Professor messed up my grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JTMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to go check my finalgrade for my class and it was a B. Granted that is not a bad grade but I worked really hard in the class to earn an A I did well in all the tests midterms exc I emailed him and explained the situation and he looked over my grade and sent me a email saying "remember I teach history not math glad you caught that" turns out I did earn the A I had previously believed i had.. Has anything like this ever happens to anyone on here ?

Members don't see this ad.

What's the issue here?

Professors enter hundreds of grades to gradebook and mistakes inevitably happen. It is your responsibility to make sure that all your grades are recorded correctly. It's not like you won't get the grade that you earned at the end of the day.

Reactions: 1 users
^Agreed. Don't be that guy.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the issue here?

Professors enter hundreds of grades to gradebook and mistakes inevitably happen. It is your responsibility to make sure that all your grades are recorded correctly. It's not like you won't get the grade that you earned at the end of the day.

How is it not the professor's responsibility to enter the right grade?

I went to go check my finalgrade for my class and it was a B. Granted that is not a bad grade but I worked really hard in the class to earn an A I did well in all the tests midterms exc I emailed him and explained the situation and he looked over my grade and sent me a email saying "remember I teach history not math glad you caught that" turns out I did earn the A I had previously believed i had.. Has anything like this ever happens to anyone on here ?

Glad it all worked out.

Next time throw a few periods in here and there. :p

People make mistakes. It's your responsibility to also keep track of your grades and make sure it lines up at the end of the semester.

Many professors state on the syllabus how much time a student is given to dispute a recorded grade. So if you didn't catch that there's a mistake, and say a month passed by, the professor is under no obligation to change the grade provided such policy was stated on the syllabus.

Glad it all worked out.

Next time throw a few periods in here and there. :p

People make mistakes. It's your responsibility to also keep track of your grades and make sure it lines up at the end of the semester.
Many professors state on the syllabus how much time a student is given to dispute a recorded grade. So if you didn't catch that there's a mistake, and say a month passed by, the professor is under no obligation to change the grade provided such policy was stated on the syllabus.

Fair enough. I don't think I knew anyone in undergrad who had (or caught) an error in entering grades.

Fair enough. I don't think I knew anyone in undergrad who had (or caught) an error in entering grades.

I personally had problems almost every semester. Sometimes they took a while to resolve but I can't imagine a professor in their right mind who would intentionally give a wrong grade to a student, and then wouldn't try to resolve it. Maybe my school doesn't have a great way of recording grades or maybe you go to a small liberal arts college :)

I'm personally amazed at how many students just have good faith in that all their grades are entered correctly.

Last edited:

One of my friends had the two numbers of her grade flipped (like she got an 86 or something and it was entered as a 68). I dont' think it's ever happened to me but I'm sure it happens here and there.

I hate it when they enter in the wrong grade of "100" when I actually got 102 and I have to walk the walk of shame to their office and meekly ask for the extra 2 points like a grade wh0re.

Jk.

Maybe.

Reactions: 1 users
It might have happened, but I'll never know. I had a few classes where the professor didn't even write down our grade for the final exam on our web portal or tell us that we could look at them. I probably could have seen the exam if I wanted to. Also, a lot of my classes were curved, so even if I knew the numerical number of my grade, I never knew if it was in the A range or B range. Oh well. Hopefully, if there were any mistakes, they were balanced out by good mistakes.

In one quarter I once had an A accidentally changed to a D, and a A accidentally changed to a B-. These things happen all the time.

Went online to check my grade for our second midterm in biochem, feeling very confident in my performance. I logged in to see the following...

Grade Report for AspiringERMD:
Test 1: 97.5
Test 2: 32.5

I didn't even panic because I knew there was no way I scored that low. But it turned out to be MY error... I somehow filled in the incorrect test form bubble. The professor was charitable enough to regrade it by hand, but it's a good reminder to check your grades and resolve problems ASAP!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it's happened to me too. Once, a professor didn't know about a grade a TA had been slow about putting in the gradebook, and he corrected the error in the registrars office. The other time, my grade on the online gradebook was recorded as a B when I had earned an A. In both cases, I just respectfully approached the professor and asked to have the grade reevaluated. Both were fixed, no problem.