Professional Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alysheba

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello...I've been reading for a while but never posted before. I'm curious; does anyone here have or know of someone who has a professional degree (JD, DVM, etc.) and is now interested in applying to medical school? I'd be interested to hear your experience. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes I have a JD. I wish I didn't. I hate my JD!!!! I graduated law school, then immediately entered a post-bacc program for one year. I just finished in August, took the August MCAT, and am currently in the application process and I just landed a clinical research job today!!!! Yay!!!!! No practicing law for me. I am 27 and married, by the way. We'll see how the application process goes but adcoms hate JD's! So too bad for me but I've worked hard to overcome the JD stigma, I think. I hope, at least.

I hate the law and am bitter about wasting 3 precious years in that $@&&-hole they call law school. But now I'm finally doing what I'd always wanted to do.

Thanks,

T

I actually enjoy what I'm doing (veterinary medicine) and know that medicine is for me, but I find my interaction with my clients (my patients' owners) very meaningful, and have come to question whether human medicine is a better fit.

You have found the AdComs to look on your degree with disfavor? Do you think it's because you already have a professional degree (the big why medicine question), or is it specific to the ever-popular EC of lawyer-hating?

I hope things go well for you this application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tofurkey -

What makes you think adcoms hate JDs? (I am one too.)

I have a professional degree too, pharm D. Great degree, but I wanna pursue medicine in greater detail. Best of luck.

Hey there

I am a 2nd year law student as well. I have decided to finish my law degree and then do a post bacc somewhere. I dont think Adcoms hate JD's you just need to show them how your JD has made you a stronger person. For me, I know that I have developd stronger study skills in law school that I did not possess as an undergraduate. Plus the legal realm gives you a different perspective on issues. Never look at professional course work as a disadvantage, look at the positives and how it makes you differnt.

I to in many ways am bitter towards law school, the legal profession as a whole pretty much sucks, but I know that it has toughened me up a lot. I would really focus on the positives of your degree program, and show how that is going to make you a better doctor.