Professional attire in ED??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all..
My program is now pushing a professional dress code while in the ER. Im looking for anyone who may have articles/information proving that this is an unsafe practice (they tell you the hospitals have to wash the scrubs b/c it is more sanitary than your washers/dryers, but theyre willing to not only let us expose/ruin our professional attire to body fluids, etc., but then its ok for us to wash them normally with other clothes, then wear them back in the hospital?) Does anyone have evidence? Ive seen an article addressing it, but I cant seem to locate it now. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

CJT said:
hey all..
My program is now pushing a professional dress code while in the ER. Im looking for anyone who may have articles/information proving that this is an unsafe practice (they tell you the hospitals have to wash the scrubs b/c it is more sanitary than your washers/dryers, but theyre willing to not only let us expose/ruin our professional attire to body fluids, etc., but then its ok for us to wash them normally with other clothes, then wear them back in the hospital?) Does anyone have evidence? Ive seen an article addressing it, but I cant seem to locate it now. Thanks for your help!

You might have more luck with this if you post it in the EM forum.

The brits did a study on it and recommended no tie or white coat because of the spread of germs. I believe it was published in the british annuals of medicine or something like that. I know that doesn't help much.

Members don't see this ad :)
CJT said:
hey all..

Mohammed H. Prophet! One of the benefits of EM is that you can wear you Pajamas to work every day.

i personally believe they have the scrubs specially laundered to prevent scrub theft. and for no other reason.

I know there is a study on how ties spread germs because the hang down on patients when you lean over them.

The hospital where I used to work had a policy of scrubs if you were going to be in the OR (sounds reasonable), but they could be scrubs that you had been wearing all day outside of the OR, slept in the night before, whatever, as long as they looked like scrubs. I always thought that was really dumb.