Promotions in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

accaldwe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This questions relates to anyone who did Army ROTC in undergrad and also took a HPSP Scholarship for Medical School.

I commissioned through ROTC in May... A buddy of mine who also commissioned with me now going to law school told me that we still get a promotion to 1LT after the standard 18 months. This is based off a classmate of his who is a 3rd year now in Law School who received a promotion in the mail.

I was curious based off some of this hear-say that it might be possible that I also get promoted to 1LT sometime in my 2nd year. However, I am thinking based off the HPSP contract, that I would stay as 2LT. It's not a big deal to me, but I was a little curious about it.

Members don't see this ad.

You are not promoted in medical school. You will supercede to O-3 upon graduation.

Correct. And it must be because of the HPSP contract. I don't know anything about deferred law students, but I was unceremoniously promoted to 1LT 24 months after finishing ROTC. Of course, as a non-HPSP medical student in the IRR, I wasn't being paid, so the promotion meant precisely squadoosh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct. And it must be because of the HPSP contract. I don't know anything about deferred law students, but I was unceremoniously promoted to 1LT 24 months after finishing ROTC. Of course, as a non-HPSP medical student in the IRR, I wasn't being paid, so the promotion meant precisely squadoosh.

Not because of the contract. Because of the law. When they wrote the HPSP law they stated student would be O1s. No provision for promotions.

I always thought it'd be cool if it was set up to make you an O-2 when you pass Step 1 and are in your clinical years of school.

One day when I'm in Congress...one day...:D