Programs that require step 3 for IMGs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valid username

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to register for Step 3 but I can't because I haven't graduated yet. My last elective is in January, so I don't graduate for another 3 months. Too late for this match season.

Does this mean that 4th yr IMGs aren't eligible for these programs? I already applied at 2 not realizing Step3 was recommended. Any advice on emailing the programs? One of them was very high up on my list. It's not a top tier program by any means, but I have lived in the region and have strong community ties there. I am willing to take Step3 as soon as I am allowed to.

Members don't see this ad.

Usually, the only reason S3 is required is for an H1b visa. But if a program requires it of all IMG's, that's their prerogative. Taking it after Jan is not going to affect the match at all. You can either wait and see what happens, or reach out to programs. If you have a real draw to a program, it's not unreasonable to reach out and tell them that. If you applied to 100 programs and you plan to email all of them, unclear if that will really help.

I definitel have a draw to the program. I worked for that medical school for several years in a different department. The school takes almost all IMGs in psych. I have a lot of friends in the area. My children have friends there. So, it's kind of a big deal now that I realize my graduation date is not lining up.