Programs that supplement your income - $$$ for staying late or moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
heard something about sinai giving almost $500 for staying until 7pm on a normal day.. anybody know about this?

Members don't see this ad.

UCSFs old deal: work past 8p and you get to work tomorrow

Hilarious! That's a pretty good deal. They used to have a thing where if you stayed past 7 you'd get a $75 gift card for some restaurant (not sure how the selection was or how much control you had over where it was). My sense is that residents liked that (I did fellowship here, but not residency). As I understand it, the department started getting flak from either the medical school or the IM dept and so they had to stop doing it. The residents have been asking for moonlighting opportunities (I'm sure they see their IM and Surgery colleagues getting paid to cover work they used to do for free before the newest work hours restrictions and get envious), but who knows how that will come out.

UCSFs old deal: work past 8p and you get to work tomorrow

Also, I should mention the U of Chicago, where I trained, had a deal where if you stayed past a certain hour, you didn't work the next day. I want to say 9 or 10. Hard to say if that's better or worse than getting paid, but I like the occasional free day.

Some attendings would fudge the interpretation of what "stayed" meant so you'd have to come in anyway. Was it anesthesia end time, or when you dropped the patient off in the unit? Cunning little attendings...

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump. I would like to see how things have changed... any input ?

UT San Antonio - $65/hr anytime you stay after 3:30 pm for a non specialty rotation case. $100 to carry the pager for liver call, $65/hr if called in.

Sat OB shift 7am -7pm, $65/hr.

Moonlighting allowed if in good academic standings in CA-3 year. E.g. 6pm-6am shifts $85/hr at a LTAC 5mins away.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve looked over all of the other posts and without getting into specifics Sinai definitely offers the best moonlighting. If you interview or rotate with us we’re very open about actual numbers, just feels weird to throw it up on the interwebs.

UT San Antonio - $65/hr anytime you stay after 3:30 pm for a non specialty rotation case. $100 to carry the pager for liver call, $65/hr if called in.

Sat OB shift 7am -7pm, $65/hr.

Moonlighting allowed if in good academic standings in CA-3 year. E.g. 6pm-6am shifts $85/hr at a LTAC 5mins away.

Where I trained liver transplants were considered fun by many residents including me... So that seems like a good deal.

Reactions: 1 user
Where I trained liver transplants were considered fun by many residents including me... So that seems like a good deal.

They are good cases, but still id rather not come in at 3am to do a 12 hr liver transplant

One thing to keep in mind for those of you who care about moonlighting opportunities is to not only look at moonlighting pay but also BASE salary because it can be surprisingly different among programs! A program that pays 100/hr for some moonlighting but only pays 60k base is still worse in terms of $ than a program paying 50/hr but pays 75k base.

I had a liver transplant that started at 8:30 am one time. It was such a pleasant experience. hahaha

They are good cases, but still id rather not come in at 3am to do a 12 hr liver transplant

One thing to keep in mind for those of you who care about moonlighting opportunities is to not only look at moonlighting pay but also BASE salary because it can be surprisingly different among programs! A program that pays 100/hr for some moonlighting but only pays 60k base is still worse in terms of $ than a program paying 50/hr but pays 75k base.
If they're offering that much more, I would bet that the cost of living is much higher at the place where they pay $75k base. At the end of the day, purchasing power may be better for the resident making $60k base, and $100/hr moonlighting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If they're offering that much more, I would bet that the cost of living is much higher at the place where they pay $75k base. At the end of the day, purchasing power may be better for the resident making $60k base, and $100/hr moonlighting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Also base pay is determined by the institution, moonlighting/overtime pay is determined by the department.

I don't think I interviewed at a single place paying over 60K for PGY-1 except maybe 1.

Also, look at the cost of the health insurance if you've got a family (like me). I interviewed at some programs where residents paid $0 premiums even for their families. I interviewed at one program where the monthly premium was $850!!!!! They touted their low cost of living but then rip you apart with insurance. It took a lot of asking to find that out too.

Most were somewhere in between.

I think the 2 best places for moonlighting that I can remember on the interview trail were both in house moonlighting.

WashU - $500 a night on weekday nights to carry the code bag. Then moonlighting in the CTICU for something like $90/hr and sometimes more if they are struggling to get it covered they'll increase the total pay for a shift. One guy said that one time he got $1500 for a 12.5hr shift. There may be more, but I don't remember.

University of Kentucky has a lot of moonlighting @ $70/hr. This includes weekend CVICU shifts, weekend OB, weekend PACU, and then the occasional overnight or weekend OR shift that gets paid for reasons I didn't understand. Also $100 to carry the cardiac pager for a weekend with $70/hr if you get called in.

I interviewed at one program where the monthly premium was $850!!!!! They touted their low cost of living but then rip you apart with insurance. It took a lot of asking to find that out too.

Most were somewhere in between.

$850/month is actually super cheap. Low deductible PPO for an individual is $1300/mo in my area. Premiums have more than double since ACA was enacted...ironic.

I’ve looked over all of the other posts and without getting into specifics Sinai definitely offers the best moonlighting. If you interview or rotate with us we’re very open about actual numbers, just feels weird to throw it up on the interwebs.

lol now i kinda want to know...

$850/month is actually super cheap. Low deductible PPO for an individual is $1300/mo in my area. Premiums have more than double since ACA was enacted...ironic.
Except when you're a resident making $55K/yr. Ouch. Most of the residency programs I interviewed at I feel like people paid 200-400 a month for their premiums (for them and their family)

I $180 to cover family of 4 with $1500 deductively. $850 is absurd, sounds like what OU was.

Except when you're a resident making $55K/yr. Ouch. Most of the residency programs I interviewed at I feel like people paid 200-400 a month for their premiums (for them and their family)

I $180 to cover family of 4 with $1500 deductively. $850 is absurd, sounds like what OU was.

Yes I understand. That is not the actual cost of insurance. The residency programs rightly subsidize health insurance for residents. Even $850 is a big subsidy. The actual cost of a PPO plan for a family of 4 is over $2000/month.

Yes I understand. That is not the actual cost of insurance. The residency programs rightly subsidize health insurance for residents. Even $850 is a big subsidy. The actual cost of a PPO plan for a family of 4 is over $2000/month.
Indeed. I'm aware of the actual cost, only trying to share with applicants that the difference can be quite substantial!

You guys have notoriously expensive health insurance. I’m in basically the same market and pay $1200/mo for a bronze PPO for my family of 5.