1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

professional counselors

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ghm, Apr 16, 2002.

1. ghm

ghm Member
    7+ Year Member

hey guys.

i was wondering if you guys know of any good professional counselors that give advice on the application process. (ESP. for reapplicants)

drako suggested this idea to me. it sounds like a great idea to get a counselor. . .so if anyone knows anything, please let me know.=)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Drako

Drako Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I replied in your original thread. Take a look. If you have any question, PM me.

4. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

You don't need a good counselor, all you need is a good book. You never know about the quality of counseling you will get from any one person, even if the person is the ex-head of admissions at school X, school X might have a completely different take on the admissions process then every other school out there. There are several very good med school admissions boooks out there, I would suggest going to a Barnes and Noble and not purchasing the books but skimming through a few of them in the book store to get a good jist of what you are supposed to do. Good luck.

5. Drako

Drako Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Kent's point is very valid and that was what I did. I bought a few books about writing personal statements. I actually bought two. Let's me give you the titles:

1. Essays That Will Get You Into Medical Schools; published by Barron's, by Daniel Kaufman, Chris Dowhan, and Amy Burnham.

2. How to Write a Winning Personal Statement for Graduate and Professional School, 3rd Edition by Richard J. Stelzer, published by Peterson's.

I think you said that you live in Sothern California. Where in Southern California? If you are close by me, you can come by and I can loan you the above books and/or you can copy them. PM me.