This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSandlapper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I will give this a rudimentary attempt using a sole proprietor , single with no dependents living in Marion Ohio.
1) Practice's gross income is 980,000 less 65% overhead (rent, supplies, utilities, employee salaries, employee benefits, payroll taxes, interest on practice debt etc.) yields $343,000 gross profit.
2) Now the tax man gets his second turn (employers share of medicare and fica being the first)
343,000 annual income at the 33% bracket means you owe uncle sam $113,190 in federal income taxes
343,000 AI means you owe the great state of Ohio 5.33% or $18,219
343,ooo AI means you owe the city of Marion 1.5% income tax or $5,145

Which translates into $206,446 gross income after taxes in which to feed, clothe, house, entertain and service your personal debts.

This is very simplified and there are a myriad of ways in which to lower your taxable income that I did not take into account (retirement plans, home mortgage, accelerated equipment depreciation etc.)

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah that's the general breakdown of it. I think you would save a little bit more through a s corp though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will give this a rudimentary attempt using a sole proprietor , single with no dependents living in Marion Ohio.
1) Practice's gross income is 980,000 less 65% overhead (rent, supplies, utilities, employee salaries, employee benefits, payroll taxes, interest on practice debt etc.) yields $343,000 gross profit.
2) Now the tax man gets his second turn (employers share of medicare and fica being the first)
343,000 annual income at the 33% bracket means you owe uncle sam $113,190 in federal income taxes
343,000 AI means you owe the great state of Ohio 5.33% or $18,219
343,ooo AI means you owe the city of Marion 1.5% income tax or $5,145

Which translates into $206,446 gross income after taxes in which to feed, clothe, house, entertain and service your personal debts.

This is very simplified and there are a myriad of ways in which to lower your taxable income that I did not take into account (retirement plans, home mortgage, accelerated equipment depreciation etc.)
so is net income after all those taxes and such?

The number you usually see representing dentist, associate income and practice profit is income before taxes.