Proper way to withdraw acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greenlee

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked before, but times have changed. What is the proper way to withdraw from a school that you have been accepted to? Email? Snail mail? A letter via snail mail seems more official to me. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If there isn't a way to withdraw by a secondary portal or something like that, then a polite email to the admissions office should be sufficient. It's not like you need to send in your withdrawal on signed letterhead or anything.

I know this question has been asked before, but times have changed. What is the proper way to withdraw from a school that you have been accepted to? Email? Snail mail? A letter via snail mail seems more official to me. What do you all think?

Most places require an email with your information and intention to withdraw from the pool. I think snail mail would be less efficient and I personally would not do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Use email, it's more convenient for both sides.

Reactions: 3 users
and this may sound silly, but once you rescind, they give your spot away for good? there is no room to change your mind?

and this may sound silly, but once you rescind, they give your spot away for good? there is no room to change your mind?
why would you rescind if you weren't 100% sure? you have nothing to lose by staying if not

i'm 99% sure...and need to give up acceptance before april 30 apparently...

Question, in the email is it okay to ask for confirmation that the withdrawal request was received?

Question, in the email is it okay to ask for confirmation that the withdrawal request was received?

Yes. You should get confirmation that they rec'd your withdrawal, information about how your deposit is being returned and when. I'd give them 2 business days to respond, but if you haven't heard back by then I'd send them a very polite email asking for confirmation. Send it with your original email, if you can.

Send them a gif of you smashing a coffee mug from their school with a mug from from the school you chose.

(Just send an e-mail with your AMCAS ID at the bottom)

Reactions: 3 users