scrubsaresexy

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2007
podunk, md
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it really bad juju to use mild profanity (specifically the word a** and the word balls) in a personal statement? I'm using a story from my firefighting class, and it just really doesn't have the same kind of spunk if I tone it down. It also is a direct quote from something that someone said to me during my class, so it's not like I'm just being vulgar for the sake of being offensive. It was a compliment that someone said to me at the end of class, oddly enough...

On the other hand, if that'll get me an automatic rejection, I will certainly tone it down as needed :laugh:

bodonid

Dr. Spaceman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Is it really bad juju to use mild profanity (specifically the word a** and the word balls) in a personal statement? I'm using a story from my firefighting class, and it just really doesn't have the same kind of spunk if I tone it down. It also is a direct quote from something that someone said to me during my class, so it's not like I'm just being vulgar for the sake of being offensive. It was a compliment that someone said to me at the end of class, oddly enough...

On the other hand, if that'll get me an automatic rejection, I will certainly tone it down as needed :laugh:
lol. I don't think you want balls in your ps.

About the Ads

scrubsaresexy

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2007
podunk, md
Status
Pre-Medical
haha fair enough. I suppose its best to err on the side of caution and save the profanity for my memoirs ;)

Greonis

10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I would suggest not mentioning those words specifically. A major part of your future career as a physician is learning to present that which is both negative and overwhelming in a more simple and professional way. The last thing you want to risk doing (I say "risk" because each adcom is different and it is unlikely that all adcoms will have the same opinion) is having your statement's reader question your ability to communicate in a professional manner. On a more simple level, you risk having an adcom dismissing your application solely because you used such lewd words, independent of any connections they might make to your character.

So, try your best to rewrite the sentence without it losing its spunk (easier said than done). No single aspect of your personal statement is worth jeopardizing your entire application over, after all! You might, for example, simply state that "extreme language" was used to help convey the class lesson more strongly.

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician

If you are dead set on using a direct quote then you have to use the profanity if that is the direct quite. If you are a good enough writer, you can paraphrase and get the meaning across without this. Remember, this is a personal statement for professional school. Your writing should be clear, concise and formal.

If all else fails, just use your last statement. Something like "I received the ultimate firefighter's compliment at the end of the class" and leave the guessing. It's professional and if you have done your job in telling the story, it should get the idea across without the profanity.

link2swim06

10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Try to show that you can be a professional by choosing some other words. I mean it could help your story but the potential cost is enormous so I would avoid it.

Marjan Islam

10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
You sir would definitely have some BALLS to put that in your PS. But your ASS certainly won't get an interview if you do.

cbrons

Ratatoskr! *Roar*
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
DEFEND MIDDLE LANE!
Status
Non-Student

absolutely not kid... normally I encourage profanity, political incorrectness, and bad behavior in general but in a PS you most definitely to do not want to use it, quote or not. We're talking formal writing my child.

About the Ads

thegetupkid

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Status
Pre-Medical
I would include it if it is in quotes. But what do I know...

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
If it's in a direct quote... don't use that quote.

Really, you don't want a 70-year-old conservative WASP adcom reading about your ass and balls.

funkymunkytoes

10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
In my personal statement I talked about how Tourette's Syndrome is misrepresented in the media and quoted South Park. Specifically, I quoted Cartman saying, "Titty sprinkles!" I have no regrets because "Titty sprinkles!" got me an acceptance.

Maygyver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I lolled.

p30doc

Ever true and unwavering
10+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
This thread reminds me of youtube's "tourettes guy".

scrubsaresexy

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2007
podunk, md
Status
Pre-Medical
It's not actually about my balls seeing as I am a woman :p I'm only about 5'3" (on a tall day!) and weighed about 110 pounds when I completed my firefighting class. I more or less spent 8 hours a day beating myself up for a month straight (M-F) but I managed to make it through. At the end, my partner looked at me, and said "You busted your ass for this class. Girl, you've got balls." By the end of the class, he and I were throwing 250 pound extension ladders together and whatnot...we were awesome :)
There's still quite a bit of sexism in the fire department, so for him to tell me that, it meant a lot. Like I said, though, I'll save it for my memoirs hehe

But it is refreshing to have people respond to a thread about something other than "omg, i have a 3.99, will i still get in?!?" :thumbup:

KeyzerSoze

Scrambled Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
Status
Medical Student
If it's in a direct quote... don't use that quote.

Really, you don't want a 70-year-old conservative WASP adcom reading about your ass and balls.
Even a 30-year-old liberal non-WASP adcom might be unimpressed with the OP's usage of the words ass and balls.

bodonid

Dr. Spaceman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2007
Status
Medical Student
In my personal statement I talked about how Tourette's Syndrome is misrepresented in the media and quoted South Park. Specifically, I quoted Cartman saying, "Titty sprinkles!" I have no regrets because "Titty sprinkles!" got me an acceptance.
that was the first time I laughed at south park in the better part of a decade.

About the Ads

bodonid

Dr. Spaceman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2007
Status
Medical Student
It's not actually about my balls seeing as I am a woman :p I'm only about 5'3" (on a tall day!) and weighed about 110 pounds when I completed my firefighting class. I more or less spent 8 hours a day beating myself up for a month straight (M-F) but I managed to make it through. At the end, my partner looked at me, and said "You busted your ass for this class. Girl, you've got balls." By the end of the class, he and I were throwing 250 pound extension ladders together and whatnot...we were awesome :)
There's still quite a bit of sexism in the fire department, so for him to tell me that, it meant a lot. Like I said, though, I'll save it for my memoirs hehe

But it is refreshing to have people respond to a thread about something other than "omg, i have a 3.99, will i still get in?!?" :thumbup:
No, still no. Even if you were saving babies in africa with Mbuto, I don't think you want that kind of language in your PS.

Nemuri

It's too late
10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
May I suggest a racial slur of some sort? It'll add more "spunk" :D

gonj

Oh no you di'int
10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2008
teh interwebs
Status
Pre-Medical
yeh drop a few f-bombs to show your passion for medicine too. that should be pretty good.

scrubsaresexy

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2007
podunk, md
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey, I got the point. Please don't turn this into an attack on my character, intelligence, personal beliefs, maturity level, etc.

k thanks.

StudentDoctora

10+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2007
Status
Post Doc
I wouldn't do it. Instead, I would write something to the effect of "In somewhat crude terms, he told me [paraphrase here]" or "In terms more crude than I am willing to write, he told me [paraphrase here]," etc... :) Good luck!

Kaustikos

Archerize It
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Always Bespin
Status
Resident [Any Field]
But do you have a 3.99? DO you? Because, if not, I would consider Caribbean:smuggrin:

honestly, I would refrain from that quotation. As true as it is, I would try and find a way to go around the profanity. Just my .02

tfa2007

10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I did it! My PS was a story from my classroom (I'm a high schoo teacher) and I quoted a student and didn't leave anything out of what she said, including b****. It was the first sentence of the PS so it was definitely an attention grabber. It probably offended some readers, but I've been accepted to several schools so it couldn't have been a deal-breaker!

Just make sure you have a specific reason to use the profanity. If nothing else, it will probably make your PS more memorable!

funkymunkytoes

10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I did it! My PS was a story from my classroom (I'm a high schoo teacher) and I quoted a student and didn't leave anything out of what she said, including b****. It was the first sentence of the PS so it was definitely an attention grabber. It probably offended some readers, but I've been accepted to several schools so it couldn't have been a deal-breaker!

Just make sure you have a specific reason to use the profanity. If nothing else, it will probably make your PS more memorable!
Yes, you did it with a 34S MCAT score. That's quite different.

About the Ads

rama kandra

Actual Psychiatrist jk
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
in the modern era, computers are reading your personal statements.

Forthegood

ProcrastinationAficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2008
Lexington, KY
Status
Medical Student
All the words in the English language are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Food

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2007
Unemployment office
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
This is a surprisingly common problem among people writing PS. Sometimes you just want to be humorous and really take the reader to the setting of the story, and it's tough to do without the crassness of the characters involved....

rama kandra

Actual Psychiatrist jk
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
show the essays with and without the language and see what reactions you get from pre-med advisors or professors who are involved with or know about admissions of any kind. I know they are not the ADCOM GODS but maybe they'll have some opinions... unless your gut says that putting in a little flair might make your PS shine. I know people who have written completely crazy PS and pulled all kinds of tricks - and wowed admissions b/c they learned a lot about the person on the other end.

Or you could read a book on med school admissions essays that were 'successful' and just see how they are ... i have not read the books but perhaps they might have examples of 'risk' essays. My personal feeling is, if you go in with confidence and do it without going over the top, it may work in your favor.

rama kandra

Actual Psychiatrist jk
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
were they med students or old folks?

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2008
Status

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2008
Status
he was a bad lover

that's right, I went there :smuggrin:
i believe that, but epi- you shouldn't knock your partners. you might've contributed to the difficulties.

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2008
Status
leave the guy alone. I sent you that video to keep you occupied and from trolling around. DOLLA DOLLA BIIIILLLLLLL woowooooooo
baby baby baby
gotta try harder than that

i know you're used to hearing that, cbrons.

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2008
Status
About the Ads