DO_Surgeon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
I am on the interview trail for CT surgery, and realized that one of the programs I am going to interview at this week is actually on probation. What is the implication of this? Should I even bother putting on my rank list? I realize that CT surgery isn't all that competitive, but just curious what happens if you start at a program that is on probation then it loses its accreditation...are you allowed to finish?

JackADeli

10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2008
South
Status
Non-Student
I am on the interview trail for CT surgery, and realized that one of the programs I am going to interview at this week is actually on probation. What is the implication of this? Should I even bother putting on my rank list? I realize that CT surgery isn't all that competitive, but just curious what happens if you start at a program that is on probation then it loses its accreditation...are you allowed to finish?
Not speaking to CT specifically but rather residencies in general....
Probation can mean numerous things. It comes down to what the specific citations are? Citations could be from lack of specific education conferences to poor documentation of clinic attendance, or work hour violations, etc...

What is the overall stature of the parent institution.... say a Vanderbilt or Duke? High stature means the institution beyond just the specific department will take the citations seriously and often put money into the subdivision program. Loss of a residency brings a microscope onto other programs in the institution... like the general surgery program, etc...

Also, programs can be placed on probation for "incomplete filling". A program sized out for say 2 residents a year that hasn't matched to capacity and/or has a vacant upper level years/classes will be put on probation. ACGME feels that if you have "loan-wolf" residents without more senior residents (big brothers/sisters) you are at increased risk of abuse... and less chance/opportunity to anonymously report violations. CT is a field that I believe may, based on recent year reports of non-matching, have quite a few programs that are incompletely filled.

So, again, I can not speak to CT per se but the issue comes down to the specifics of why.... When you visit the program, they should be able to specifically show you in printed format the exact citations and tell you how they are being rectified. Do not accept a verbal blow-off explanation.... i.e. "oh it was no big deal, our filing system wasn't updated", etc....

Last edited: