Program pressuring me to tell them how will I rank them

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amygdala23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This particular program is pressuring me to tell them how will I rank them. I still haven't figured out my ROL, and they are potentially my No.1, but I'm still not sure.

I don't want to tell them that they're my No.1 in case I put other program in the 1 st place, and match there. I know that in that case PD will see where I matched and that I lied. Honesty and integrity are important to me, and I could never do something unethical as this.

Yes, I know they're not allowed to ask me that.

Yes, I know I could rank them No.7 for example, and they can still end up being the place I matched at, and they will never know they were my No. 7.

Anyway, I'm afraid if I don't tell them that I'm ranking them No.1 that they will drop me on their ROL.

What is the best way to go about this? Besides figuring out my ROL ASAP. I'm still not done with my interviews. And I'm not close to making the decision at the moment :(

Members don't see this ad.

Tell them you love them all equally. Same lie you tell children.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't overthink this.

Don't copy and paste this directly (based on your ethics I wouldn't expect you to do so). You have to play the same game...be vague and leave things up to interpretation (top of list could mean number one...it could mean in the top three...it could mean in the top 5 depending on how many programs you are ranking).

Dear so and so:

It is great to hear from you again. I am not finished with interviews so I really haven't formed my rank list yet.

I wanted to take the time to reiterate how enjoyable my interview day was at your program. I would be thrilled to match at your program and I'm sure I would thrive there as a resident.

Again, I have not figured out my final rank list yet, but your program will surely be at the top.

Best,
Heart on coffee cup

Reactions: 1 user
To play devil's advocate here, if a program makes you feel pressured and uncomfortable when you haven't even been in their program, imagine what your years with that program will be? Recruitment process says a lot about programs

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you @Dral. I wrote them something along those lines.

To play devil's advocate here, if a program makes you feel pressured and uncomfortable when you haven't even been in their program, imagine what your years with that program will be? Recruitment process says a lot about programs

My thoughts exactly.
Although I tried to reassure myself that maybe just their PC is like that, and not necessarily reflection of the whole program, but certainly their post-interview communication has not helped them to be be seen in a better light.

Thank you @Dral. I wrote them something along those lines.

My thoughts exactly.
Although I tried to reassure myself that maybe just their PC is like that, and not necessarily reflection of the whole program, but certainly their post-interview communication has not helped them to be be seen in a better light.

I think a team is as good as the leader so the fact that the program puts this person in the front lines of recruiting candidates puts a little bad taste in my mouth! You do have to interact with PC more than the rest of the faculty OP as he/she is the one that makes sure you complete your requirements so please make your decision wisely!

This particular program is pressuring me to tell them how will I rank them. I still haven't figured out my ROL, and they are potentially my No.1, but I'm still not sure.

I don't want to tell them that they're my No.1 in case I put other program in the 1 st place, and match there. I know that in that case PD will see where I matched and that I lied. Honesty and integrity are important to me, and I could never do something unethical as this.

Yes, I know they're not allowed to ask me that.

Yes, I know I could rank them No.7 for example, and they can still end up being the place I matched at, and they will never know they were my No. 7.

Anyway, I'm afraid if I don't tell them that I'm ranking them No.1 that they will drop me on their ROL.

What is the best way to go about this? Besides figuring out my ROL ASAP. I'm still not done with my interviews. And I'm not close to making the decision at the moment :(
If you have verifiable evidence of this behavior, you own this program. This is a clear Match violation.

When I applied a PD from an advanced program looked me in the eye and told me he would be ranking me and everyone else who interviewed.

Turned out the program went unfilled and I didn’t match my advanced position and had to scramble into one. In other words, they lied and didn’t rank me at all. I sent an email asking politely what I did to offend them to not rank me and told them I would still love to come since they did not match. No response. They took a FMG instead out of the match. I still have no idea what I did but I am 99% sure it was because I didn’t send a thank you email since the chair made a big deal about applicants “needing to play the game”

Bottom line, the programs lie as much, if not moreso, than applicants. I’m still pissed about it this day and plan to come back and call them out one day once I’m totally done and protected.

Reactions: 4 users
When I applied a PD from an advanced program looked me in the eye and told me he would be ranking me and everyone else who interviewed.

Turned out the program went unfilled and I didn’t match my advanced position and had to scramble into one. In other words, they lied and didn’t rank me at all. I sent an email asking politely what I did to offend them to not rank me and told them I would still love to come since they did not match. No response. They took a FMG instead out of the match. I still have no idea what I did but I am 99% sure it was because I didn’t send a thank you email since the chair made a big deal about applicants “needing to play the game”

Bottom line, the programs lie as much, if not moreso, than applicants. I’m still pissed about it this day and plan to come back and call them out one day once I’m totally done and protected.
"Don't get mad, get even"
John F Kennedy