Army Promotion to Major, Captain's Career Course, RIF and Service Obligation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProudMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just heard from an official source that only 12% of so of AMEDD's 800+ Captains get promoted to Major (the rest goes bye-bye). I find this to be quite shocking. I thought promotion to Major is basically guaranteed (100% promotion rate six years after graduation from med school), and that promotion to LTC is where the first competition starts, but even the promotion to O-5 rate is light years higher than 12%. I do know that the Army will soon go through significant reductions in force, so maybe that explains the low promotion rate?

Also, is the Captain's Career Course (AMEDD's 2 week version) required to make Major?

Finally, and this is a completely hypothetical situation (and very unlikely to happen) - if I am forced to separate from the Army (through no fault of my own but a severe RIF) before the end of my service obligation, will there be a financial penalty? This assumes, of course, that there is nothing wrong with my record and that the Army simply has no need for someone in my position. Does the Army have the authority to prematurely terminate my service contract (kick me out of the Army) and force me to repay them the money even if I am doing a competent job as an Army physician?

I will be attending USUHS this August, and at this point, I am considering a career in the Army. I would appreciate some responses from current Army doctors.

Members don't see this ad.

The stats you are quoting are for the AMEDD selection board which for everyone except doctors and dentists. We have our own selection board where the numbers to MAJ are much higher because it is a fully qualified board not a best qualified board. You do not currently need CCC for MAJ but they could change that on a whim, it is a requirement for LTC. You just need BOLC for MAJ

Reactions: 1 user
The stats you are quoting are for the AMEDD selection board which for everyone except doctors and dentists. We have our own selection board where the numbers to MAJ are much higher because it is a fully qualified board not a best qualified board. You do not currently need CCC for MAJ but they could change that on a whim, it is a requirement for LTC. You just need BOLC for MAJ

Got it. Thanks for the info.

But man do I feel sorry for the regular AMEDD officers. 12% to major sounds insanely low. I've always thought that in the Army in general, making it to O-5 is mostly a matter of doing your time and performing your duties competently. Maybe AMEDD just doesn't need that many senior officers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not spend too much energy worrying about non mc officers who are going to be your boss. By time you are done with medical school and training you will know what I mean. Good luck. You will need it.

I would not spend too much energy worrying about non mc officers who are going to be your boss. By time you are done with medical school and training you will know what I mean. Good luck. You will need it.

I thought most junior attending physicians have bosses who are also physicians (or at least other practitioners such as nurses from the Nursing Corps). Isn't the medical services corps considered a line unit?

Over the last few years every briefing I have ever heard on medical corps promotions they have said bolc is a requirement to MAJ

Over the last few years every briefing I have ever heard on medical corps promotions they have said bolc is a requirement to MAJ

Wait, so there are Majors who didn't attend BOLC? Were they direct commissions via FAP?

The impression I have is that if you don't attend BOLC, you won't even be able to get a residency.

Wait, so there are Majors who didn't attend BOLC? Were they direct commissions via FAP?

The impression I have is that if you don't attend BOLC, you won't even be able to get a residency.

I know people who did not attend BOLC before residency. However most if not all had to attend BOLC before their first duty station, which meant a TDY in transition to their first PCS duty station. One will not promote to MAJ without BOLC. Similarly now one will not promote to LTC without CCC.

If you have been only in training since you entered and provide a letter to the president of the board saying as much then they will prob still promote you but it's getting tougher, the bottom line is just go to Bolc, it's a simple class and why risk not being picked up for something so dumb

Good luck. I would be shocked if you did not get promoted to MAJ.

I've been away from the forum for a few years but thought I'd chime in.

Yes, there are O4's who have not attended BOLC but as you mentioned they were FAP. I was one of them. I did not attend BOLC until I was at my duty station for a year. As of 2010 no BOLC=no OCONUS including deployments.

Untrue about CCC for O5. I picked it up w/o CCC - still haven't attended and won't prior to ETS in a year. That being said, There was only one or two others that picked it up w/o CCC.

Not saying you should roll the dice but bottom line is that there are no absolutes.

And good luck Hooahdoc with the promotion.

BL, if you have the unfortunate predictament of a long obligation and your required TIS is > 12 years (meaning you will be eligible for promotion to LTC), you should do the CCC. It means an extra $20/day! You can take your family out to Chik-Fil-A everday.

If not, tell your command to go fly a kite. The course is a complete waste of time and taxpayer money. It doesn't make you a better officer and certainly doesn't make you a better physician.

If you want to be part of a merit-based system, leave the military. Promotion (thus pay) is based solely on TIS and checking the correct non-clinical boxes. A system that does not even acknowledge productivity or clinical results on its' yearly evaluation (see OER) is beyond broken. We (physicians) will always be viewed as a drain on resources in the military and thus treated as such. In the civilian world, we bring in the revenue and are treated commiserate with our position.

I still see and take care of Tricare patients as a civilian. These patients can see me within 2-3 days of consult placement because I am always willing to work them in. More patients I see = more revenue for my clinic. At the nearby post, these same patients wait 4-6 weeks because they are not worked in because they don't have to be based on Tricare rules for specialty visits. My buddy sees 20 pts/day and leaves by 3:30 while I see 40+ and leave when the work is done. Why would he work any harder to get the same paycheck? It is human nature and will never change. Also explains why the VA will never be able to handle their pt volume. The beauty of socialized medicine!