Profile of those who matched and where

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess it's not too early to start. Hope ppl fill this on Thursday, I mean Friday after your blood alcohol level drops

Members don't see this ad.

here is the template we've used. feel free to modify. if you didnt match feel free to post too.

Its nearly time. Sometime in the fall and winter interview offers for residency 2008 will start. post 'em as you get 'em with your stats. you may sign on with the anonymous account previously set up if you wish separate this info from your profile. Sseparate threads for interview date and impressions will be posted later.

Like last year, lets use a template folks can copy and paste to give people a sence of what stats get what interviews.

---Program Matched:
--Board Scores:
--AOA and class rank: if known
--GPA:
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc)
--Research: (none, some radonc with no publications, radonc publications, other pubs)
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery, medicine and radonc)
--# and where you did away rotations:
--# of programs you applied to:
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc)
--Other:

Okay, I remember how this thread went regarding profiles of those who had interview offers; only a few astronomical candidates posted their profiles, leaving us "average" (by radonc standards) candidates doubting we ever had a chance in hell of ever being interviewed. I encourage everyone who matched to submit a profile, the match is over and we're all friends here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry..you'll at least get to see my profile (after Thursday)..that oughtta satisfy the average/below average hunger. But to be honest, I think I'm the exception and I got lucky. Most people really do have exceptional numbers or research or both to get them in.

i think i'm in the same boat as napoleondynamite and am grateful just to match. and i wanted to say that I learned a lot about rad onc and the application process from previous writers and just want to contribute back. everyone who matched post up here, dont be shy :)

Last edited:
This is my first post. SDN helped me through the application process, so it's time to give back.

---Program Matched: TBA
--Board Scores: Step 1 >240 Step 2 >>240 Step 2CS Pass
--AOA and class rank: 3rd year AOA and Top 1/4 of class (we dont officially rank)
--Reputation of medical school: average
--Research: 1 basic science publication as 2nd author, 2 small rad onc projects in the works, no rad onc publications or presentations
--Honors in clerkships: all
--# and where you did away rotations: 2, Wash U and Mayo Rochester
--# of programs you applied to: 48
--# interview offers: 17 offers went to 13-U of Chicago, Emory, UTMB, UAB, MCOW, Mayo Rochester, Ohio State, VCU, Duke, Utah, Wake, Wash U, Florida
--Anything that helped your app: I had 2 really great letters that were commented on at over 50% of my interviews. I have a TON of volunteer work that was brought up a lot during interviews; maybe my contributions to society made up for my paucity of rad onc research.
--Other: My school doesn't have a residency program, so I had to rely a lot from unofficial advisors I got during my aways.

Congrats to all who matched!:)

thank you very much, those who are giving back here. this will help enormously for future student classes.

---Program Matched: top tier
--Board Scores: 250 step 1, step 2 not in time for ERAS
--AOA and class rank: in the middle, not AOA
--Reputation of medical school: top 25
--Research: Four years of rad onc related research (during med school). A few (~5) publications in good journals (most first author), presentations at national meetings.
--Honors in clerkships: rad oncx3, medicine sub-I, mostly A-/B+/HP range, mediocre grade in surgery.
--# of programs you applied to: ~40, offered interviews at about 75%. Went to ~15 including HROP, MDA, Michigan, Penn, Stanford, Wash U, Wisconsin, Yale, VCU, UAB, USC and a few others.
--Anything that helped your app: Lots of research in the field both basic science and clinical. A long standing interest in rad onc. Great letters (I think) from people I worked with closely and who knew me well. Interesting extracurriculars.
--Other: I'm glad the interviewing is over although I had a pretty good time meeting everyone and seeing all the programs. I am a fairly average student with good boards and a lot of research experience. In my opinion research experience is the most important item on ones application. At most my interviews that was the main focus of conversation. I also had a fairly clear idea in my head of what career path I was planning on taking and I think programs were impressed by this. I was very fortunate to have great mentors and to be set up in a lab were I could be productive. Best of luck to everyone, I hope this helps some.

Here we go...

--Program Matched: TBA
--Board Scores: Step 1 >230 Step 2 >250 Step 2CS Pass
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA. We don't rank.
--Reputation of medical school: Top 20
--Research: 2yrs full-time, 1 basic science; 2nd author, ~1yr rad-onc research 2 abstracts presented at smaller conferences, 2nd author pub in rad-onc under review.
--Honors in clerkships: medicine, family, obgyn, psych; grades for 4th year electives are strictly P/F hence P on rad-onc.
--# and where you did away rotations: MDA and at home program. Think aways hurt more than they help so I only did one and it was more for the experience than anything else.
--# of programs you applied to: 49
--# interview offers: 17 offers, went to 15. UofC, WashU, Northwestern, Roswell, Umaryland, Emory, UC-Davis, UWashington, Utah, Henry Ford, Ohio State, Case, MCW, UWisconsin, Arizona, USC, Minnesota
--Anything that helped your app: Two high powered letters that were commented on at many interviews. Solid basic science background due to 2yrs of research prior to med school. Neat rad-onc project with translational implications that I got lucky on in terms of results. Strength of my home rad-onc program probably helped too.
--Other: The fact that I have a sexy body...j/k. :D

Congrats to everyone...I'll edit later on where.

---Program Matched: SUNY Downstate
--Board Scores: Step I 248, Step II CS pass, Step II CK scores were not in before rank lists were due... on purpose.
--AOA and class rank: junior AOA, 1/~100
--GPA: N/A
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc) outside top 100 probably.
--Research: (none, some radonc with no publications, radonc publications, other pubs) 2 pubs in Vascular Surgery, 2 ongoing projects in Rad Onc, started at beginning of senior year, manuscripts pending.
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery, medicine and radonc) rad onc, Surgery, Peds, OB/GYN, neurology.
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 - Georgetown
--# of programs you applied to: >60
--# of Interviews: 17 offers - Loyola, MCW, UTMB, Kaiser, SUNY downstate, Harvard, MDACC, UVA, Miami, Emory, Wash U, Minnesota, Jefferson, USC, Drexel, Oregon, Beaumont. Went on 14 (did not go to UVA, Drexel, Beaumont), ranked 14.
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) 1 really sincere, heartfelt letter from a non-big name, strong dean's letter. No specifics, but my background and experiences most likely add some diversity to the field. Many awards from my medical school for academic performance, strong extracurrics and volunteer experience. I had a clear goal and good reasons for going into the field that people seemed to be interested in hearing.
--Other: Completely random process - interviewed all over the country, but none in my region. I didnt really follow the typical rad onc formula: No PhD, relatively weak research background, no big-wig letters, small, unknown program, only one away rotation that probably didnt open any doors (no interview or LOR), didnt send out one thank you email or note during the whole process, but strong academics got me in the door I suppose. Going to New York is awesome for personal reasons, and I loved the program and had a really good vibe when I interviewed. But in the end, Im just happy to match. Thats all I cared about going into this.

---Program Matched: Johns Hopkins
--Board Scores: 239 step 1, no step 2 ck or cs.
--AOA and class rank: top 1/4 of class, but not AOA
--GPA: unknown, mostly honors, a few passes/high passes
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc) top 10
--Research: (none, some radonc with no publications, radonc publications, other pubs) did a year of clinical research in rad onc, had a couple of abstracts by application time, couple of manuscripts submitted
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery, medicine and radonc) honors medicine, surgery, rad onc
--# and where you did away rotations: one at Johns Hopkins
--# of programs you applied to: applied to 36, invited to 26, went to 15
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) decent board score (yes it is not sky high but it is respectable), good grades, excellent letters from three big names, excellent performance during away, rad onc research and publications
--Other: sooooo glad it is all over... i had a tough time deciding where to do my away, whether i wanted to "shoot for the stars" or do something safe. in the end i decided to go to a place that is in between, and loved the program there, and luckily they liked me as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats nod. say hi to Ted and moody and larry for me.

First of all, to those who are applying next year - last year when i decided to be a radiation oncologist, I went to look at these profiles and freaked out; I never thought I would match. I just didn't measure up to the typical geniuses on this forum. I honestly had nightmares all the time about never matching and being homeless and jobless - but I can tell you today that I am the happiest med student on Earth!! I'm hoping my info will be helpful, but don't read too much into it. Don't get stressed out by this site - just concentrate on being yourself, being confident, and all your wildest dreams will come true (that last bit was in honor of our forum buddy, Napoleon) :D

--Program Matched: Fox Chase
--Board Scores: Step 1: 255, Step 2 CK: score not back yet (on purpose)
--AOA and class rank: if known No AOA, no rank
--GPA: who knows - I got honors in the core preclinical classes (except for gross anatomy and embryo)
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc) bottom of the top 50
--Research: (none, some radonc with no publications, radonc publications, other pubs) - two ongoing projects in radonc (started one this year, one last year), 4th author of one publication from 1999 in a field totally unrelated to medicine
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery, medicine and radonc) medicine, neurology, and radonc
--# and where you did away rotations: 2 aways both in nyc
--# of programs you applied to: like 60!!
--# interviews: 15 (Fox Chase, U Maryland, Emory, Georgetown, NYU, Montefiore, Mt. Sinai, SUNY Brooklyn, Columbia, Cornell, U. Florida, Kaiser LA, Case-Western, Colorado)
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc). 1 big-wig letter, undergraduate degree in physics, sense of humor during the interview, my home program director made a phone call to my top choice (and I sent them a letter)
--Other: Congrats to my colleagues who matched, and good luck to those who are matching in years to come

A wise radonc resident told me once of the four happiest days of his life:

1) The day he got married
2) The day his first child was born
3) The day he found out he matched in radiation oncology
4) His first day of residency in radiation oncology after enduring a hellish prelim medicine year.

Today is TRULY one of the happiest days of my life. Becoming a radiation oncologist for me was a bit of a dream..I can't believe that it will be my reality. I honestly believe this is the very best field out there. I feel like I won the lottery, invested the money wisely and got a return of 10x my winnings, then inherited half the virgin islands and was voted president of the U.S. by write-in all at the same time. I just want to thank Stephew, GFunk6, SimulD, CNphair and all you other "regulars" on this site who give good advice but also encourage applicants like me not to give up!

---Program Matched: Drexel - hooray!!
--Board Scores: 212 step 1. I studied my ace off, but it wasn't enough. Because of this, I decided (against the advice of my mentor who said I should probably take step 2 CK early) to delay taking step 2CK in case I bombed that one too. I thought one bad score was enough..if I posted another weakish score it would hurt me more than potentially smoking step 2 would help me.
--AOA and class rank: I'm not AOA..but my friend's and I all elected ourselves into the "BOB," an up-and-coming prestigious organization! My school does not have a ranking system..but I imagine if they did I would be in the middle somewhere.
--GPA: No GPA system at my school either. We have p/f with honors. I honored a handful of classes in the first two years (around 6 I think).
--Reputation of medical school: Mid-tier
--Research: I participated in one radonc project, but no publication from it, which, in terms of interviews makes it pretty meaningless. I did some research between first and second year that appealed to many interviewers. I got a grant from the National Library of Medicine to create a digital teaching tool for Gross Anatomy students. Since it was "techy" research, I demonstrated true interest that aspect of radonc..but no publication from that either. However, I did list the website I made under "publications" on ERAS so that I'd have something in that slot..
--Honors in clerkships: radonc x3, Psychiatry, Family Medicine
--# and where you did away rotations: I went a little nuts and did 4 away rotations (MDACC for a letter, then UW, Loma Linda, Arizona). I also spent a month working with radiation oncologists in Ghana, which counted as an additional radonc elective. The Ghana thing made for excellent interview conversation, and was also a ton of fun.
--# of programs you applied to: All of em' ($1500 smackers well spent!)
--Anything that helped your app: I managed to get a letter from a top faculty member while at MDACC which was commented on at several places. Also, PD's seemed impressed with my experience in Ghana and also my NLM grant for research between first & second year (despite no publication). I also feel that my age & life experience (I worked as a firefighter/paramedic prior to med school) was probably attractive..but who knows!
--Other: Set your mind to it and you'll get it. I was expecting not to match this year..I honestly feel so lucky and blessed. At the same time, if I hadn't matched you bet I'd be applying again, AND AGAIN until I got a spot. You have to believe that no matter how much other people may think you stink, you'll give em' hell and get in somehow. My fourth year sucked ROYALLY. My strategy to get in was to get a big-name letter at MDACC and then do as many aways as possible to secure other interviews. As a result, I spent ALL of my elective time doing radonc rotations..which are very hard rotations as a 4th year b/c you're working your butt off to impress people. I feel like I repeated 3rd year..but it was worth it. Do whatever it takes to get in if you really want it! Congrats to everyone and I look forward to seeing you at conferences and things in the future! ND

Program Matched: #1 choice
Board Scores: Step 1, 242. Step 2, Not in time for application.
AOA and class rank: AOA. No class ranks.
GPA: pass/fail system at our school.
Reputation of medical school: Top 20.
Research: (1) Began 1 radonc clinical study and submitted first-author abstract before ROL due; (2) 1 published non-radonc clinical paper (on cardiothoracic surgery) second authorship in med school; (3) 1 published non-radonc basic science third authorship from undergrad.
Honors in clerkships: Medicine, Psychiatry, Pediatrics.
# and where you did away rotations: 0 (my school had 2 radonc departments to rotate through; 1 home department, and 1 affiliate).
# of programs you applied to: 17.
# interview offers and where: 6. Duke, Mount Sinai, Kaiser-LA, UCLA, UNC, CalPacific.
Anything that helped your app: Devoting time and energy at the programs where I hoped to match, getting to know the faculty/residents and allowing them to get to know me. Having interesting life experiences, as Napoleon mentioned, made for fun interview conversations, including working at a drug-addiction rehab clinic prior to med school, and doing several international rotations in Brazil and Mexico.
Other: MD-only candidate. My advice to future checkers of SDN is similar to that of CaptainXRT: don't get stressed out over this message board, focus on simply doing your best, and try to enjoy every step of the way! =)

Congrats to all of you! I can't believe that it's been over a year since I matched myself. I'm glad to see applicants with average Step scores posting to dispel the misconception that you need monster numbers to match into RadOnc. Iin this way, the field is much more accessible than say, Derm.

Anyway, I hope someone will start a listing of residents like we did last year (e.g. who is going where). Enjoy the rest of your 4th year!

Congrats to all of you.

Hey NapoleanDynamite -- I never doubted you.

---Program Matched: #1 Choice
--Board Scores: Step 1 250 Step 2 CK/CS (just took them)
--AOA and class rank: if known
--GPA:
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc) Top 10
--Research: (none, some radonc with no publications, radonc publications, other pubs) I spent a year before medical school doing basic science research at the National Cancer Institute (but no publications) but did not take any dedicated research time off during medical school. I did translational tumor immunology research during my first 2 years of medical school and 1 year of clinical research in the rad onc department at my home university. I had multiple first author abstracts from rad onc clinical research and basic science research and two publications (one second author and one third author).
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery, medicine and radonc): Honors: Surgery, Medicine, Ob/Gyn, Neurology,Peds
--# and where you did away rotations: One away rotation
--# of programs you applied to: Applied to 40, interview offers at 30- went to 10 interviews: Harvard, MSKCC, MDACC, U Chicago, U Michigan, Mayo, Loyola, Stanford, UCSF, UCLA
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc): I had really strong letters of recommendation that were commented on at nearly every intereview. One exceptionally strong letter from a big name in radiation oncology, 2 other strong radiation oncology letters, and a letter from big med onc name.
Aside from letters, I also had interesting extracurriculars and definitely let my number one choice know that I wanted to be there.
--Other: When I first decided on radiation oncology at the end of my third year of medical school, I was pretty intimidated by how competitive it is. But you really don't need to be a MD/PhD to match. Although my Step 1 scores were strong, I don't think they are as important as people make them out to be.

please continue contirbuting here. if you matched or didnt, its very helpful to others.

--Program Matched: #2 UC Davis
--Board Scores: Step 1 245; Step 2 CK/CS (just took them)
--AOA and class rank: AOA
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc) Top 30
--Research: (none, some radonc with no publications, radonc publications, other pubs) Onc in undergrad, first-authored coming out next month - submitted during interviews.
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery, medicine and radonc): All except psych
--# and where you did away rotations: 2 west coast
--# of programs you applied to: Applied to 20 (stupid), interview offers at 10: UCSF, UCD, Kaiser LA, USC, Northwestern, Mt Sinai, UMDNJ, SUNY Downstate, Cornell, UC Irvine (couldn't quite make tho...)
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call to a program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc): Good letters from attendings I trusted. Junior faculty at my school and at my aways that were down to earth, inspired me, and vouched for me.
--Other: Good friends, best girlfriend, hard-work, faith, and being true...

---Program Matched: #1 Choice
--Board Scores: Step 1 245; Step 2 CK/CS (still awaiting results)
--AOA and class rank: AOA - junior inductee
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): top 30
--Research: 1 publication (3rd author); 3 abstracts (1 Rad-Onc); couple of posters (none Rad Onc)
--Honors in 3rd year clerkships: Medicine, Surgery, Psych, Peds
--# and where you did away rotations: One away rotation
--# of programs you applied to: approx 34 - 15 interview offers - went on 12: Mayo (Rochester), Wash U, UPenn, Yale, Michigan, Emory, Maryland, NYU, Colorado, Thomas Jefferson, MCOW, Beaumont
--Anything that helped your app: Worked my butt off during my Rad Onc rotations and it was apparently commented on by all of my letter writers. Had an interesting Rad Onc project in the works which was useful to talk about on interviews.
--Other: Don't underestimate the importance of interviews. Rad Onc departments are small and you're going to be around these people for 4 years. Departments want residents who are both energetic and kind. I know of two people who were initially wait-listed for interviews and then ended up matching at that program.

--Program Matched: #3 choice, Top 5 Program
--Board Scores: Step 1 ~250, Step 2 CS/CK TBA
--AOA and class rank: Junior AOA, #1
--GPA: n/a
--Reputation of medical school: Below 100
--Research: 2 years clinical research in oncology at a top cancer hospital, 2 pubs, 5 abstract/posters, no rad onc specific research, no first author pubs
--Honors in clerkships: All
--# and where you did away rotations: 2- MDACC, UCSF
--# of programs you applied to: 45. Received 35 interview offers, went on 18 (Michigan, U Chicago, Loyola, Northwestern, UCSF, Stanford, Wash U, Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, Mount Sinai, Emory, UNC, Thomas Jefferson, Fox Chase, CPMC, U Colorado, Hopkins)
--Anything that helped your app: In general, I think that it is possible to match at a top program without pedigree or a PhD if you have a very strong academic record AND have support from and do research with well-known people from well-known places. I believe that doing research at a very well known institution helped me to overcome my school's name. I think my academic performance helped too. For those of you applying who aren't at the top med schools, definitely go for it. Shoot high, rotate at big name places and make contacts with people there to support your application along the way. And if possible, get involved in research at a well-known place. I think this will help you to secure a spot in the match, and maybe even at a "top" program. There are a ton of great programs out there outside of the "top ten" or whatever that people list on this forum. I advise checking out programs you are interested in, in places you'd be happy living, and don't get so caught up in the rumors that spread rapidly throughout the interview circuit. This policy helped me to create a long rank list from which I would have been happy with almost any outcome. Thanks to everyone before us...your input made me crazy at times but was certainly instrumental in helping me to navigate this process.

--Program Matched: Ohio State - Couples matched!
--Board Scores: Step 1 234, Step 2 237
--AOA and class rank: Pass/Fail (no rank), Non-AOA
--GPA: n/a
--Reputation of medical school: Strong Primary Care (top 15 via USNews)
--Research: Three papers (2 second author physics, 1 third author clinical) for rad onc. Four abstracts to national meetings in rad onc. A few small endowments and larger scholarship monies for my previous endeavors.
--Honors in clerkships: Family Practice, Clinical Honors in Surg, Peds, Ob/Gyn and Psych.
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 - U of Michigan
--# of programs you applied to: 41. Received 13 interview offers, went on 12 (Loyola, Mount Sinai, MCW, Beaumont, Henry Ford, Wayne St, Case Western, Cincinnati, OSU, Buffalo, Virginia, Louisville, UC-Irvine - Withdrew from the match)
--Anything that helped your app: I think a strong emphasis in research helped me the most, especially as my home school didn't have a program in radiation oncology. I also think strong LoRs from names in the field were very helpful... It was amazing to see that most interviewers typically just looked for the author of the LoR, and if they knew that author then they read the letter... if not, the letter might as well not have been written :laugh: (i.e. get Rad Onc Letters!). Also be yourself at the interviews... There's a post somewhere in the forums from a chief resident stating how applicants are on even ground when it comes to the interview. This is so true, and being yourself can help solidify a wonderful application.
--Anything that didn't matter (I'm adding this category): I found it interesting that most of my non-academic or non-rad onc activities meant little to nothing, even though I put a strong amount of effort in them. I was heavily involved in other projects such as setting up a school group that benefited young kids with disabilities (raised ~$2k for them, volunteered for them), and did research outside of Rad Onc (forensics). Only one interviewer at one program commented on these activities so they definitely didn't help the interview. I'm not sure if these helped in getting me interviews or not, but I'd assume no. While I wouldn't trade these experiences for the world, they meant very little in terms of my overall application into the field of Rad Onc. A side note is that they helped my transitional interviews! :laugh:

Program Matched: Top 5, #1 Choice
Board Scores: Step 1, 250+. Step 2, Not in time for application.
AOA and class rank: Not AOA.
Reputation of medical school: Top 5.
Research: Additional year of study devoted to rad onc - two rad onc pubs in top cancer journals as 1st author, several posters at ASTRO/RRS/AACR
Honors in clerkships: Medicine, Surgery, Neurology, Psych
# and where you did away rotations: 1- home program only
# of programs you applied to: 27.
# interview offers and where: 22 - Went to: UCSF, Stanford, Yale, Hopkins, Maryland, Michigan, Wash U, MSKCC, MDACC, Harvard, Columbia*, Emory*, Mt. Sinai*, Duke, Fox Chase*, U Penn; *-Did not rank; Declined other offers.
Anything that helped your app: extra year of basic science research, strong letters from mentors whom I knew very well. Published work is the key.

Program Matched: Indiana; couples-matched.
Board Scores: Step 1, 255. Step 2, Not in time for application.
AOA and class rank: Junior AOA, not ranked.
Reputation of medical school: Mid-to-low level state school without home program.
Research: 3 years of undergrad bench research in radiation medicine. However, only one third author abstract ever resulted from it. Also have an ongoing clinical radonc project underway that was started during away rotation at big name place. Essentially no publications though.
Honors in clerkships: Medicine, Surgery, Psych, OB/GYN
# and where you did away rotations: 2 - Columbia and UCSF
# of programs you applied to: 60.
# interview offers and where: 27 offers, went on 22 - Indiana, GU, Einstein, Cornell, SUNY Downstate, Columbia, Sinai, PENN, Drexel, ThomJeff, VCU, Emory, Miami, Cleveland Clinic, Case Western, Loyola, Northwestern, Baylor, USC, MCOW, UMDNJ, Duke. Ranked all.
Anything that helped your app: I think that although my undergrad experience did not produce any publications, it showed that I have been interested in the field for quite some time. One very interesting letter from a non-radonc faculty was mentioned on multiple interviews. You;d be amazed at how far a simple clinical project will carry you on interviews.
Not having a home program or any publications made me very nervous when I decided to go for Rad Onc but I had a girlfriend who convinced me to give it a shot. Good luck to everyone out there!

For those of you that were't born knowing you wanted to go into Rad Onc, who don't have a PhD or spent a year at NIH, and who don't have family members in the Rad Onc world, I want to say that things can still work out very well if you work hard your fourth year.

---Program Matched: Top 20 program (where I spent an externship)
--Board Scores: Step 1 233, Step 2 239 (released before match, but highly doubt programs cared)
--AOA and class rank: didn't make AOA; Upper middle third of class
--GPA: 3.67
--Reputation of medical school: Top 10 in the southeast
--Research: I didn't have experience in research until starting a Rad Onc project January of my 3rd year. Finished the draft around June. Started project #2 during research month in Sept of 4th year. 1st project not accepted for publication till Dec; 2nd still pending publication. First author on both. Worked on 3rd project during January of interview month (2nd author; only 2 weeks of work).
--Honors in clerkships: no honors at our school
--# and where you did away rotations: My program (Top 15 program) and 3 other externships. Instead of doing 2 four week externships, I did 3 three week externships. It's only 1 extra week and it allowed me exposure at an extra school. Scheduling was kinda of hard, but you can use a research month as a buffer. The programs didn't care that I was only there for 3 weeks. I choose programs where I felt I had a good chance of matching/liked the location. I spread my externships out with 1 top tier, 1 mid tier, and 1 low tier program. I avoided the top 10 programs b/c I felt I didn't have a great chance of matching there and I already had solid letters from my home program.
--# of programs you applied to: started with 37 (mostly regional), but increased to 50 after getting anxious in November. Got 1 interview from the latter programs.
--# of interviews: 9
--Anything that helped your app: Not that I can think of. But I was surprised to find how little the interviewers cared about non-radonc stuff like medical missions, volunteer work, leadership during medical school. Interviews largely focused on discussing my research.

--Other: As you can see, I made up for lost time and non-stupendous board scores by committing myself to research and spending time at schools where I had a decent possibility of matching. I can't say enough about needing to do as much research as possible. Interviews revolved around them and, honestly, you probably shouldn't get into the field without knowing if you like/can endure research or not. Even if you don't KNOW if Rad Onc is for you, start a project ASAP. If you stay interested yippie; if you aren't interested anymore, oh well, it certainly won't hurt you in whichever other specialty you choose. I highly suggest retrospective clinical projects with <100 patients (usually going to be rarer diseases) so that you can get it done in a reasonable amount of time. Interviewers didn't care about the size of my project or whether or not it was published ("submitted" is fine), only that I could talk about it intelligently.

On another note, I want to speak to all of you out there who are Christians. Whether you're considering Rad Onc or another field, I want to encourage you to live out your faith by handing over control of your future to God. CHOOSE to let His will be done in your life rather than trying to control everything yourself. I can't begin to describe how much stress was taken away from me by simply praying that: Lord, if it is your will for me to become a radiation oncologist, then let it be so. If not, then I will choose to listen to you and follow your lead elsewhere. I know this must sound rather strange to someone who doesn't believe, but for those who have Faith I encourage you to live by it.

Luke 12:22-36 Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?" In Mark 6:33-34 he says, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

i dont think you can really call anything a "top 20 program" etc as there is no such ranking. it would be nice if people would let us know where they're going, although it is appreciated that people like their privacy.

i dont think you can really call anything a "top 20 program" etc as there is no such ranking. it would be nice if people would let us know where they're going, although it is appreciated that people like their privacy.

By "top 20 program" I mean one of the often mentioned runner-ups to the top 10 list on the "Rad Onc Rankings" thread.

And as for privacy, I don't want to add or subtract from my program's reputation based on any of the comments or info I post on this forum.

---Program Matched: #1 choice, top tier
--Board Scores: Step 1: 226, Step 2 CK: 236, Step 2 CS: pass
--AOA and class rank: senior AOA, 9/135
--GPA: ~3.9
--Reputation of medical school: Mid-to-low level state school without home program
--Research: 3 years radiation bio research during med school, poster presentation at RRS (listed in publications)
--Honors in clerkships: My school doesn't give honors in rotations, but got A's in all of them
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 away at MDACC
--# of programs you applied to: 50
--# interview offers and where: 15 offers, interviewed at 14 - Mayo-Jax, Mayo-Rochester, UTMB, Fox Chase, Penn, Kansas, Iowa, WashU, Indiana, Cincinnati, Louisville, Yale, VCU, Miami
--Anything that helped your app: 2 big-wig letters, my research advisor called programs for me, I called and told my first choice that they were #1 on my list
--Other: I was very intimidated by the people that post on this forum, b/c everyone's board scores were phenomenal and everyone talks about how difficult it is to get interviews if you're not from a top name school. When I got my board scores back, I thought I had no shot since it wasn't >240, but I read the match stats from 2006 and the average board score for applicants who matched in RadOnc was 228. That means for all the 290+ that post on this forum, there were lots of lower scores that matched to even out the average. My advice to anyone wanting to do radiation oncology, no matter what school you're from, is to do a few away rotations (more than me), at least one at a big place specifically to get a letter from someone famous, and start doing research as soon as you decide you want to do radiation oncology. Also, apply to as many programs as you can afford, and interview at as many as possible (I've heard that 8 is the magic number - it give you ~90% chance of matching). Another thing, if you don't hear from a program that you applied to (either inviting you for an interview, or denying you) call them to find out where you stand. This shows that you're interested and actually helped me to get one of my interviews. I could be wrong, but I really believe that once you're offered an interview, you are on equal footing with everyone else who interviews there. They wouldn't invite you if they didn't think you were qualified enough, and I think a lot of programs look for people who's personalities fit well into the department. So go, be yourself, and find where you think you would be the happiest.

On another note, I want to speak to all of you out there who are Christians. Whether you're considering Rad Onc or another field, I want to encourage you to live out your faith by handing over control of your future to God. CHOOSE to let His will be done in your life rather than trying to control everything yourself. I can't begin to describe how much stress was taken away from me by simply praying that: Lord, if it is your will for me to become a radiation oncologist, then let it be so. If not, then I will choose to listen to you and follow your lead elsewhere. I know this must sound rather strange to someone who doesn't believe, but for those who have Faith I encourage you to live by it.

Luke 12:22-36 Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?" In Mark 6:33-34 he says, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

I wanted to say I agree with this. Life is much better when you give up control to God and follow where He leads, knowing you'll end up where you are supposed to go.

please keep this on the topic of placements. thank you.
Closing down the impressions account. Again.