1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Professional Clothes (female)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by KyGrlDr2B, Dec 4, 2001.

1. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

For christmas, I'm considering stocking up on some professional clothes. I basically have zero. Well, a suit and then some dressy things that do not qualify. Since I'm going to be starting with patient care as early as the first year, what would you guys advise I get? Mostly pants and some shirts to go with anything? Another suit?

Thanks. :p

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mary Jane Watson

Mary Jane Watson Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey!

Since my old career involved dressing up everyday (I was also in charge of the fashion section), I got to be pretty good a buying clothes to mix and match. You might want to check out the Victoria's Secret Catalogue. No I'm not talking about the lingerie, but they have some nice shirts and pants and skirts that come in every color and can mix and match. They offer a lot of good deals too. I also shop at Express, Banana Republic (on sale) and other places. I try to buy pants and tops that are classic and will be in style a while, and maybe a few trendy things to stay sort of now.

Sorry this is so long, but I hope it helps.

4. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

kiddoc2B: Thanks for the help. I didnt have much luck at VS though. Everything was wide-legged pants and black/white shirts. As a very tiny person, I'm sure I'd look stupid in those pants, lol.

Any other ideas? I know there are some more girls here with fashion sense....

5. WarmFuzzyKittens

WarmFuzzyKittens Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i would recommend jcrew, they have cute suits with more options, or even at banana republic, try both online. br has huge sales all the time online, with free shipping.

6. jasmine

jasmine Member
    7+ Year Member

My stores: Benneton, Ann Taylor, BR, J. Crew (for dresses and sweaters).

Some key things to get:
    1. Black pair of pants (dress up or down).
    2. Nice black pumps, comfortable flats.
    3. Button-up shirts, nicely cut.
    4. A few nice sweaters.

In general, I shop by buying what I like, and I'm picky. My wardrobe isn't very large but I always get good quality stuff and it looks nice and lasts a while. I would probably not go with a suit - you won't really wear that on rounds with patients, will you?

Oh, another tip - OUTLET MALL. Very convenient, centralized way to shop. Also pretty horrible place to be at Christmas time.

7. ccryder

ccryder Member
    7+ Year Member

Also, instead of pumps you might want to try some Dansko heeled clogs. They can look nice if you are dressed nicely and are very, very comfortable which will be important for rounds. You can also wear them with pants and skirts.

8. Mary Jane Watson

Mary Jane Watson Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just find what you think is you and what you feel comfortable in. It's hard for me to find clothes too, since I'm 4'11", so even petite stuff usually ends up at the alterations place. I figure since I'm going to be a pediatrician (hopefully!) I'll be taller than most of my patients, except for those adolescent medicine ones of course! Just think, classic, good fit, good quality, and you can't go wrong! Good luck! :D

9. elle

elle Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I've found that the gap has good clothes for short people, and it's nice to buy pants that don't have to be shortened like half a foot. :)

When I worked in a clincial setting, I bought a couple of long skirts (plain or with a small print) and khakis in a few colors and just mixed and matched those with shirts and sweater sets I already had, and that worked out well and wasn't expensive.... but I have relatively little fashion sense, so who knows how it looked.
    :p

10. Kadyra

Kadyra Will drive for music.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd also recommend J. Crew. I used to work there, so I could get their expensive stuff 50% off though... That's how I could afford my interview suit. Anyway here's a tip about J. Crew that not everyone knows-- if you find something in the catalog you like that's not in the store, go to the store and have them order it for you. That way you don't have to pay for shipping.

Another store that sometimes has some fun dressy-ish stuff is Lerner, although sometimes I feel like an old woman when I try on some of their stuff. You have to look. They have been getting a little "younger" though.

Also Express is a good place to go for basics- pants, skirts, tops. Especially when they have their sales. Of course Banana is also great for sales.

I feel like I need to go shopping now.

11. Starflyr

Starflyr Manic Faerie
    10+ Year Member

Ok, for those of us who dont do the "trendy" stores, I have some other suggestions...

1. Do NOT buy more suits. You wont wear them. Remember, you'll have your white coat to wear, and it doesnt fit over a suit coat very well.

2. While J. Crew, VS and the GAP are nice and trendy, they're also mucho expensivo (yes, I know thats not really spanish). I got my clothes for my site/clinic visits from Kmart. Im at UTMB, so its still in the 70s here, and my black pants with various short sleeved patterned tops have worked out fabulously. I got 8 outfits for $50 and they dont *look* like they came from Kmart.

3. What you wear depends on where you're going to be having patient interaction. Scrubs are appropriate sometimes. Other than that, ask. My preceptor at the pediatrics clinic wore black jeans, a turtleneck and a blazer (she doesnt wear the coat) to work today. Some places may want you dressier. But I highly doubt that anybody will grade you down if you dont show up in a suit.

4. Get COMFORTABLE shoes. So long as they dont look ratty and are closed toed, you're ok. I wear rubber soled leather shoes instead of pumps or dress flats. Some places may let you wear sneakers, again, it depends on the setting.

Star

12. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

Thanks for all the help. I'm taking a shopping trip in a few weeks so I'll check things out. I dread finding shoes though, I wear a 5 :mad: .

13. Weeble

Weeble Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm wondering about cold feet (literally!) during interview tours. Anybody have suggestions on warm, yet stylish footwear for those dead of winter East Coast interviews?

14. StitchEM

StitchEM Senior Member
    7+ Year Member