Apr 2, 2010
Status
.I have been reading this forum for the last few weeks but just registered...
. .
.I applied and was accepted to NYU’s Global MPH program, which is fairly new and is not yet accredited, or ranked. I decided to apply just a couple of weeks before the deadline and didn’t do much exploration of the programs available elsewhere. (This program is more or less local for me and it was a relatively easy application – because a previous advanced degree is required, the GREs are not.) Since then, I have explored other programs with a global/international focus and believe I could be competitive for some of the well-ranked ones... .
. .
.I am not sure if it makes sense to get a degree without accreditation, though the program is appealing and they have given me a decent scholarship (though it is still extremely pricey). I am leaning toward turning this down and applying more widely for next year, but at the same time I am *really* hesitant to delay starting for another year. .
. .
.What are your thoughts about the value of a MPH degree from an unaccredited program?.
. .
.Thanks!.

Stories

Life Afficianado
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I always thought that NYU's program was accredited? But regardless, I highly discourage people from applying to non-accredited programs because certain employers mandate education from an accredited program (eg. federal government).

Apr 2, 2010
Status
Thanks for responding!

NYU has an accredited community public health program in its Steinhardt school. The Global MPH program is different, and fairly new - classes began in 2006 (I have seen no reference to it on these forums - the one that is discussed is the accredited one). I like the focus and structure of the program, but I guess I know you're right.. sigh.

Feb 23, 2010
Status
Thanks for responding!

NYU has an accredited community public health program in its Steinhardt school. The Global MPH program is different, and fairly new - classes began in 2006 (I have seen no reference to it on these forums - the one that is discussed is the accredited one). I like the focus and structure of the program, but I guess I know you're right.. sigh.
Have they told you whether or not they're seeking accreditation? I looked on the website and found zero mention of it whatsoever which I thought was kind of surprising.

Jun 5, 2009
Status
trust me if u apply for a job and it says NYU & MPH on ur resume on it. no one is going to be bitching about accreditation.

Dec 9, 2009
Status
trust me if u apply for a job and it says NYU & MPH on ur resume on it. no one is going to be bitching about accreditation.
You cannot take that for granted. Especially when up against folks who have similar credentials and come from an accredited program. Like others have said, some jobs won't even look at you if your program isn't accredited. For all the money one can spend on a degree, why take the risk of it not being accredited?

Apr 2, 2010
Status
Have they told you whether or not they're seeking accreditation? I looked on the website and found zero mention of it whatsoever which I thought was kind of surprising.
I found out this week that they are in the process and expect accreditation in 2012, which is the year I would finish. I am more hopeful about this now, though I am still trying to determine if there's a disadvantage to beginning a program prior to its accreditation. I have contacted CEPH to see if they have any insight about it, but would love to know what people here think.

Thanks!

Stories

Life Afficianado
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I found out this week that they are in the process and expect accreditation in 2012, which is the year I would finish. I am more hopeful about this now, though I am still trying to determine if there's a disadvantage to beginning a program prior to its accreditation. I have contacted CEPH to see if they have any insight about it, but would love to know what people here think.

Thanks!
Generally, it's safe, but there is the remote possibility that they need to significantly overhaul their program to actually obtain the accreditation, which would delay the accreditation process. However, if they say they have an expected date of accreditation, it's probably okay.