Suggestion Pronouns (Site Suggestion)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would it be beneficial to add pronouns to SDN?

• Yes

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters

Ms Procrastinator

I have no idea what I'm doing
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The site seems to upgrade a lot and one of the things that I think would be beneficial to add is a feature that displays pronouns (if the person chooses to make them visible). I struggle a lot with figuring out if a person is he, she, they, them etc on this site and I think visible pronouns would be useful. I know we're asked our gender in the account settings, but there's nothing about pronouns.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand that it might lead to sociopolitical discussions and some people may not be into it, but this is an anonymous site and a lot of times people just have letters as display pictures or names that don't help with identifying them. It's annoying to have to write they/them when I'm referring to someone I don't know in order to avoid offending them.

I really like this idea! I joined this site in 2014 and people thought I was a boy for a solid year.

More than that, it's just so much more respectful for people who don't fall into the binary he or she.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The site seems to upgrade a lot and one of the things that I think would be beneficial to add is a feature that displays pronouns (if the person chooses to make them visible). I struggle a lot with figuring out if a person is he, she, they, them etc on this site and I think visible pronouns would be useful. I know we're asked our gender in the account settings, but there's nothing about pronouns.
The problem you might run into if this were implemented is people still using pronouns incorrectly even if they are displayed. You can't force people to use the correct pronouns.

It's kind of like when I'm volunteering; I get a lot of older people who refer to me as "M'am" but I'm not married yet. You just have to ignore those people and move along.

Good suggestion. We should be able to make a pronoun selection option for those who'd like to use it.

Reactions: 6 users
Just wanted to point out that this is being discussed in the Lounge as well

I've added the option, which you can view in a member's profile. However, we need to make a template change for it to display properly on the threads.

Reactions: 4 users