Program selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted4401

So, I just started ERAS, and have noticed some programs aren't in the NRMP. Does that mean they aren't offering a spot, or does it mean that they have a separate application process? How do you figure that out?

And how many programs are people applying to? I'm loading the shotgun and leaving out very few programs, but the list is getting huge and I'm starting to think I should purge a few more. I guess I just don't which ones can be considered 'lower tier', if there is such a thing (people have been telling me that almost every program is damn good), in this competitive of a match.

Well ... I wish everyone good luck! It looks like we're in in for a doozy ... Many interviews to you all!

Simul

Members don't see this ad.

You can call the programs that aren't listing spots and ask one of the administrators for the residency program. From what I understand this is a good idea even if the program IS listing on NRMP/ERAS since not every program takes residents every year. there are a couple programs that still don't go through the match, but I'm not sure which ones these are. www.arro.org is very helpful for providing contact information/website addresses for all the different programs.

I personally am loading up on applications as well, looking at > 25. mostly I am making my decision on region of the country, volume of patients, equipment, how much of the requirements (peds, gyn, etc) have to be done off-site. At some point I may look through the Red Journal and the ASTRO annual meeting's listings from last year to see what places are putting out interesting (to me) research.

I don't buy the "lower tier" stuff either. All this US News & World Report rankings crap obsession is getting out of hand. You could be at the soi-disant #1 place in the country and STILL be miserable if it were a bad fit for YOU. <SOAPBOX>I think that the rankings are capitalizing on our overachievers' insecurities to always be at the "best" place and forget the fact that there are advantages and disadvantages everywhere. there's a thread over on one of the residency forums about the Hopkins IM program. Well, that's at the supposed "BEST" hospital in the country, but not everyone might want to be an IM resident there!</SOAPBOX> There was a thread a while back in this forum about the 10 best places to train for rad onc and there was some consensus about those (also, lots of good info about strengths and weaknesses for each program). However, I can't seem to find the thread to link to - what happened to it?

Beyond that, most of the programs are at big teaching hospitals and at this point, with a 30% match rate, I would be happy anywhere! We are certainly "in for it" this year :eek: but :luck:!

Also trying to decide where to send the app, and the best advice I've heard on how to do this is to not apply to anywhere you definately wouldn't go. For example, my wife doesn't want to got to the west coast. Both families are east of the mississippi. That throws out ucsf, standford, oregon, etc... A lot of plane fairs saved by not flying to interviews that I wouldn't rank. I still may apply to MDA, but haven't decided yet.

cheers and good luck with the process. See you out there.
rk

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I just don't which ones can be considered 'lower tier', if there is such a thing (people have been telling me that almost every program is damn good)...I don't buy the "lower tier" stuff either.

You're right...in practically every program (save for a handful), you will receive good clinical training. "Lower" tier programs in rad onc do not mean that they are necessarily inferior clinically. "Lower" = less academic in rad onc generally speaking. For those of you not sure of the lower tier programs, I believe there is an extensive thread here somewhere that posts varying opinions. Best thing to do is to ask around. Of course, different attendings will have different opinions as well, though some programs have universal agreeement (i.e. no one will argue that MDA is not top tier).

a couple of quick comments:
1) arro.org is a good place to start but its sort of a woeful web site.
2) dont get snotty about programs. Apply to as many as are acceptable to you. If you absolutely that no matter what you will NOT go to, say, Nebraska, ok fine then dont apply to anywhere there (is there a place there?). But if you really really ridiculously want to be a radiation oncologist, apply anywhere you will go. If the interviews come rolling in, then you can be more choosy. But right now you need them more than they need you. I dont care where you are at medical school.

3) as for the US news, you cant go by that because radonc and med onc are two very different things and just because, lets say, JHH onc is ranked number three, i can tell you jHH radonc isn't. UWISC i think is ranked in onc about #29. Radonc is way up there. Go ask your mentors, NOT the us news and world report.
Good luck for the next round.

bump - now that ERAS is opening up I was wondering how many programs people ended up applying to -

me: 22 (thus far)

word of advice is to apply to as many as you possibly can. this field is now harder than ortho, optho, neurosurg, and just as hard as derm. plus, the ratio of interviewees to spots is usually close to 30:1, unheard of in any field. think about it, in IM a given program may have 30 categorical spots. that means they would have to interview 900 4th year med students. in ortho, a program may have 8 spots...that means interviewing 240 students (about half of all 4th years who apply to ortho). when i interviewed at miami, they interviewed 40 students for 1 spot, plus students who rotated there (whom they didnt officially interview). nyu was about 50 students for 2 spots. if you make the initial investment of time and $$$, it will definitely pay off in the end.

Didn't really believe that programs would start downloading apps on the first day, but hopkins, UNC, tom jeff have all downloaded. Now if the med school office would just upload my letters...
Good luck all. :)
rk

Am I behind the curve already if I just sent out my application (talk about a painful procedure...but could be so much worse as in the pre-ERAS days)...If programs are downloading already, I am assuming several people have uploaded before me...but I had clinic this morning. How quickly does one need to get their apps in? Any advice is gratefully appreciated...

UHS05 said:
Am I behind the curve already if I just sent out my application (talk about a painful procedure...but could be so much worse as in the pre-ERAS days)...If programs are downloading already, I am assuming several people have uploaded before me...but I had clinic this morning. How quickly does one need to get their apps in? Any advice is gratefully appreciated...
i cant stress this enough: GET THEM IN NOW. Even if they dont send out interview invites till later, they starting filling up their little books NOW. As spaces are taken you have to look progessively better to get one. Its the difference at times between getting an interview and not getting one.
Good luck.

Thanks, as always, Steph. I did send them out but my now caffeinated-out, essayed out and ERAS app clicked out brain keeps telling me that sending them in earlier in the day would have been better (i.e taking off my first day of a new rotation) Hopefully that isn't true...is it??? Thanks in advance

stephew said:
i cant stress this enough: GET THEM IN NOW. Even if they dont send out interview invites till later, they starting filling up their little books NOW. As spaces are taken you have to look progessively better to get one. Its the difference at times between getting an interview and not getting one.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, just wanted to say Good luck everyone...it'll be an interesting next few months and I look forward to meeting many of you (hopefully ;) ) soon...Thanks for all the advice :thumbup:

ok, NOW I have butterflies, seeing that the programs have already started downloading the applications. no letters in yet, though. will programs send out interviews before getting all your letters in? when can we expect to hear from them?

pikachu said:
ok, NOW I have butterflies, seeing that the programs have already started downloading the applications. no letters in yet, though. will programs send out interviews before getting all your letters in? when can we expect to hear from them?

I suspect they'll wait till at least a couple of letters (esp. your rad-onc) + USMLE scores are in...How long does it take for NBME to send the Stpe I scores over?

Good luck all

It took them a little more than a day to upload mine...just long enough for me to start freaking out. after checking every five minutes all day, they are finally in. Nothing like a day off, where I have nothing else better to do but check on that type of thing and post on sdn...Is there a smilie for "neurotic with no life"?

pikachu said:
It took them a little more than a day to upload mine...just long enough for me to start freaking out. after checking every five minutes all day, they are finally in. Nothing like a day off, where I have nothing else better to do but check on that type of thing and post on sdn...Is there a smilie for "neurotic with no life"?

LOL :laugh: I feel just the same...

Step I scores came in a few moments ago...not downloaded by programs yet. Now if only my blessed registrar's office would get a move on and upload my transcript and LORs, I'll be set...or shall we say more nervous...I don't know. Its just the beginning and I can foresee a LOT of excessive sympathetic ANS activity over the months to come :eek:

At least we're not alone feeling this way. wait, wait, rush to get things done, wait, wait, repeat
I've now got 2 USMLE transcripts listed. Strange since I've only taken step 1 so far...? Now if my last letter would get scanned in. Figures its the chair's letter that he said was done last week.

good luck and see you on the interview trail...hopefully! :cool:

kimplera said:
At least we're not alone feeling this way. wait, wait, rush to get things done, wait, wait, repeat
I've now got 2 USMLE transcripts listed. Strange since I've only taken step 1 so far...? Now if my last letter would get scanned in. Figures its the chair's letter that he said was done last week.

that's the way it goes generally.

kimplera said:
Yeah, me too, does anyone out there know what the deal is with the 2 usmle transcripts?

:luck: :luck: :luck: to everyone, but ... how will we know each other? God knows my real name isn't "Pikachu" :)

Anyone have any advice about transcripts. My school doesn't release them until the dean's letters go out Nov 1 unless you're applying to an early match program. Is it worth raising heck to get this sent now?
thanks for your advice...
r

sitting in your little candidates room, sdn talk will start getting around.