Program visitation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trogghunter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a 3rd year hoping to visit some IM programs over Christmas break just for a few hours as I pass through the DC/Baltimore area. Would anyone suggest that this is a good idea, and does anyone know where to start? I'd like to see the hospitals in case I don't rotate through the program and maybe show my face to the staff. On the other hand, I don't know if there is some unwritten rule about bothering everyone with a tour, if they'd even provide one. Would I be contacting PDs or DMEs initially?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am a 3rd year hoping to visit some IM programs over Christmas break just for a few hours as I pass through the DC/Baltimore area. Would anyone suggest that this is a good idea, and does anyone know where to start? I'd like to see the hospitals in case I don't rotate through the program and maybe show my face to the staff. On the other hand, I don't know if there is some unwritten rule about bothering everyone with a tour, if they'd even provide one. Would I be contacting PDs or DMEs initially?
thanks

Don't be that guy.

In the thick of interview and holiday season, I'd say having a 3rd year stop by for a visit/tour WOULD be a bother.

That's what interview day is for.

Hello,
thanks

I wouldn't contact the programs. That would be weird and annoying. On the other hand, you can probably walk around the hospitals yourself without the programs knowing about it, but why would you want to spend your Christmas break like that?

I wouldn't contact the programs. That would be weird and annoying. On the other hand, you can probably walk around the hospitals yourself without the programs knowing about it, but why would you want to spend your Christmas break like that?

It's doubtful someone could just walk around any patient-care areas by him/herself these days. I know our facility requires full HIPAA certification for visitors doing any kind of observational activity, and access doors to patient wards are pass-code protected.

OP, I'd recommend not pursuing this idea, especially during the holidays when people often feel more stressed than usual. If you want to set up a special tour or brief shadowing experience, do it during the post-interview/pre-Match time frame and contact the PC or PD to set it up. But keep your expectations low...even if the tour/shadowing gets arranged for you, it might not translate into an invitation to interview if your application isn't strong, and you run the risk of making a negative impression that could counter-weight a strong application.

Don't do it. I know you want to appear enthusiastic about the programs but at best, you'll have people scratching their heads, asking, "Who asks for a tour of the hospital as a third year medical student?" and at worst making a bad impression. There aren't really many ways of making yourself memorable in a good way to programs other than doing an audition rotation and doing really well.

Don't do it. I know you want to appear enthusiastic about the programs but at best, you'll have people scratching their heads, asking, "Who asks for a tour of the hospital as a third year medical student?" and at worst making a bad impression. There aren't really many ways of making yourself memorable in a good way to programs other than doing an audition rotation and doing really well.

But showing up during the one brief respite period that program staff have during the application season (the Xmas/NY week) is a good way to make yourself memorable in a bad way.

As WS said, "don't be that guy." I can assure you that you will be "memorable" come application time. You won't like the outcome.

OP, thanks for a good laugh!

I'm guessing that since the OP even considered this, he will be 'that guy' on interview day in a year doing something rather awkward to leave that lasting impression.

OP, thanks for a good laugh!

I'm guessing that since the OP even considered this, he will be 'that guy' on interview day in a year doing something rather awkward to leave that lasting impression.

I just wasn't sure how the system worked, as I am a lowly 3rd year and the residents on my services have always said to show more enthusiasm than none. I figure that aside from having a staff member collapse and you being the one to revive them, there isn't much that will get you in anyone's good graces during a visit. Kind of a 'nothing to gain, everything to lose situation'. Honestly, thank you all for the input.
but...
It's just that I am just so awkward sometimes when I want to make a good first impression that I flop out my trouser trout and yell FULL CODE! FULL CODE! :xf: RESUSCITATE! Would that be ill advised too? I've surfed for my entire life, but for some reason, the pallor on it deceives me and I think that it's desanguinated.

I just wasn't sure how the system worked, as I am a lowly 3rd year and the residents on my services have always said to show more enthusiasm than none. I figure that aside from having a staff member collapse and you being the one to revive them, there isn't much that will get you in anyone's good graces during a visit. Kind of a 'nothing to gain, everything to lose situation'. Honestly, thank you all for the input.
but...
It's just that I am just so awkward sometimes when I want to make a good first impression that I flop out my trouser trout and yell FULL CODE! FULL CODE! :xf: RESUSCITATE! Would that be ill advised too? I've surfed for my entire life, but for some reason, the pallor on it deceives me and I think that it's desanguinated.

Although the timestamp says 4:54, I'm going to assume you started writing this at 4:20 and then got distracted by something shiny. There's really no other explanation.

but...

are you saying you ask people to jerk you/mouth to mouth?? when you want to make a good first impression??? no that is not ill advised. Go for it. sometimes i stuff my shorts when i want to make a good first impression. try that, that works too.