Proper Title for non-EM trained doc working in ED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

figs1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am an IM graduate working in the ED. I am filling out my application on ERAS and i am having trouble describing my title. What is the proper way to describe my position? I do pretty much everything the board certified EM doc does, including teaching students and working with residents.

Do I describe my position as Emergency Department Physician? or Attending Physician in the ED?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

figs1 said:
Hi,
I am an IM graduate working in the ED. I am filling out my application on ERAS and i am having trouble describing my title. What is the proper way to describe my position? I do pretty much everything the board certified EM doc does, including teaching students and working with residents.

Do I describe my position as Emergency Department Physician? or Attending Physician in the ED?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

I think Emergency Medicine physician would be most appropriate. It will be obvious from the remainder of the application that your training is in IM. That doesn't change the fact that you are an Emergency medicine physician.

I think Emergency Medicine physician would be most appropriate....

Please correct me if I am wrong, but, does'nt Emergency Medicine Physician mean someone who has trained in an emergency medicine residency? The only reason I'm going into all of this is that I know there is this whole thing about terminology concerning EM (ER-not good,EP-good,ED-ok) and some attendings out there categorize these terms as holy or sacred. I just dont want to seem like I'm giving myself a title that some of the interveiwer's might object to, without recieving the proper training. I think it's all kind of silly myself but i guess it's just part of the song and dance of the interview process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanx mike and seaglass, appreciate your responses!

Since you are applying for an EM residency after completing an IM one, it should be apparent that you see the value in EM training. I think you'll be OK regardless of how you word it.

Having said that, I understand your concern. I think 'Attending ED Physician' would be a safe bet.

If you're looking closely at a couple of programs, you might just ask someone there about it.

Good luck!

Take care,
Jeff

Why can't you say what you are. It would be less wordy to just say you are an emergency physician. I know an FP and a Surgeon who have been doing EM for 20+ years and they now call themselves EM physicians. This concern about the thought police is silly. If you practice emergency medicine, you are an emergency physician. The only legal requirement to practice medicine is a license. After internship, all this residency and acgme/abms stuff is voluntary (though some of it is prudent). That said, what ever medicine you practice is what you do -- period.

How about something simpler - "Staff physician, ED"? or some variation.

I think Emergency Medicine physician would be most appropriate....

Please correct me if I am wrong, but, does'nt Emergency Medicine Physician mean someone who has trained in an emergency medicine residency? The only reason I'm going into all of this is that I know there is this whole thing about terminology concerning EM (ER-not good,EP-good,ED-ok) and some attendings out there categorize these terms as holy or sacred. I just dont want to seem like I'm giving myself a title that some of the interveiwer's might object to, without recieving the proper training. I think it's all kind of silly myself but i guess it's just part of the song and dance of the interview process.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's not like you are trying to misrepresent yourself, your training, or your experience. I think the people that get all riled up about the specifics of the wording really care about those situations, which don't apply to your case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 users
What's with the bumps from 5-10 years ago trying to start the conversation that board certification doesn't mean anything? This is the second I've seen this week.

What's with the bumps from 5-10 years ago trying to start the conversation that board certification doesn't mean anything? This is the second I've seen this week.
They were both necrobumped by Wahoowa23. My best guess from Wahoova23's history is that this person finished a FM residency and is somewhat upset that he/she is having a hard time finding EM jobs because they're not EM trained. Not sure why anyone else would want to keep dredging up these posts.

ABEM boarded docs are EM docs with all of the privileges....

Everyone else can call themselves whatever but not emergency physicians

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They were both necrobumped by Wahoowa23. My best guess from Wahoova23's history is that this person finished a FM residency and is somewhat upset that he/she is having a hard time finding EM jobs because they're not EM trained. Not sure why anyone else would want to keep dredging up these posts.

If that's the case Wahoowa23 isn't looking hard enough. They can't sign the FM guys fast enough in my neck of the woods and most are making $200+/hr.

Probably wants to live the good life in San Francisco or Boston.

Actually I did three residencies. EM, Pathology and FM. I'm in my third year of FM. I also practiced as a GP in the Navy for 4 years with just an internship under my belt. I am an old resident at this point but sick of all the partisan BS that is not grounded in reality. Thanks for the jab! I need those every once in a while...

Actually I did three residencies. EM, Pathology and FM. I'm in my third year of FM. I also practiced as a GP in the Navy for 4 years with just an internship under my belt. I am an old resident at this point but sick of all the partisan BS that is not grounded in reality. Thanks for the jab! I need those every once in a while...

I smell something......

What made you want to go through all these residencies?

What? I was going to try to come up with something clever but I'm neck deep in charts and exhausted right now so I'll just say: this makes no sense whatsoever and I don't believe you.

What? I was going to try to come up with something clever but I'm neck deep in charts and exhausted right now so I'll just say: this makes no sense whatsoever and I don't believe you.
You guys need to work on your reading comprehension. Note that he said he "did" 3 residencies, not "completed" 3 residencies.

Reactions: 2 users
I smell something......
Are you calling me a liar? I am a professional and take offense to the intimation.
I am not the first person to do more than one residency. The common thread between all three is a broad knowledge of disease (EM mostly acute presentations, pathology as it relates to all diseases, and FM which is very broad spectrum). This is partly because the Navy gave me a taste of primary care after my internship while I was a GMO. After my Naval Service (have you served your country in any way?), I went to an academic medical center for which EM burned me out so I thought I was going to throw in my Spurs on seeing patients at all. Then, I tried path and learned a quite a bit but then realized I would have to do at least 2 fellowships to get a job (path is saturated job market unlike EM and FM). What I realized is that I could apply what I learned in path to ambulatory and inpatient medicine. I always enjoyed my time as a GMO in the Navy but thought that EM would be an improvement (which I found to be wrong). So I gave FM a try and it was a perfect fit because AAFP and ABFM support me in covering an ER or urgent care, doing biopsies and other elective procedures, screening colonoscopies and EGDs, admit patients, deliver babies, or practice ambulatory medicine. Look at my other posts if you want to see how I am going to apply knowledge for a rural practice. I think it is unprofessional to accuse, even by intimation, a fellow physician of being a liar without objective evidence to support the claim.

If that's the case Wahoowa23 isn't looking hard enough. They can't sign the FM guys fast enough in my neck of the woods and most are making $200+/hr.
I agree. I'm not looking. They contact me all the time to cover ERs for >200/hr. I told the recruiters that I switched out of EM and they don't care. Just want someone to be BE/BC in FM. Albeit the jobs are often in lest desirable loci, but this goes to show you that there are not enough EM trained docs to meet the needs of the growing population. I live in San Diego and they have only recruited me for one urban ER -- the rest are in the very rural loci. I may pick up a few shifts to keep my skills and make some extra cash. Nice thing about the ER is that since I like to do my own central lines thoras/paras/lps etc on my admitted patients, the ER is a great way to maintain those. I did an airway month to refresh my airway skills in Aug just in case (we usually don't tube our admitted patients on the wards, code blue team does so I had gotten rusty on those beyond the few here and there in the ICU). Even if I don't end up doing emergency work, it was fantastic training for having an urgent care attached to my future clinic and also for properly managing patients I admit directly (imagine someone not dumping on the ER for once!).

Last edited:
Are you calling me a liar? I am a professional and take offense to the intimation.
I am not the first person to do more than one residency. The common thread between all three is a broad knowledge of disease (EM mostly acute presentations, pathology as it relates to all diseases, and FM which is very broad spectrum). This is partly because the Navy gave me a taste of primary care after my internship while I was a GMO. After my Naval Service (have you served your country in any way?), I went to an academic medical center for which EM burned me out so I thought I was going to throw in my Spurs on seeing patients at all. Then, I tried path and learned a quite a bit but then realized I would have to do at least 2 fellowships to get a job (path is saturated job market unlike EM and FM). What I realized is that I could apply what I learned in path to ambulatory and inpatient medicine. I always enjoyed my time as a GMO in the Navy but thought that EM would be an improvement (which I found to be wrong). So I gave FM a try and it was a perfect fit because AAFP and ABFM support me in covering an ER or urgent care, doing biopsies and other elective procedures, screening colonoscopies and EGDs, admit patients, deliver babies, or practice ambulatory medicine. Look at my other posts if you want to see how I am going to apply knowledge for a rural practice. I think it is unprofessional to accuse, even by intimation, a fellow physician of being a liar without objective evidence to support the claim.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1445196684.843715.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1445196697.907990.jpg

Reactions: 1 user