professors researching with Asian population?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychdocstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in cultural studies especially when it involves Asian or Asian American populations. Anyone knows which professors in clinical psych or counseling psych doctoral programs work with these populations? I mean for research. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in cultural studies especially when it involves Asian or Asian American populations. Anyone knows which professors in clinical psych or counseling psych doctoral programs work with these populations? I mean for research. Thanks.

There are a number of folks within the UC system that have research related to Asian and Asian American folks. One option is to check out the AAPA (Asian American Psychological Association) and seeing which universities the members are affiliated with. I'm outside of the west coast and am doing research with Asian and Asian Americans through my university, located in Georgia. You can message me if you want specific information about my work.

Members don't see this ad :)

Have you done a literature search? A 10 second search should provide a plethora of names to check out. If it is an area you want to focus on for your training, you should really take some time to read up on the newest research coming out.

You might want to check out Fordham, Columbia, UCLA, and Univ. of Houston (clinical and counseling programs). Two interns in my class have direct experience with Asian American research at these insitutions as they both conducted their dissertations in the area. I've heard that Dr. Derald Wing Sue at Columbia's Teacher's College is one of the big names in Asian studies. I would also suggest a lit search, like T4C recommended, to get your own perspective on what's new out there.

Last I heard there was a professor at UC Santa Barbara working in this area (can't remember his name though).

What specific interests do you have in clinical psych and Asian Americans? Are you thinking more about identity issues? development? severe mental illness? anxiety? PTSD? racism? microaggressions? disparities? There are so many issues so I think narrowing it down will help you find the right researcher.

I'd recommend looking at:
1) Fordham - Dr. Tiffany Yip - adolescent dev, Asian American identity
2) Dr. Lawrence Yang @ Columbia Public Health- stigma and Chinese Americans with schizophrenia; also prodromal schizophrenia and stigma
3) Dr. Lara Dhingra @ Beth Israel Medical Center - big ACS grant on Chinese American cancer patients and pain
3) There is also a huge Asian American research center at UC Davis, with mostly psychology faculty: http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/aacdr/
4) New School has a professor who is looking at a Taoist therapeutic approach for Chinese Americans (w/ anxiety? Not 100% sure)
5) Dr. Wei-Chin Hwang, Ph.D.@ Claremont McKenna College is looking at effectiveness of CBT with Chinese populations
6) UCSD/SDSU has a bunch of professors interested in Asian American issues
7) Dr. Anna Lau @ UCLA on Asian Americana, children, and parenting
8) NYU Child Study has a couple of psychologist (dev? not clinical) who are looking at Chinese immigrant children and parenting.

My program didn't have a professor who was doing exactly the type of research I wanted to do so they were very open to me working with outside folks. Don't rule out this type of arrangements especially if you're attending a program in a big metro area (NYC, SF, LA, Boston). Good luck !

If you're willing to go to Canada, check out University of British Columbia. I don't think there's anyone in clinical and I'm not sure about counseling that deals specifically with this population, but if you're looking for a school with roots in a community with a large Asian population, you should definitely check out UBC.

One more, U MAss Boston has a great clinical (or csling?) program with strong ties to the Asian American studies dept. You should look up the work of Karen Suyemoto

Just spent this last application cycle applying to programs with just this emphasis!

1) Fordham, Dr. Tiffany Yip - Asian American ethnic ID development. However she is going on sabbatical for the 2011-12 year but will be back fall 2012
2) UMass Boston - Dr. Karen Suyemoto is ALL ABOUT this. If you are looking to work in this area, definitely contact her. She's very welcoming and very helpful!
3) Not sure if he is taking new students, but Dr. Derald Wing Sue at Columbia's Counseling Ph.D. program is like a superstar in the area of Asian American psychology
4) Several faculty at University of Hawaii at Manoa, Clinical program
5) Dr. Sukanya Ray at Suffolk University's clinical program

I limited my research to major metropolitan cities though so I'm sure there are loads more out there. Good luck! :thumbup:

Check out Georgia State. There are at least two profs that work with Asian/ Asian American populations there.

What specific interests do you have in clinical psych and Asian Americans? Are you thinking more about identity issues? development? severe mental illness? anxiety? PTSD? racism? microaggressions? disparities? There are so many issues so I think narrowing it down will help you find the right researcher.

I'd recommend looking at:
1) Fordham - Dr. Tiffany Yip - adolescent dev, Asian American identity
2) Dr. Lawrence Yang @ Columbia Public Health- stigma and Chinese Americans with schizophrenia; also prodromal schizophrenia and stigma
3) Dr. Lara Dhingra @ Beth Israel Medical Center - big ACS grant on Chinese American cancer patients and pain
3) There is also a huge Asian American research center at UC Davis, with mostly psychology faculty: http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/aacdr/
4) New School has a professor who is looking at a Taoist therapeutic approach for Chinese Americans (w/ anxiety? Not 100% sure)
5) Dr. Wei-Chin Hwang, Ph.D.@ Claremont McKenna College is looking at effectiveness of CBT with Chinese populations
6) UCSD/SDSU has a bunch of professors interested in Asian American issues
7) Dr. Anna Lau @ UCLA on Asian Americana, children, and parenting
8) NYU Child Study has a couple of psychologist (dev? not clinical) who are looking at Chinese immigrant children and parenting.

My program didn't have a professor who was doing exactly the type of research I wanted to do so they were very open to me working with outside folks. Don't rule out this type of arrangements especially if you're attending a program in a big metro area (NYC, SF, LA, Boston). Good luck !

Thanks everyone. My interests tend to involve severe mental illness, PTSD, and health issues.
I will definitely take a careful look into the ones introduced above. I will focus on clinical, counseling, and psyD programs

Dr. Sanjay Nath at Widener University has some interest in research with Asian populations. I think he's mostly a qualitative research guy, if that makes any difference.