Promotion Board!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disse

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out I'm in line for promotion (0-4 Navy).

If anyone can give the "promotion board for dummies" class I'd greatly appreciate it as I've been in civilian land for so long I have no clue what I need to do or what needs to be done to be selected.

I would REALLY hate to get passed over simply because I don't have an i or t crossed.

Although there are many advantages, the significant disadvantage of being out on deferment is not knowing where to start, what needs to be done, who to talk to etc...and all the wonderful military notices read like gobledygook.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're a physician, it should be pretty much automatic. It doesn't change how you do your job, and the only reason any physician cares about rank is because they tie your pay to it. If it wasn't that way, I'd have been content to remain an O-3 for my entire time.

If you're really interested in learning the whole OPR-writing game, carefully-crafting bullets (that really "pop!") and so forth, you can do that... but it probably doesn't matter unless you're going to be a career guy.

If you're a physician, it should be pretty much automatic. It doesn't change how you do your job, and the only reason any physician cares about rank is because they tie your pay to it. If it wasn't that way, I'd have been content to remain an O-3 for my entire time.
QUOTE]

This is exactly the reason I'm asking the question. We could use every penny and if I don't get promoted (i.e. "raise") for some stupid reason like I didn't send in some form I don't even know about I'll be pissed. Everyone here has says it is "automatic" for physicians but from looking at the list there are more than a few up for promotion who appear to have been passed over once before.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is exactly the reason I'm asking the question. We could use every penny and if I don't get promoted (i.e. "raise") for some stupid reason like I didn't send in some form I don't even know about I'll be pissed. Everyone here has says it is "automatic" for physicians but from looking at the list there are more than a few up for promotion who appear to have been passed over once before.

Thanks for the help.

I can't speak for the MC boards specifically - but here are some of the line board "low-hanging fruit" items.

* Updated picture (within 6 months and make sure your uniform in the pic is actually to regs!)
* FITREPS that cover all your time in service (i.e. there are no gaps in the reporting dates)
* most recent FITREP is in the BUPERS system (get a CD of your record if you have time to verify)
* all awards are in the system (check https://awards.navy.mil )

That's the quick and easy stuff I can think of off-hand. Good luck!!!:luck:

I can't speak for the MC boards specifically - but here are some of the line board "low-hanging fruit" items.

* Updated picture (within 6 months and make sure your uniform in the pic is actually to regs!)
* FITREPS that cover all your time in service (i.e. there are no gaps in the reporting dates)
* most recent FITREP is in the BUPERS system (get a CD of your record if you have time to verify)
* all awards are in the system (check https://awards.navy.mil )

That's the quick and easy stuff I can think of off-hand. Good luck!!!:luck:

The picture just came back after a short hiatus. Picture needs to be full length and in Khakis.

Promotion to O-4 in the MC is almost automatic. All are considered fully qualified and they look for reasons not to select you. If you are/have been in deferral status, the board recognizes this and will cut you a little slack. But do check for fitreps, you should have received non-observed ones every year you were in civilian training.

The picture just came back after a short hiatus. Picture needs to be full length and in Khakis.

Promotion to O-4 in the MC is almost automatic. All are considered fully qualified and they look for reasons not to select you. If you are/have been in deferral status, the board recognizes this and will cut you a little slack. But do check for fitreps, you should have received non-observed ones every year you were in civilian training.

Thanks for the responses--much appreciated!

how do i make sure i get non obsrved FITREP during my deferral?

:confused: I didn't know it went away!!! When did that happen? And since it is back again, why?

Not that I'd mind skipping that part. I could never get the "pleasant" but not smiling expression right. I just looked like I was having gas pain... plus I hated the unwritten rule that women were supposed to be in skirts. I would show up in pants and have to convince the salty old chief/first class that I wasn't trying to sabotage my career.

I realize that the OP is Navy, but speaking anecdotally from the AF side, it seems that promotion really is TOTALLY automatic as 44E3A has suggested. For example:

I have never had my picture taken or updated

I have never read my own OPR

I have never done any PME

One time I was notified that all of my paperwork for my O-4 board had been lost. I did nothing about it.

Shortly before my O-5 board, I was notified with some urgency that "The Air Force has no record that you have even been in the military since 2001!" I once again did nothing.

The Air Force has an incomplete record of all my "awards."

I was promoted to O-5.

:confused: I didn't know it went away!!! When did that happen? And since it is back again, why?

Not that I'd mind skipping that part. I could never get the "pleasant" but not smiling expression right. I just looked like I was having gas pain... plus I hated the unwritten rule that women were supposed to be in skirts. I would show up in pants and have to convince the salty old chief/first class that I wasn't trying to sabotage my career.

NAVADMIN 225/05 canceled the picture
NAVADMIN 103/07 brought it back.

Must make sure our officer corps demonstrates appropriate military bearing.

Not all awards are in this website. If you are unsure of command awards, contact the Admin department of that command to verify. The website above is missing a couple awards my last command received while I was stationed there.

Call me crazy, but I do not think that unit awards are going to play a significant role in your individual promotion. I'm pretty sure that there are some superior individuals, that for one reason or another, end up serving at a not-so-stellar command.

gosh, this could be useful as a sticky and if someone who sat on a board would add some pointers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found out I'm in line for promotion (0-4 Navy).

Well - the board convened today (May 15th) so there's not much for you to do at this point.

The good news is that if you're listed as in zone and have a pulse, you'll be promoted. If you have any felony convictions, and the board knows about it, that might derail you, but AFAIK not much else will.

The next step is to look at this list, and find your lineal number to determine when exactly you'll actually get promoted. Typically it's 5% per month for 8 months, followed by 15% per month for the rest of the fiscal year. So if you're #10 out of the 272, you'll likely pin on O-4 in October 2007; but if you're #250 it'll probably be September 2008.

Apparently the bachelor is below zone this year. Interesting.

Very interesting....

I was 'in-zone' for Navy promotion this year. I am inactive reserve status (deferred residency/fellowship) and contacted about 20 people to find out what I need to do for the board. I was told that it was automatic to go from 0-3 to 0-4, just make sure your fitreps are in order. One fitrep had been rejected and it took an act of god to change it (finally changed 1.5 months ago).

So...I checked the lists that have been posted by pgg and I am not on any of them... not good... (last time I checked I had a pulse, in case you are wondering ;)

Anyone have insight other than I am totally screwed out of a year of rank? Is it because this was only the ACTIVE duty board and not the RESERVE officer board--is there a difference?

Is it because this was only the ACTIVE duty board and not the RESERVE officer board--is there a difference?

Yes ... it looks like the Reserve O4 Staff board convenes June 13th. Here's the list of eligibles.

No idea where to find your lineal # relative to the other reservists in zone. The list I had came from a MSC friend.

Cool thanks for the info--I am on that list ;)

Now only time will tell....

Very interesting....

I was 'in-zone' for Navy promotion this year. I am inactive reserve status (deferred residency/fellowship) and contacted about 20 people to find out what I need to do for the board. I was told that it was automatic to go from 0-3 to 0-4, just make sure your fitreps are in order. One fitrep had been rejected and it took an act of god to change it (finally changed 1.5 months ago).

So...I checked the lists that have been posted by pgg and I am not on any of them... not good... (last time I checked I had a pulse, in case you are wondering ;)

Anyone have insight other than I am totally screwed out of a year of rank? Is it because this was only the ACTIVE duty board and not the RESERVE officer board--is there a difference?

This is my situation as well but I will start ACTIVE duty in July. I've found two errors on my file so far (missing to evals from medical school) and no one I've attempted to contact has ever gotten back to me. However, my other evaluations are all very good. Should I bother writing a letter to the board filling in blanks?

Again I am not some ego hound who seeks promotion because of all the wonderful glory and honor it means. I am, however, someone that if I am in line for something that may benefit me (i.e. pay etc.) and may not get for some trivial detail I'll be upset.

This is my situation as well but I will start ACTIVE duty in July. I've found two errors on my file so far (missing to evals from medical school) and no one I've attempted to contact has ever gotten back to me. However, my other evaluations are all very good. Should I bother writing a letter to the board filling in blanks?

Again I am not some ego hound who seeks promotion because of all the wonderful glory and honor it means. I am, however, someone that if I am in line for something that may benefit me (i.e. pay etc.) and may not get for some trivial detail I'll be upset.

Do not worry about med school fit reps. The board will not consider them. Making O-4 is not an issue unless you have done something bad.

Hey,

I like seeing that reserve board list. I got a friend who's a chief gen surg resident and he's in zone. I hope I'll be in zone when I'm a chief!

So the reserve promotion board meets today for my group (6/13)....

I figure that the results will be posted on the NAVADMIN in a couple of weeks at this site http://www.npc.navy.mil/Boards/ReserveOfficer . I will then be able to put-on sometime over the next year based on the 'running-mate' system (which I don't really understand).

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the above comments.

Good luck to those of you who are in the same boat!

So the reserve promotion board meets today for my group (6/13)....

I figure that the results will be posted on the NAVADMIN in a couple of weeks at this site http://www.npc.navy.mil/Boards/ReserveOfficer . I will then be able to put-on sometime over the next year based on the 'running-mate' system (which I don't really understand).

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the above comments.

Good luck to those of you who are in the same boat!

At least on the AD side, it takes about 3 months after the board before the list is published.