Professional Organizations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chunkyb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today, our P-1 class was introduced to several different professional organizations. There are so many of them that I'm kind of confused as to what's what. Does anyone know anything more about some of the organizations like NCPA, ASP, and APhA? Has anyone attended any of their annual conferences?

Members don't see this ad.

NCPA - National Community Pharmacists Association

Represents the independent pharmacy owner, and encourages student members to pursue ownership of an independent pharmacy. They have their own programs to offer assistance to new pharm grads in the purchase and financing of an independent practice, and how to find a niche market for your new business. http://www.ncpanet.org/

ASHP - American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (used to be called the American Society of Hospital Pharmacists)

Tends to represent hospital pharmacy practice (despite the name change ;) ). If you have an interest in pursuing a hospital pharmacy practice residency, you'll probably want to be a member. They have showcases of residency programs at annual meetings (This December, it's in New Orleans, next year...Vegas Baby!) and you'll have to be a member anyways to use their residency matching program. You get a free subscription to their journal, AJHP. http://www.ashp.org/

APhA - American Pharmacists Association (used to be called the American Pharmaceutical Association) ASP just means the "Academy of Students of Pharmacy"...APhA-ASP is the student section of APhA

Tends to represent community (retail) pharmacy practice, also despite the inclusive name. They also have their annual meetings, you get a nice subscription to "Pharmacy Today". They sponsor community pharmacy residency programs, and you have online access to their journal. http://www.aphanet.org/

At our school, if we join the "Nevada College of Pharmacy Student Alliance", we have to get membership in both ASHP and APhA-ASP.

Both ASHP and APhA offer decent student discounts on books. They also have their "stupid" benefits like credit cards, etc...

I may be attending the ASHP midyear clinical in New Orleans this December.

Join them all your first year, then narrow it down a bit. They pay our dues here for all of those the first year so we'll get involved. LEXI-comp gives a small discount to APhA members. I know at some schools (that chunkyb may or may not go to ;) ) the trips are usually really fun. Something about a group of stressed pharmacy students and available alcohol in the hotels.. hmm...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jdpharmd?
... the trips are usually really fun. Something about a group of stressed pharmacy students and available alcohol in the hotels.. hmm...

...and the available alcohol on Bourbon Street. Going to ASHP New Orleans sounds better and better the more I think about it. :D

I wish that I could go to ASHP New Orleans this December, but it coincides exactly with my finals. Maybe my profs. will be understanding about it though..you think?!:p

"They pay our dues here for all of those the first year so we'll get involved."

I wish my school did that. I just spent ~$150 joining various organizations.

Originally posted by Brill
"They pay our dues here for all of those the first year so we'll get involved."

I wish my school did that. I just spent ~$150 joining various organizations.

Amazing what 25k can get you. We have free parking, labcoats, and t-shirts too. :) I'm just glad that it wasn't 25k AND THEN "nickle and dime" me to death.

Originally posted by Brill
Good point. I think I'll stick with my $6k-7k tuition. :)

Oh my... I didn't even know that tuition came that low anymore. Remind me not to skip class. ;)

I joined APhA-ASP last week. I might be joining FSHP (substitute F for Florida instead of A for American), but I didn't have time to attend the first meeting.

I was appointed to Fund Raising chair, which means I have to coordinate different activities to raise money and send us to the various meetings. Our annual meeting will be in Seattle this year, New Orleans was last year. There is also a semi-annual meeting for each region in the US. Our's will be in Gainesville this October. I guess UF must be the host school. There are always prospective employers at these meetings and of course the word "networking" came up.

Another benefit is that they pay for your liability insurance during your final year of rotations.

How the f#$k do you guys afford to join all these clubs?

Financial aid, plus a fiancee with mega-bucks.

It is nice to have something in your CV's "Professional Organizations" section.

ASHP is only like $20. ASP I thought was a rip-off at almost $50-but my chapter wasn't too involved. The rag's ok, though. We had a NCPA chapter, but even in ND there was little interest.

Think of it not only as a spiffy membership card, and a bunch of other fringe benefits you'll never use, but also a magazine subscription-most of these journals are actually halfways interesting (except for the articles on-"this is how my chapter turned around and became the bestest chapter ever" and "we organized a volunteer event where we promoted pharmacy by pulling children out of burning cars". Maybe I'm just jealous that some pharmacy students have free time to do this stuff). $20 is pretty reasonable for a magazine/journal subscription. Playboy is still cheaper, though.

And if you do need something like a Drug Info Handbook or Lexi, the membership can pay for itself in the discount.

--Angry Bob

ASP is $32 per year. For 1st year students, you get a reduced price of $16 per year. There is also $10 of local dues in our area. So, $26 wasn't really going to break the bank.

Originally posted by dgroulx
ASP is $32 per year. For 1st year students, you get a reduced price of $16 per year. There is also $10 of local dues in our area. So, $26 wasn't really going to break the bank.

:confused: Is there any good to join the state pharmacist alliance? Is ASP better the state pharmacist alliance? Our ASP fee is around $100 :eek: a year, the state alliance is $40 a year.

I've never heard of the state pharmacists alliance. Maybe they don't have one in Florida.

If your ASP dues are that high, your local dues must be astronomical. I wouldn't join for that price, either.