Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

professional counselors

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ghm, Apr 16, 2002.

1. ghm

ghm Member
    7+ Year Member

hey guys.

i was wondering if you guys know of any good professional counselors that give advice on the application process. (ESP. for reapplicants)

drako suggested this idea to me. it sounds like a great idea to get a counselor. . .so if anyone knows anything, please let me know.=)

2. Drako

Drako Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I replied in your original thread. Take a look. If you have any question, PM me.

3. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

You don't need a good counselor, all you need is a good book. You never know about the quality of counseling you will get from any one person, even if the person is the ex-head of admissions at school X, school X might have a completely different take on the admissions process then every other school out there. There are several very good med school admissions boooks out there, I would suggest going to a Barnes and Noble and not purchasing the books but skimming through a few of them in the book store to get a good jist of what you are supposed to do. Good luck.

4. Drako

Drako Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Kent's point is very valid and that was what I did. I bought a few books about writing personal statements. I actually bought two. Let's me give you the titles:

1. Essays That Will Get You Into Medical Schools; published by Barron's, by Daniel Kaufman, Chris Dowhan, and Amy Burnham.

2. How to Write a Winning Personal Statement for Graduate and Professional School, 3rd Edition by Richard J. Stelzer, published by Peterson's.

I think you said that you live in Sothern California. Where in Southern California? If you are close by me, you can come by and I can loan you the above books and/or you can copy them. PM me.