Proof of Financial Means for Internationals; after accepted right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariambaby3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international applicant and many schools require that internationals be able to show financial means to support either 1, 2, 3, or all 4 years of their medical education.

I only need to do this if I am accepted right? I don't need to show proof of financial means prior to the school releasing a decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Of the schools I've looked at all, except Brown, want it after acceptance. Brown wants it when they invite you for an interview. It sucks but it is what it is.They're the only school I've heard wanting it before though.

From their website:
Funding is limited, and information regarding personal and family financial resources is requested prior to an interview. The ability to fund an international student will be considered before a final decision on admission.

Of the schools I've looked at all, except Brown, want it after acceptance. Brown wants it when they invite you for an interview. It sucks but it is what it is.They're the only school I've heard wanting it before though.

From their website:

In my case, I would have to go to a bank and ask my parents to help me undersign the loan for the 4-year tuition. What if I am not accepted?

Would something like a letter from the bank stating that I have been cleared for this loan be sufficient? This way, I don't have to go through and take out the loan until I know that I am accepted somewhere.