Program Directors please read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InternalWhizzzz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is one of the emails I got from a previous med student, who is now an intern at a prestigious program..she told me to post this for her. so here it is

In order to present the well being of your program and your overall appeal to future residents...I have accumulated several things that would help spread good rumors about your program, and squash all bad rumors:

1) Never ever publicly humiliate any of your residents. (Believe me, word spreads from resident to resident and med school to med school very fast)

2) Even if you think the applicant in front of you is horrible, it doesn't hurt to be nice and thank them for visiting yoru school. Please understand, flying to your program, staying at a hotel isn't cheap :(

3) Please, don't tell an applicant unnecessarily taht they are the cream of the crop and that you would rank them as #1, when in fact you have no intentions of doing so.

4) Med students are human beings, with emotions, feelings, some might have gone through tragedies, the death of a loved one, tragedies like 9/11, It isn't nice when you pry into the details of the exact event, of what and when it happened. How would you like it if someone questioned you to specific detail about your messy divorce? One program, asked about the exact details of when and how a persona's father died (this is very inappropriate)

5) At the end of the day, even if a resident doesn't match, the experience a person gets by being there, dramatically changes their opinion of you. Next time around, when students are applying, they ask us what we thought of the visit and your program.

6) Never ever come to websites such as studentdoctor.net, scutwork.com and try to discredit the resident....it doesn't bode well for the program...when you are "trying to silence all oppositoin"....it might work well in germany in the 1940s, not good when you are trying to recruit pple.

7) Reserve sending rejections out until the very end...and please be polite in your wording. Sending emails such as, we have no spots for someone of your caliber are mean spirited and uncalled for.

My point is, please treat all your applicants, American Grad, Osteopaths and Foregin grads with respect. You will be surprised how far and fast word spreads, especially in the era of mass email...

Good Luck and Good Night,

Members don't see this ad.

well spoken, except that I would rather get a rejection early if that program has no interest in me, not at the end and have me hold out hope... Duke is coming to mind ...

Would you not want a rejection sooner rather than later?

Members don't see this ad :)
InternalWhizzzz said:
...when you are "trying to silence all oppositoin"....it might work well in germany in the 1940s, not good when you are trying to recruit pple.

Ring Ring.

The horse called and is asking you to stop beating it because it is already dead.

ROFFLEROFFLE

OMGWTFBBQ!

this post serves just as much utility as the one preceeding it.

phllystyl said:
ROFFLEROFFLE

OMGWTFBBQ!

this post serves just as much utility as the one preceeding it.

Everything serves a purpose, even a fool.

McGillGrad said:
Everything serves a purpose, even a fool.

so....what's YOUR purpose McGill???? :laugh: :love: :laugh: :love:

InternalWhizzzz said:
this is one of the emails I got from a previous med student, who is now an intern at a prestigious program..she told me to post this for her. so here it is

In order to present the well being of your program and your overall appeal to future residents...I have accumulated several things that would help spread good rumors about your program, and squash all bad rumors:

1) Never ever publicly humiliate any of your residents. (Believe me, word spreads from resident to resident and med school to med school very fast)

2) Even if you think the applicant in front of you is horrible, it doesn't hurt to be nice and thank them for visiting yoru school. Please understand, flying to your program, staying at a hotel isn't cheap :(

3) Please, don't tell an applicant unnecessarily taht they are the cream of the crop and that you would rank them as #1, when in fact you have no intentions of doing so.

4) Med students are human beings, with emotions, feelings, some might have gone through tragedies, the death of a loved one, tragedies like 9/11, It isn't nice when you pry into the details of the exact event, of what and when it happened. How would you like it if someone questioned you to specific detail about your messy divorce? One program, asked about the exact details of when and how a persona's father died (this is very inappropriate)

5) At the end of the day, even if a resident doesn't match, the experience a person gets by being there, dramatically changes their opinion of you. Next time around, when students are applying, they ask us what we thought of the visit and your program.

6) Never ever come to websites such as studentdoctor.net, scutwork.com and try to discredit the resident....it doesn't bode well for the program...when you are "trying to silence all oppositoin"....it might work well in germany in the 1940s, not good when you are trying to recruit pple.

7) Reserve sending rejections out until the very end...and please be polite in your wording. Sending emails such as, we have no spots for someone of your caliber are mean spirited and uncalled for.

My point is, please treat all your applicants, American Grad, Osteopaths and Foregin grads with respect. You will be surprised how far and fast word spreads, especially in the era of mass email...

Good Luck and Good Night,

Good points, I wish this could be mass mailed to all PD's!