proper ways of withdrawing from schools


7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2003
    ok, so what is the proper etiquette in letting schools know that you want to withdraw your application?

    i want to withdraw from a school that accepted me, from a school that gave me an interview invite (early march), and from a couple of schools who i havent heard from post-secondary.

    i think i read before that for accepted schools it's better to write letters and for schools that i havent heard from at all a phone call or even email will suffice.

    thanks for the help


    I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    Aug 24, 2001
    La La land, having moved on with life.
    1. Pre-Veterinary
      Send an E-mail across the board. They get the information quickely so that they can let other people have your interview spot, and that is most appreciative. Here is a sample one:

      Dear Admission office of X school,
      I wouldlike to withdraw from consideration from X school. recently I have gotten into Y school,and while I really enjoyed my experience at X school, I feel Y is a better fit for me. Thank you so very much for your consideration and good luck in this cycle.




      7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Feb 18, 2004
      New Haven, CT
        If you know for sure that you do not want to attend a school that you have been accepted to then I think the proper protocal is call them and follow up with a letter telling them how much you appreciate the time and energy they put into your application. As for withdrawing from other schools who have either invited you for an interview or that you don't want to be considered at any longer, a phone call or email would be appropriate I believe. BUT make sure you if you are withdrawing that you are 100% sure you don't want to go there because going back on your decision I think is perceived as bad form (and they most likely are opening up other spaces for other students).
        About the Ads


        Senior Member
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jun 30, 2003
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          I have a couple of school that I haven't heard back from yet. I thought about telling them that I wasn't interested, but then I thought about it. I paid them the money, so I want to see what their decisions are. I want them to earn their money, reject or interview. So, I didn't contact any of those schools yet. Why let them off easy. They got you for 50 or 100 dollars.

          I'm letting them decide.
          About the Ads
          This thread is more than 17 years old.

          Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

          1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.