Programs strong in plastics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GenGts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the programs that have a fair share of plastic surgery as part of the OMFS training? I heard that Einstein has a good program, any others you guys know of?

Members don't see this ad.

What are the programs that have a fair share of plastic surgery as part of the OMFS training? I heard that Einstein has a good program, any others you guys know of?

What do you mean by, "a fair share of plastic surgery"?

Plastic Surgery is a surgical specialty with a broad scope of practice ranging from hand surgery to microvascular surgery to vaginoplasty to burns to craniofacial to full body cosmetics...

Are you erroneously referring to facial cosmetic surgery as, "plastic surgery?" Facial cosmetics is an area of head and neck surgery that falls within the purvey of multiple surgical disciplines in medicine and dentistry, including OMFS, PRS, OTOHNS, and Oculoplastics, to name a few.

Please use appropriate nomenclature.

I will get down off my soap-box now.

I think the OP means facial plastics. Which is OMFS, Plastics or ENT concentrating on facial esthetics. Facial plastics is a appropriate name for it. I'm sure that is what he/she meant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear Parkland does a lot. Case Western is reportedly starting a cosmetic surgery clinic with Quereshy to offer cosmetic surgery at greatly reduced fees.

Plastic Surgery is a surgical specialty with a broad scope of practice ranging from hand surgery to microvascular surgery to vaginoplasty to burns to craniofacial to full body cosmetics...

Are you erroneously referring to facial cosmetic surgery as, "plastic surgery?" Facial cosmetics is an area of head and neck surgery that falls within the purvey of multiple surgical disciplines in medicine and dentistry, including OMFS, PRS, OTOHNS, and Oculoplastics, to name a few.

Thank you for getting up on the soap box so I don't have to..... it is kind of neophite like to call soft tissue surgery and cosmetic surgery of the head and neck "plastic" or "facial plastic" surgery.... this is exactly what PRS would like us to do and I refuse. It is simply soft tissue surgery or cosmetic surgery. Plastics doesn't "own" this. Correctly stated it shouldn't be called by their specialty name!

Thank you for getting up on the soap box so I don't have to..... it is kind of neophite like to call soft tissue surgery and cosmetic surgery of the head and neck "plastic" or "facial plastic" surgery.... this is exactly what PRS would like us to do and I refuse. It is simply soft tissue surgery or cosmetic surgery. Plastics doesn't "own" this. Correctly stated it shouldn't be called by their specialty name!

True dat! From now on it shall be called oral and maxillofacial surgery.... for ugly people.

The plastic surgeons can call it maxillofacial- oral- cosmetic- recontructive surgery

LSU-NO does a good amount. Our program director did a 2 yr Cosmetic Sx fellowship.

Yeah, its called go to Med School and then become a Plastic Surgeon. Dentists aren't qualified for that stuff, I don't care what anybody says!!!

Dentists aren't qualified for that stuff, I don't care what anybody says!!!

Qualifications depend in part on training. There are some OMS who do a good amount of cosmetic surgery because they have been adequately trained.

Yeah, its called go to Med School and then become a Plastic Surgeon. Dentists aren't qualified for that stuff, I don't care what anybody says!!!

Gary "forced out of hiding due to absurd posts" Ruska here,

You clearly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about...GR especially likes the "I don't care what anybody says"...What exactly qualifies you, Mr. Jaybe, to make this claim? Do you have any surgical training whatsoever (perio doesn't count)?

The fact of the matter is - the ACGME requirements for number of facial procedures performed (e.g. rhinoplasties, rhytidectomies, etc.) for residency training in PRS are certainly attained and even exceeded at some OMFS programs. To add to that, most OMFS who do this type of surgery pursue some sort of advanced fellowship training...

You are right about one thing though...General dentists should not be doing these procedures. Oral surgeons, if properly trained, certainly can do these procedures.

That's an ignorant statement. Here's an ide, my friend...YOU shouldn't do cosmetic surgery....stick to Class 1 preps

That's an ignorant statement. Here's an ide, my friend...YOU shouldn't do cosmetic surgery....stick to Class 1 preps

i think Jaybe was making yet another joke that wasn't funny.

i think Jaybe was making yet another joke that wasn't funny.

Yeah, you caught me.

I'm quite proud to have scared up Gary "Rotating Middle Name" Ruska, though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you caught me.

I'm quite proud to have scared up Gary "Rotating Middle Name" Ruska, though!

Gary "Hoodwinked" Ruska here,

Cheers to Jaybe for rustling up the elusive GR.

Why are you such a stickler? You know what I mean and besides I'm in a dental residency forum, what else could I be talking about?

why can't we call it 'plastic' surgery? I hear that perio guys now refer to themselves as 'periodontal plastic surgeons'! If that isn't a load of crap, the words perio and surgeon should never be used in the same sentence.

why can't we call it 'plastic' surgery? I hear that perio guys now refer to themselves as 'periodontal plastic surgeons'! If that isn't a load of crap, the words perio and surgeon should never be used in the same sentence.

Please don't let what perio says substantiate anything OMFS's say. Many (not all) of them say things to make themselves feel better (more important) about what they do.

Personally, I still prefer the tried and true term - "Gum Gardeners"

:laugh:

LSU-NO does a good amount. Our program director did a 2 yr Cosmetic Sx fellowship.

so is that facial or complete plastic surgery? i.e. he doing breast implants?

so is that facial or complete plastic surgery? i.e. he doing breast implants?

He did a full body cosmetics fellowship.....which includes boobs.......he focuses on facial cosmetic sx now