professor made a huge mistake on my LOR!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Want Food

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is really scary and I'm not sure if this is going to kill my chances for dental school :scared:After e-submitting and after having one of my LOR from a professor completed electronically, my professor contacts me and informs me that the LOR is strong except he accidentally made a mistake on the LOR and stated it was for PODIATRY school in a small part of the letter while stating it was for dental in the rest of the letter. He wants to fix it but he says he can't resubmit? I'm not sure what to do as I can no longer edit my application since I e-submitted. Should I request him to call up all the schools and explain?

Do you think this will be a deal breaker? Am I overreacting? It's causing me stress.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
oh no! don't panic! maybe you should try calling aasdsas and explain your situation? see what they tell you... :/ don't give up hope yet!

If he mentions dentistry throughout except for this one mistake, I don't think you're necessarily going to be the one who looks bad. And if it is indeed a strong letter and one that doesn't seem like a generic form letter, they'll probably assume it was just a mistake on the writere's part...which it was. There's probably not a whole lot you can do now. It sucks a little bit, but I think you'll be okay. I would bet it's not going to kill your chances...unless you too slipped up and mentioned podiatry in your personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could ba a good thing actually, they will remember you as the applicant who had a LOR from a professor mentioning podiatry. They will think its funny most likely and want to meet you. You never know, but I can assure you they won't discredit your hard work from a professors mistake.

This is really scary and I'm not sure if this is going to kill my chances for dental school :scared:After e-submitting and after having one of my LOR from a professor completed electronically, my professor contacts me and informs me that the LOR is strong except he accidentally made a mistake on the LOR and stated it was for PODIATRY school in a small part of the letter while stating it was for dental in the rest of the letter. He wants to fix it but he says he can't resubmit? I'm not sure what to do as I can no longer edit my application since I e-submitted. Should I request him to call up all the schools and explain?

Do you think this will be a deal breaker? Am I overreacting? It's causing me stress.

I think you will be OK, don't stress about it too much. If you are really worried, I would call AADSAS instead of individual schools to straighten things out since AADSAS probably still haven't sent your applications to schools yet.

Good luck!

Thanks for all your replies and support!! :) I feel much better than before. What's done is done. I'm going to call AADSAS first thing in the morning tomorrow and cross my fingers (on the website, it says that once a letter is completed, it can't be deleted). Thanks again for making me feel much better!

Could ba a good thing actually, they will remember you as the dental applicant who had a LOR from a professor mentioning podiatry. They will think its funny most likely and want to meet you. You never know, but I can assure you they won't discredit your hard work from a professors mistake.

Does the professor have foot-in-mouth disease?

**So sorry to make light of your situation, but I could not resist the pun. I truly do hope that this gets resolved in your favor.**

Wow, that's a horrible and careless mistake!

I would believe you are 100% OK. Even professors are human and so are the advisors that look through your jacket. I dont think they will think you made a $2k+ mistake by applying to dental schools instead of med. Just call AASDAS and have them just make a note of it.

Good luck

At the end of the day it isn't your fault. If the header has your name on it and it ended up in your AADSAS application, it must be for you. Call to see if it can be changed, but don't stress too much.

Hey,

My dentist messed up on part of mine and so he called AADSAS and had them delete his submission and he resubmitted! Tell them to do that!:)

I believe all three of my LORs contained more or less the phrase "will be an excellent addition to your medical school," at some point in the letter, in addition to mentioning dental school. I was only asked about it at one interview and just explained that the professor must have made a mistake and writes mostly LORs for medical school applicants - they never said a word after that.

Thanks everyone!! :) I contacted my professor to do what rk0190 said and everything is okay now! :) Thanks again to everyone!