Program Rankings Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OhioSurgery

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I am a 3rd year student and I am not the best of the best. I am an average student, below average board score, right around the middle of the class, maybe a little below the 50th percentile, but I really fell in love with General Surgery. The faculty at my school are very supportive and told me not to worry about getting in somewhere, but to make sure to apply to 2nd and 3rd tier programs to ensure I will match.

That is the problem, how do you know which programs are 2nd and 3rd tier? I can only find rankings for the best programs. Does anyone know of a place where there are complete rankings? Or which programs are typically closer to the bottom as at least a place to start?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Okay so I am a 3rd year student and I am not the best of the best. I am an average student, below average board score, right around the middle of the class, maybe a little below the 50th percentile, but I really fell in love with General Surgery. The faculty at my school are very supportive and told me not to worry about getting in somewhere, but to make sure to apply to 2nd and 3rd tier programs to ensure I will match.

That is the problem, how do you know which programs are 2nd and 3rd tier? I can only find rankings for the best programs. Does anyone know of a place where there are complete rankings? Or which programs are typically closer to the bottom as at least a place to start?

Thanks!!!

You should talk to your PD or a mentor who is knowledgeable of different programs and how competitive they are. Generally, academic programs are more competitive than community programs. This is not to discourage you from applying to both, but to make sure you apply broadly. Also, some of the better community programs are more competitive than some of the crappier academic ones.

If you have good clinical grades and LOR's, this will open some doors. Taking step 2 early and doing well can also help. If a well known mentor makes a call on your behalf after interviews are done, that can land you a spot where you want.

I would not be so quick to settle for programs at the "bottom of the list" but would certainly apply broadly.