-labor-intensive way?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This depends a lot on the practice. Typically billing and admin are separate, so that people who are in charge of hiring/firing and tracking are independent. If you feel that the practice owner might defraud you in any way, this is a major issue and I would move on. More commonly, the billing department isn't out to get you, but is really incompetent and makes lots of mistakes. This is EXTREMELY annoying and also EXTREMELY common. There are no obvious solution other than double checking everything either yourself or outsource it.

In a conventional business, staffing cost to keep track of revenue streams is thought to be part of cost to run the business. If you have concerns, I would discuss this with the partner in terms of systems level improvement, since it does affect the bottomline for the practice. If you bill fewer RVU you receive less. If you are on a partnership track, I favor open accounting whenever possible, so you see how much you are receiving in billing, and what is the actual amount paid out for overhead. If you work for a facility, it's often a take it or leave it situation. In that scenario I would consider keeping a rough log of daily visits. Large discrepancies should be detected and corrected early. In private practice, I keep meticulous logs of all my billing and account receivables, even though I really don't have to and can use my bank statement to file schedule C using cash (as opposed to accural) accounting. I personally think it's important because audits from various players can occur at any time.

Reactions: 1 user
It is obvious not to work with someone untrustworthy. The issue is to create an environment where honesty is promoted. That is why Charlie Munger thought the cash register was one of the great contributions to civilization

I've thought about the issue and the best solution I can think of is openness. There has to be a system that you can access to see which patients you have seen for whatever date. Another solution is for staff to e-mail you a list of patients seen after each day -- export a list to Excel or something. The ability to have information may be enough deter dishonesty. (And it can also help you gauge how much error the billing department is making.)

Basically, I just want to avoid entering my patients individually. If I have to do that, I may not take a production-based contract. I hate doing extra work unpaid.