professional liability insurance for research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sardonic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched the boards and haven't seen anything on this.

I'm wondering if people have thoughts on the need for professional liability insurance in my situation. I'm a licensed clinical psychologist, but I am not seeing patients at this time (and I do not have plans to start). I am in an academic position and I run a research lab. My research is decidedly clinical in nature (e.g., usually includes diagnostic interviews and focuses on psychopathology). The Trust has a researcher/academician plan, but the new organization that APA uses does not. Anyone else in the same boat? To buy or not to buy?

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest that you make an appointment with someone in your institution's legal counsel office to discuss the specific liability exposures that might apply to your work, and your options for dealing with them. Also consider any roles you might take on as an independent consultant to external entities; you'll probably need insurance if you do independent consulting.

Reactions: 1 users
Read your state laws. A few states have a clause or separate license for academics, most don’t.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting at least the bare minimum liability coverage and the highest possible board complaint rider. It should run less than $500.

Reasoning:
1) if you study case law, it is rare that psychologists, engaging in typical practice and not doing child custody stuff, are successfully sued for damages.

2) However, board complaints are more common. Retaining an attorney for this immediately runs in the thousands. Iirc, the rider for legal help on board complaints for the maximum coverage they sell you runs less than $90. I don’t know about you, but risking $90 to potentially save $50k is an awesome deal to me.

3) Most credentialing forms and malpractice applications have a question asking if you have ever had a gap in malpractice coverage. It is in the “bad” section of these applications. IME, this can massively complicate or delay things.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely planned on it, MamaPhD, thank you! Am also hoping that someone here is in a similar situation and has a particular insurance product they would recommend.

Thanks, PSYDR. I
Read your state laws. A few states have a clause or separate license for academics, most don’t.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting at least the bare minimum liability coverage and the highest possible board complaint rider. It should run less than $500.

Reasoning:
1) if you study case law, it is rare that psychologists, engaging in typical practice and not doing child custody stuff, are successfully sued for damages.

2) However, board complaints are more common. Retaining an attorney for this immediately runs in the thousands. Iirc, the rider for legal help on board complaints for the maximum coverage they sell you runs less than $90. I don’t know about you, but risking $90 to potentially save $50k is an awesome deal to me.

3) Most credentialing forms and malpractice applications have a question asking if you have ever had a gap in malpractice coverage. It is in the “bad” section of these applications. IME, this can massively complicate or delay things.

Thanks! I will definitely do my due diligence in terms of reading up on my state laws. And I agree that this is probably one of those situations where I'd rather be safe than sorry.