Proof of shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlplucien

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently been shadowing an Ophthalmologist, and I must say it has been a great experience and suggest that everybody try it.

My question, though, is do I need any type of proof that I shadowed for x amount of hours in order to put this on my med school apps? Should I ask him to write me a short statement that I did this? Or do I just claim that I shadowed for x amount of hours on my applications?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've recently been shadowing an Ophthalmologist, and I must say it has been a great experience and suggest that everybody try it.

My question, though, is do I need any type of proof that I shadowed for x amount of hours in order to put this on my med school apps? Should I ask him to write me a short statement that I did this? Or do I just claim that I shadowed for x amount of hours on my applications?

Thanks.

I doubt anyone is going to check. Just try to be as honest as possible and estimate. You definitely do not need to show any proof, so just be able to talk about your experiences.

Thanks.

I would. You don't have to use it when you apply, but it helps to have a letter from a clinical experience. It really depends on if he can write something substantial that would add to your application.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks.

The thing is that lying of any form is basically a career ruiner in medicine. While the odds of anyone checking behind you are slim, the consequences if you're caught lying are dire.

For anyone with even an outside shot at getting admitted to medical school, the potential benefit just isn't worth the risk. The adcoms know that, and any applicant with a lick of sense does, too. Thus, it works out fairly well, although I'm sure a fair amount of exaggerestimation goes on with applications.