Professors who doesn't know me agreed to write an LoR. What do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

over

Reaction score
They know I score an A in their class and I like science? If I had to say so myself, my questions were pretty entertaining lol. But it's been a while and I'm sure they don't remember that. I'm just an old student they would recognize and say hi to in the hallway.
What can I provide them to help me write a good LoR? I can arrange a meeting, but I'm so lost on asking them what to talk about.

Members don't see this ad.

To elaborate on this..
my practice manager can talk about how well I work with patients,
my volunteer coordinator knows my efficiency,
my writing teacher can talk about our discussion about the essays I wrote in the class,
what exactly does a science teacher talk about?

Hi Johan,

If you have no other professors to ask, then I recommend providing the professor with a short reflection on the class, your personal statement, transcript, and any other documents you feel relevant (do keep them short though. I gave my writers the AAMC core competency descriptions). Science professors can talk about your curiosity, resilience, willingness to learn, and ability to ask good questions.

But again, if you have another professor who knows you better, go with that.

Best,
Dr. Tenma

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They know I score an A in their class and I like science? If I had to say so myself, my questions were pretty entertaining lol. But it's been a while and I'm sure they don't remember that. I'm just an old student they would recognize and say hi to in the hallway.
What can I provide them to help me write a good LoR? I can arrange a meeting, but I'm so lost on asking them what to talk about.
You need to get to know them better. Otherwise, as you surmise, the letter will read "over was a student in my X class and received an A. S/he will make a fine doctor".

The question you should have asked the prof was "do you know me well enough to write me a good letter for my app to med school?"

Reactions: 1 users
One of my letter writers was someone who didn't know me that well: not much choice, I didn't have a second science professor who I had a close or regular relationship with. But before he wrote the letter we had a long talk together about me and my journey, and I provided him with my personal statement, ECs, resume, etc. As he put it, that helped him understand my narrative and structure his letter appropriately. In an ideal world, it would be better to know each of your letter writers well, but if that isn't an option, do your best to help them understand who you are, what your journey has been, and why you want to be a physician.

Reactions: 1 users