Programs!! Dr. Cuts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

volvulus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a very difficult time figuring out details about many community programs in New York. I would like to know which ones are competitive and which ones not so much. In addition, if anyone, especially Cuts, has any information about these programs plsease email me. I am scared of just randomly applying to every one. There are just so many.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Cuts,
I too want to know the same for a dear friend who would be participating in this year's match.He has got awesome scores and not much beside them.He is also a bit cash strapped:( .Say if one is willing to apply to around 50 prog,which are the geographical areas he should stress on.General info would suffice.
Regards

I unfortunately could not apply to New York State or to California b/c of the school I graduated from (a relatively new Caribbean one). Thus, I can't really offer any first-hand info on NY programs. However, when I interviewed at Beth Israel in NJ (definitely apply to this place) I met up with some other IMGs that had applied to NYC programs. They told me that there were 3-4 NYC programs where they'd all landed interviews... I don't remember which ones they were, but they were all community programs in kind of run-down locations... but hey--Rads is Rads right? If one is limited as to how many programs he can apply to, what I would probably do is this: Apply to all community programs, except the ones in nice locations (these will likely be too competitive). Conversely, don't apply to any university programs, except the ones in undesirable locations. Forget Cali. Forget Texas. This should get you to right around 50-60 programs.

I hope this helps somewhat...

Thanks Cuts.
Your advice if nothing else will save his money.

I also beleive in the same adage(I am borrowing from you here)...matching rads in timbuctoo is better than matching in a powerhouse IM programme(with apologies to IM guys).

Regards