Program Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jon Davis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I've decided to become an emergency physician or surgeon. I am curious about what courses and extra-ciricular activities I should sign up for so I can reach my goal without learning the some lessons the hard way. I am just entering university. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are just entering undergrad studies then it might be a bit premature to have your choices narrowed down that much. Best advice is to make good grades and to log some volunteer time at a hospital. ER docs have to know everything and be ready for anything. Toxicology really important. Spend some time in the ER if you haven't already.

Thanks for the advice but I know about volunteering and such. What I wanted to know are things like what courses to steer clear of and what courses I shouldn't comibine with others to make a heavy work load. Things of that nature.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of it is going to depend on when you think you would like to take your MCAT, and of course on what you major in. I didn't major in science, and so I don't think that I ever went over 2 science classes per quarter, not including independent research, which felt like a really good balance for me. Also, the typical achilles heels for most premeds are organic chem classes or physics classes, depending on your background. You may not initially want to try out these two areas at the same time. Personally, I found the most important thing to concentrate on at the beginning of college was getting used to the college system and really getting my study skills down. So, you might want to kind of start out slowly this first year, and as you feel more sure of yourself, take on more responsibilities.

Major in something you enjoy, not necessarily in science. Your pre-med courses will more than prepare you for the MCAT, and it will make you a more well-rounded person to learn about other stuff besides science, unless of course, you love science. It is intersting that you so adamantly state your career wishes: EM or surgery, when they are so different in nature. Enjoy college and do well. Study hard and take it one step at a time. When the time comes, you'll decide on a specialty, but, you are very far away from such concerns. Whatever you do, do not miss out on growing as a person during college; It is more important than you can imagine. Although it is important to be ambitious and set goals, the most important quality you absolutely need to be a good doctor is to first, be a good person.

With respect to coursework: don't take too many sciences at once and avoid orgo with physics. Also try to take calculus before physics.

Good luck!