1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Promotion Board!

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by Disse, May 12, 2007.

1. Disse

Disse Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I just found out I'm in line for promotion (0-4 Navy).

If anyone can give the "promotion board for dummies" class I'd greatly appreciate it as I've been in civilian land for so long I have no clue what I need to do or what needs to be done to be selected.

I would REALLY hate to get passed over simply because I don't have an i or t crossed.

Although there are many advantages, the significant disadvantage of being out on deferment is not knowing where to start, what needs to be done, who to talk to etc...and all the wonderful military notices read like gobledygook.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ex-44E3A

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you're a physician, it should be pretty much automatic. It doesn't change how you do your job, and the only reason any physician cares about rank is because they tie your pay to it. If it wasn't that way, I'd have been content to remain an O-3 for my entire time.

If you're really interested in learning the whole OPR-writing game, carefully-crafting bullets (that really "pop!") and so forth, you can do that... but it probably doesn't matter unless you're going to be a career guy.

4. Disse

Disse Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

5. runningmom

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I can't speak for the MC boards specifically - but here are some of the line board "low-hanging fruit" items.

* Updated picture (within 6 months and make sure your uniform in the pic is actually to regs!)
    * FITREPS that cover all your time in service (i.e. there are no gaps in the reporting dates)
    * most recent FITREP is in the BUPERS system (get a CD of your record if you have time to verify)
    * all awards are in the system (check https://awards.navy.mil )

That's the quick and easy stuff I can think of off-hand. Good luck!!!:luck:

6. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The picture just came back after a short hiatus. Picture needs to be full length and in Khakis.

Promotion to O-4 in the MC is almost automatic. All are considered fully qualified and they look for reasons not to select you. If you are/have been in deferral status, the board recognizes this and will cut you a little slack. But do check for fitreps, you should have received non-observed ones every year you were in civilian training.

7. Disse

Disse Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks for the responses--much appreciated!

8. met19

met19 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    how do i make sure i get non obsrved FITREP during my deferral?

9. runningmom

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    :confused: I didn't know it went away!!! When did that happen? And since it is back again, why?

Not that I'd mind skipping that part. I could never get the "pleasant" but not smiling expression right. I just looked like I was having gas pain... plus I hated the unwritten rule that women were supposed to be in skirts. I would show up in pants and have to convince the salty old chief/first class that I wasn't trying to sabotage my career.

10. mitchconnie

mitchconnie Member
    10+ Year Member

I realize that the OP is Navy, but speaking anecdotally from the AF side, it seems that promotion really is TOTALLY automatic as 44E3A has suggested. For example:

I have never had my picture taken or updated

I have never read my own OPR

I have never done any PME

One time I was notified that all of my paperwork for my O-4 board had been lost. I did nothing about it.

Shortly before my O-5 board, I was notified with some urgency that "The Air Force has no record that you have even been in the military since 2001!" I once again did nothing.

The Air Force has an incomplete record of all my "awards."

I was promoted to O-5.

11. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    NAVADMIN 225/05 canceled the picture
    NAVADMIN 103/07 brought it back.

Must make sure our officer corps demonstrates appropriate military bearing.

12. Bubblehead-to-MD

Bubblehead-to-MD Emergency Blow!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Call me crazy, but I do not think that unit awards are going to play a significant role in your individual promotion. I'm pretty sure that there are some superior individuals, that for one reason or another, end up serving at a not-so-stellar command.

13. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Check with the GME office at NAVMED MPT&E (the Former NMETC).

14. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust
    10+ Year Member

gosh, this could be useful as a sticky and if someone who sat on a board would add some pointers.

15. pgg

pgg Laugh at me, will they?
    Moderator Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well - the board convened today (May 15th) so there's not much for you to do at this point.

The good news is that if you're listed as in zone and have a pulse, you'll be promoted. If you have any felony convictions, and the board knows about it, that might derail you, but AFAIK not much else will.

The next step is to look at this list, and find your lineal number to determine when exactly you'll actually get promoted. Typically it's 5% per month for 8 months, followed by 15% per month for the rest of the fiscal year. So if you're #10 out of the 272, you'll likely pin on O-4 in October 2007; but if you're #250 it'll probably be September 2008.

16. bobbyseal

bobbyseal Boat boy
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Apparently the bachelor is below zone this year. Interesting.

17. dEviantrAdiologist

dEviantrAdiologist Evacuation proctographer
    7+ Year Member

Very interesting....

I was 'in-zone' for Navy promotion this year. I am inactive reserve status (deferred residency/fellowship) and contacted about 20 people to find out what I need to do for the board. I was told that it was automatic to go from 0-3 to 0-4, just make sure your fitreps are in order. One fitrep had been rejected and it took an act of god to change it (finally changed 1.5 months ago).

So...I checked the lists that have been posted by pgg and I am not on any of them... not good... (last time I checked I had a pulse, in case you are wondering ;)

Anyone have insight other than I am totally screwed out of a year of rank? Is it because this was only the ACTIVE duty board and not the RESERVE officer board--is there a difference?

18. pgg

pgg Laugh at me, will they?
    Moderator Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes ... it looks like the Reserve O4 Staff board convenes June 13th. Here's the list of eligibles.

No idea where to find your lineal # relative to the other reservists in zone. The list I had came from a MSC friend.

19. dEviantrAdiologist

7+ Year Member

Cool thanks for the info--I am on that list ;)

Now only time will tell....

20. Disse

Disse Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

This is my situation as well but I will start ACTIVE duty in July. I've found two errors on my file so far (missing to evals from medical school) and no one I've attempted to contact has ever gotten back to me. However, my other evaluations are all very good. Should I bother writing a letter to the board filling in blanks?

Again I am not some ego hound who seeks promotion because of all the wonderful glory and honor it means. I am, however, someone that if I am in line for something that may benefit me (i.e. pay etc.) and may not get for some trivial detail I'll be upset.

21. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Do not worry about med school fit reps. The board will not consider them. Making O-4 is not an issue unless you have done something bad.

22. bobbyseal

bobbyseal Boat boy
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey,

I like seeing that reserve board list. I got a friend who's a chief gen surg resident and he's in zone. I hope I'll be in zone when I'm a chief!

23. NavyRecruiter

NavyRecruiter Navy Mustang

Non-Student
  24. NavyRecruiter

NavyRecruiter Navy Mustang

Non-Student
  25. dEviantrAdiologist

7+ Year Member

So the reserve promotion board meets today for my group (6/13)....

I figure that the results will be posted on the NAVADMIN in a couple of weeks at this site http://www.npc.navy.mil/Boards/ReserveOfficer . I will then be able to put-on sometime over the next year based on the 'running-mate' system (which I don't really understand).

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the above comments.

Good luck to those of you who are in the same boat!

26. Gastrapathy

Gastrapathy no longer apathetic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    At least on the AD side, it takes about 3 months after the board before the list is published.